ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I consulted a bmw based forum on just this question. I got the following answer give or take:

BMW paint isnt necessarily hard. Some even argued it was soft. I guess that's a matter of opinion!

One thing that was mentioned was that it does have quite a thick clear coat which is very reassuring! Been meaning to do mine which will happen soon enough 😇

No, just f**king no! I'm actually starting to not enjoy coming into this section anymore. That's the second comment like this in a few weeks about the hardness of paint that is totally and utterly wrong. People don't see it as important but it helps breed the misinformation.

BMW is hard. It can't be soft because germans use ceramic clearcoat on their cars. As Renault have done for years, has anyone tried truly correcting an 05 clio or megane? Ask Jim at White details!

Anyway, can i make one serious suggestion. RESEARCH. RESEARCH. RESEARCH. Even google is good enough if it finds the right threads in Amercia and Britain. Detailing world has over a decade of searchable content. Some products have changed slightly but you can pick up most things.

We seem to be talking about water vessels and filters yet probably using the wrong shampoo to aid the water, or even the after spray and sheet the water off, £64.0 for filtered water? I can dry a car with a garden watering can or an open hose. You don't get water spotting if there is no water on the car.

You would actually be better off buying a small dryer than a water filter!

Is my rant finished? Probably not.

@TheEvilGiraffe Looks tremendous, the jetting the wax gives off is perfect. Gloss enhancing polishing from BF with a soft pad before Midnight fire will also enhance the finish. Or if you can find some Prima Amigo somewhere. Slickest glaze known to man!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lucky barsteward. Probably the best I got a car looking and feeling was 90%+ correction and a coat of Amigo via soft finishing pad and da, then zymol glasur over the top. I have images somewhere. Was insane!

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
No, just f**king no! I'm actually starting to not enjoy coming into this section anymore. That's the second comment like this in a few weeks about the hardness of paint that is totally and utterly wrong. People don't see it as important but it helps breed the misinformation.

BMW is hard. It can't be soft because germans use ceramic clearcoat on their cars. As Renault have done for years, has anyone tried truly correcting an 05 clio or megane? Ask Jim at White details!

Anyway, can i make one serious suggestion. RESEARCH. RESEARCH. RESEARCH. Even google is good enough if it finds the right threads in Amercia and Britain. Detailing world has over a decade of searchable content. Some products have changed slightly but you can pick up most things.

We seem to be talking about water vessels and filters yet probably using the wrong shampoo to aid the water, or even the after spray and sheet the water off, £64.0 for filtered water? I can dry a car with a garden watering can or an open hose. You don't get water spotting if there is no water on the car.

@TheEvilGiraffe Looks tremendous, the jetting the wax gives off is perfect. Gloss enhancing polishing from BF with a soft pad before Midnight fire will also enhance the finish. Or if you can find some Prima Amigo somewhere. Slickest glaze known to man!

Well, I can only apologise. As I said, I was quoting another forum that I had read. This is what this section is all about, is it not?

I get where you are coming from but instead of saying how much you dislike a section, why not make it a better place?

Nobody knows everything as I think I've perfectly pointed out. That's why I come to this section, to learn and ask questions.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5

Good for you.

Horses for courses and all that.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

So, how do you recommend stopping the water spots? Towel drying?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Mentioned it in this thread before but a Di vessel is probably the best thing I've bought for car cleaning. Can literally wash a black car in direct sun and leave it to dry without any water spots.

Even if you're using it weekly, the resin will last ages. Just make sure you get a TDS meter so you can take readings to make sure the resins still filtering as it should.

Hmm yes it sounds great but in all fairness, I have never really had any trouble with water spots, just towel dry with a drying aid and then blow out excess water if I feel the need to. It sounds good but I think I would probably feel it's too much messing about with the filter unless I can install it, foxed to a wall, easy to swap out.

Lucky barsteward. Probably the best I got a car looking and feeling was 90%+ correction and a coat of Amigo via soft finishing pad and da, then zymol glasur over the top. I have images somewhere. Was insane!

Hmm Glasur, one of my favorites!

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
I know that it can be hard especially if you live in a hard water area but if you are meticulous with how you go about your cleaning regime you will be fine.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
So, how do you recommend stopping the water spots? Towel drying?
Open hose, very slow so minimum splashing... Wash the water away from top to bottom.

Have a look on YT I'm sure there'll be vids showing you.

Be amazed how "dry" you can get a car with water.

Obvious things such as not washing your black car in bright hot sunlight helps too...

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Open hose, very slow so minimum splashing... Wash the water away from top to bottom.

Obvious things such as not washing your black car in bright hot sunlight helps too...

Thanks!

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i

I can also testify to this (not that you need me to 😂). Found a video and tried it next time I was cleaning the car. Was really impressive! Almost didnt need a drying towel

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So I detailed my Mk1 TT on Wednesday and it's looking good, hard to believe it's 20 years old...

The process and products used were as below:

1. Snow foam pre-wash with Bilt Hamber Auto Foam
2. Washed with Meguiars Gold Class shampoo and a microfibre mitt
3. Clay with Bilt Hamber Medium Grade clay with water as lubricant (really difficult to work with, want to get some softer clay as its rock solid..)
4. Compound with microfibre pad and Menzerna 300 Heavy cut compound - pad just kept clogging, will stick to foam pads in future
5. Polish with Meguiars M205 and a soft foam pad - very pleasant and easy to do
6. Gtecniq Liquid Crystal C2V3 to protect and add gloss - brilliant stuff
7. 303 Aerospace Protectant on tyres and trim
8. Exhaust tips polished with Autosol and an abrasive pad

Took me all bloody day! Well worth it because it'll stay protected and easy to clean for at least 6 months, crucial since its a black car. Used a dual action polisher for the first time as well, so much lighter and easier to handle than the Silverline rotary which is a pain to use!

Anybody have thoughts on any of these steps? Would you have done it differently? :)

pic (1).jpg
pic (3).jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I can only apologise. As I said, I was quoting another forum that I had read. This is what this section is all about, is it not?

I get where you are coming from but instead of saying how much you dislike a section, why not make it a better place?

Nobody knows everything as I think I've perfectly pointed out. That's why I come to this section, to learn and ask questions.
It wasn't even a rant at you, it was a rant in general. So much information online about these products and processes. You can actually help by researching and helping to help not just ask. I know it's easy to say.

I did almost the entire guide section on this part of the forum. So helping is what I do.

Guys like Rich Treen, JD, Andy (ABC detailing) Jim (white details) and loads of others have filled this section full of the best information and knowledge. Honestly, lose yourself for a few hours.

I'm just feeling when you come in here it's such a basic question that has an absolute millions answers. Frustrating when folk mention 10 different products and essentially the guy who asked the question isn't actually any further forward.

Anyway! I try my best to help, just a nod for people to research the s**t out of products. It's fun also and you learn so many niches etc through people who have used it. Come back here and post your findings and discuss.

It's probably one of my favourite subjects to chat about. I could wax lyrical about products for days.

Oh and sonax extreme. How different is that from the brilliant shine detailer? Assuming you've tried that like the rest of the world seems to have. (very grabby and not slick but very durable and a decent gloss)

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
So I detailed my Mk1 TT on Wednesday and it's looking good, hard to believe it's 20 years old...

The process and products used were as below:

1. Snow foam pre-wash with Bilt Hamber Auto Foam
2. Washed with Meguiars Gold Class shampoo and a microfibre mitt
3. Clay with Bilt Hamber Medium Grade clay with water as lubricant (really difficult to work with, want to get some softer clay as its rock solid..)
4. Compound with microfibre pad and Menzerna 300 Heavy cut compound - pad just kept clogging, will stick to foam pads in future
5. Polish with Meguiars M205 and a soft foam pad - very pleasant and easy to do
6. Gtecniq Liquid Crystal C2V3 to protect and add gloss - brilliant stuff
7. 303 Aerospace Protectant on tyres and trim
8. Exhaust tips polished with Autosol and an abrasive pad

Took me all bloody day! Well worth it because it'll stay protected and easy to clean for at least 6 months, crucial since its a black car. Used a dual action polisher for the first time as well, so much lighter and easier to handle than the Silverline rotary which is a pain to use!

Anybody have thoughts on any of these steps? Would you have done it differently? :)

View attachment 1462999View attachment 1462998
When i machine polish i give my car a full decontamination before claying i.e Tar remover,Fallout remover,then clay bar,the clogging sounds like you have used to much Menz polish on the microfibre pad and have not been cleaning it out regular during use...

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
303 Aerospace isn't worth the money for the dash.

Megs Interior detailer is really good and so is Poorboy's Natural Look.

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
When i machine polish i give my car a full decontamination before claying i.e Tar remover,Fallout remover,then clay bar,the clogging sounds like you have used to much Menz polish on the microfibre pad and have not been cleaning it out regular during use...
I forgot to mention I applied some bulk Iron Fallout remover...To be honest it was pretty unnecessary as not much was coming off with the clay anyway...

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
303 Aerospace isn't worth the money for the dash.

Megs Interior detailer is really good and so is Poorboy's Natural Look.
I don't put any dressing on the interior, pretty unnecessary if you ask me and not a fan of the awful "dressed interior" look! It does cost a tonne, cheery will check out those alternatives (y)

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
I forgot to mention I applied some bulk Iron Fallout remover...To be honest it was pretty unnecessary as not much was coming off with the clay anyway...
You will be supervised Mate,and your car being black its not the easiest colour to see fallout being broken down,its a process that should never be skipped especially if you are going to machine polish,its always a good idea to keep to the right routine and stick by it...

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
To clean the interior I used Asda All Purpose Cleaner (sold as floor cleaner but labelled as APC) - £1 for a litre bottle. Diluted 4:1 with water in a spray bottle and agitated with a detail brush it works VERY well on everything including leather seats. Don't tell anyone though as don't want it selling out...

pic.jpg

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
It wasn't even a rant at you, it was a rant in general. So much information online about these products and processes. You can actually help by researching and helping to help not just ask. I know it's easy to say.

I did almost the entire guide section on this part of the forum. So helping is what I do.

Guys like Rich Treen, JD, Andy (ABC detailing) Jim (white details) and loads of others have filled this section full of the best information and knowledge. Honestly, lose yourself for a few hours.

I'm just feeling when you come in here it's such a basic question that has an absolute millions answers. Frustrating when folk mention 10 different products and essentially the guy who asked the question isn't actually any further forward.

Anyway! I try my best to help, just a nod for people to research the s**t out of products. It's fun also and you learn so many niches etc through people who have used it. Come back here and post your findings and discuss.

It's probably one of my favourite subjects to chat about. I could wax lyrical about products for days.

Oh and sonax extreme. How different is that from the brilliant shine detailer? Assuming you've tried that like the rest of the world seems to have. (very grabby and not slick but very durable and a decent gloss)
I understand. It was a totally fair comment as I said. Not disputing you clearly know your stuff! I was just a bit taken aback is all 😂 .

I honestly love this section and detailing in general. Since changing cars it's why I've stuck with this forum. It's full of seriously helpful people.

Anyway. Enough butt hurtness (yeah that's a word now) and continue with the detailing adventure!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Oh and for what it's worth, these guys have a great range, make their own products and send them out. Really impressed.

Their quick detailer and by God I have literally tried hundreds over the last decade or so, is brilliant. Has that perfect flash off that a lot of the modern products don't have they streak and need a second wipe. Feels great to have found one, bit like Zaino Z6, with no compromise for a change and the price made it a no brainer.

Using this one 100k cars daily and now will be the only QD we use. I've never said that before.

I keep my z6/z8 for special occasions... 😊

20200304_091914-01.jpeg

20200227_135049-01.jpeg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No I don't work for them. No they don't pay me or my company. No I wasn't give the product to test.

I didn't even set up a trade account. I just like honest products and honest company. Still so many rebottlers put there just now and people are buying the same product with a different label.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
No I don't work for them. No they don't pay me or my company. No I wasn't give the product to test.

I didn't even set up a trade account. I just like honest products and honest company. Still so many rebottlers put there just now and people are buying the same product with a different label.
Any advice on the whole 'buying the same product just rebranded' situation? Obviously none of us want to be buying the same stuff if it's no different with our hard earned £

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Usually harder to tell these days. If they are new and small, they're probably not making their own products.

Guys like bilt hamber are chemists, scientist folk. They just so happen to be great at making products for example.

The auto finesse product tough coat I think it was called. Kinda caramel coloured spray sealant, I think about 6 companies had the same one. Not one of these companies owned the product they just bought it in.

Never hear the auto finesse desire debacle? It was rebranded angel wax so to speak and charged over £100 for it. Same colour same scent same wax.

Just be smart. Tried and tested companies are a good start then find the individual guys. Bouncers is a great example. I was testing jays first ever waxes years ago and look what it became. Another range of brilliant products.

I just hate seeing people waste money, especially detailing wise. Buy smart and research the s**t out of anything you are considering buying.

That's why products like say, born to be mild shampoo or bolt hamber auto foam are trusted because you can research them and find the niches, find what they do what's in them. Okay you need to try new products but be sceptical. Always, always in the detailing products, super sceptical.

f**k gtechniq sold the same product under 4 different names for years! And we all bought it!

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
Taken from my post that i did on detailing world,really impressed with this product...
stonejedi;5630545 said:
I was looking through some of my old products and came across ********** Wax QD...

aa6549470c740e54c6aa5fffe8f048a6.jpg

ad42157d1bbf22925299a53d745c2b50.jpg

b7b6ecb01ac07c5447cc5a38094e11a6.jpg

804d108f3344b6815061a75798689055.jpg

it’s my first ever use of it and in all honesty i was impressed with how it left my paint work looking and feeling very glossy and slick to the touch:thumb:.SJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk