ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thought as much. Hoped there was a miracle product I was missing but nope 😂

Have plenty I could've used on it sooner, but I can never be arsed over winter lol. Went over with autofinesse aqua coat/lavish after I was done so that should help from now on.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Seems a bit extreme to clean it that much. I live here on country roads and washing the car is a doddle with APC and a jetwash.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
This sounds like a daft question but is there an easy way to remove the dirt runs that end up down the doors from water that comes from the mirrors?

Had to resort to claying after a pre-wash, snow foam, contact wash and then going over with shampoo directly on the mitt as they still wouldn't come out. Also had gave it a blast of tar/fallout removers but they didn't budge until I clayed it.

Fair enough it hadn't been contact washed in 3ish months over winter but it's been jet washed with a pre-wash every couple of weeks.

Lack of sealant/wax? Wasn't really protected by much previously.

Take the mirror base off and clean behind it.

There will always be dirt trapped behind and that's what's causing it.

Clio 2.0 138hp
Has anyone found a good pad & polish combo for a mk3 ? Ive decided to sort my own car out after months of doing other peoples and i really cannot be bothered to get all my compounds and pads out to do test spots.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Take the mirror base off and clean behind it.

There will always be dirt trapped behind and that's what's causing it.
f**k that. Car's not even a year old. Probably seen 8 months out the showroom if it's lucky lol. I'm giving up cleaning if I need to start taking mirror bases off once a year 😂

I'm hoping a good coating helps. Thought black was difficult to keep clean...bright yellow is next level

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Whats wrong with my 97p buckets from B&Q? 😂 got orange and black so i can distinguish between my wash and rinse bucket?
Dont actually know if a grit guard will fit in it though?

Sponge? 😱 some might die at that, depends what you want to do to your car? Own car and want to minimise risk or swirls or lease car that send back end of term?

Personally i'd try and get intouch with local Autosmart guy and see they'd supply you, i'd go for their Duet shampoo, (wash and wax) but not very suddy and is fairly expensive think it was about £40 for 5 litres, but only need a small amount in bucket.

Sponge/mitt - they have a range on truck from sponge to mitt to synthetic lambswool. Or something like this?

Snow foam - not sure if gimmicky? I still snow foam myself and understand the theory, but i still have to wash by hand afterwards anyway? I can see it does take some dirt off but got to question how much before contact if required.

Benefit of having a snowfoam lance is that you can then use those sealant products - like Autosmart Aquaseal Pro if you dont have the time to wax your car afterwards.

Re fitment, im not too sure but someone who sells the lances may have more insight, i maybe wrong but i think the Halfords B&Q and Screwfix machines maybe very similar and someone might be able to sort you out?

Congrats on the house btw!

Edited to add:
Link to halfords snowfoam lance if yours is a PW10 or PW20?

Thanks for the tips; very helpful!

Has anyone used IODetail?

💬1 - IODETAIL - Car Care & Detailing Products - Based in Essex

Just learnt they're literally 15 minutes walk from my house. Not sure if they're open during lockdown but I might pop in there for recommendations.

Clio 2.0 138hp
Thanks for the tips; very helpful!

Has anyone used IODetail?

💬1 - IODETAIL - Car Care & Detailing Products - Based in Essex

Just learnt they're literally 15 minutes walk from my house. Not sure if they're open during lockdown but I might pop in there for recommendations.
Used them loads of times. Never had any issues. I always look at their stock before looking anywhere else. I think i did see they were offering click and collect somewhere but dont quote me on it

Clio 2.0 138hp
Used them loads of times. Never had any issues. I always look at their stock before looking anywhere else. I think i did see they were offering click and collect somewhere but dont quote me on it
Ive just checked their site and it literally says "We are also operating a click and collect service for local customers." Right at the top of the site in a blue banner

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Noice cheers. There's almost too much stuff on their website; get a bit lost lol. Further research required :)

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Whats some good products to get the silver bullets on my cup looking good again?
Thanks in advance.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
f**k that. Car's not even a year old. Probably seen 8 months out the showroom if it's lucky lol. I'm giving up cleaning if I need to start taking mirror bases off once a year 😂

I'm hoping a good coating helps. Thought black was difficult to keep clean...bright yellow is next level

Or blow dry the area to make sure you have all the rinse water out.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone found a good pad & polish combo for a mk3 ? Ive decided to sort my own car out after months of doing other peoples and i really cannot be bothered to get all my compounds and pads out to do test spots.
Sonax perfect finish is a good start. Usually anything Renault needs a heavy cut to move defects.

Is using rupes. Yellow pad on perfect finish is good with the correct technique.

Clio 2.0 138hp
Sonax perfect finish is a good start. Usually anything Renault needs a heavy cut to move defects.

Is using rupes. Yellow pad on perfect finish is good with the correct technique.
Nice one. Thats my usual starting point anyway. Probably have to use something heavier cut anyway, seeing as the previous owner appears to have used a brick to clean it. Boils my blood

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I'm probably going to use Prima Amigo or BH cleanse and a wax.
I've got a black car but drive quite a bit in country lanes and live near a farm, so needs to be fairly durable but nothing crazy as I'll wash the car fortnightly.
BH double speed wax gets good reviews and it's reasonable. Anything else I should consider under £30/40.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Durable wise only autoglym hd the new one. It's actually solid. I'd still rather have BH. 👍🏻

Britemax vantage for the summer...

Reactions: riz

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
More durable I think. Double speed wax gets a great write up and ease of use is up there. You can get a 50ml finis I think? If you didn't want the big one. I love the honesty of Bilt hamber.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
BH double speed wax is really good. I've still loads left and I bought it years ago, so good value for money!

It lasts more than 6months on the car.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Ok great thanks guys.

I've got an original megs g220. I was planning to use Prima Amigo or BH alternative for a quick fill and the wax. I can't be bothered spending hours there doing it but as I'm using the megs should I just get Scholl and polish using that?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It would at least cut a little rathe than fill. Aslong as it's one stage then it's no extra step really. Although glazing is easy.

Try triple also on a nice pad then wax. Great combo.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Forgot about Tripple. Free delivery and a free upgrade to a 1litre bottle.
Thanks, what Pad would I use with it?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I use a Bigfoot mkiii with white rupes pad. If g220 maybe a white chemical guys?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
How "long" do coatings last for? As do they wear off due to time or useage, if that makes sense?
As I have just put some AMDetails Hybrid Sealant on the Clio and E34 and it says 12 months of protection. The Clio lives outside and is used a lot where the E34 is inside a agarge 99% of the time. Don't want to like waste the stuff and re-apply next year when I don't need to (although at £30 a bottle and it was so easy to apply I wouldn't be too fussed and I also have over half a bottle left and I have done three cars with it)
I also applied their ceramic wax last May to the E34 and also my old M140i - which was still showing good results keeping clean up until the beginning of the month when I got rid of it.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
How "long" do coatings last for? As do they wear off due to time or useage, if that makes sense?
As I have just put some AMDetails Hybrid Sealant on the Clio and E34 and it says 12 months of protection. The Clio lives outside and is used a lot where the E34 is inside a agarge 99% of the time. Don't want to like waste the stuff and re-apply next year when I don't need to (although at £30 a bottle and it was so easy to apply I wouldn't be too fussed and I also have over half a bottle left and I have done three cars with it)
I also applied their ceramic wax last May to the E34 and also my old M140i - which was still showing good results keeping clean up until the beginning of the month when I got rid of it.

The proper accredited dealer applied coatings are like 5+ years.

That will however require maintenance washes and top ups.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
The proper accredited dealer applied coatings are like 5+ years.

That will however require maintenance washes and top ups.
Bought their Hybrid Detailer and Shampoo as well to use to top it up as per their instructions.
I was more getting at do they wear off over time or with washing it/exposure to the elements?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
They are usually affected mostly by surface contamination. That's why some coatings can be de tarred and clayed to restore the protection. Any spray sealant would offer 6 months at most and require topping.

What I find weird. If you have s spray sealant LSP. Why not just top it up after every 2nd wash for example? So easy.

Waxes and coatings are more time consuming.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
20210224_170345.jpg
20210224_170623.jpg
20210224_170409.jpg
20210224_170619.jpg

20210224_170634.jpg

I'm not sure if people have mentioned this, but this does wonders for sooted up exhausts. Pretty cheap from the likes of B&M, poundland, etc but sure the bigger shops sell it too.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
@RoastedCheese

If I'm using Tripple do I need to strip my car down prior to use ? I was planning on using TARDIS first to remove tar etc.
Is it needing clayed? Claying would help and also triple will go on better with a clean base? the triple will also help any light marring from clay.

If not, de iron and de tar then crack on. Make sure it's washed down thoroughly after tardis as it can sit on a panel and mess up the triple/wax.

I like to follow triple with a wax or spray wax/sealant, wax will add gloss and protection, spray something just helps make sure all triple removed and again a little gloss boost. see my next pictures...

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Claying would only need doing on the lower arches but I can't be arsed. The rest of the bodywork seems fairly good. Funnily enough the previous owner used to use Poorboy's Blackhole and it appears fairly glossy.

My plan was TARDIS, iron remover,Tripple and the finish off with BH finis wax. I got a small pot like you suggested

Clio 2.0 138hp
What's the best way to apply TARDIS?
Spray it on the area to pre-treat. Give it a few mins to work, you will see the tar starting to 'bleed'. Then give it a wipe over with a microfibre to remove the bulk of it. Generally need to go back and have another go at heavier spots by spraying some onto a cloth with your finger in it. Hold it on the spot for a few second before wiping it away. If you have really heavy tar spots or adhesive to remove id recommend soaking cotton pads in tardis and sticking them over the area to soak.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Get the microfibre damp also. Don't rub a dry one over the TARDIS. Spray the MF with some TARDIS when wiping over. Good tip I had 10 years ago was use the rectangle MF pads better than the cloth.