ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I couldn't figure out my new snowfoam lance last week. The tp of the nozzle goes wide and narrow, and there's a dial on the top which I assume dictates the amount of snowfoam/water mix from the lance to cannon.

I usually dilute snowfoam about 1:10 with water in the cup anyways.

Am I doing this wrong? What's the best for big frothy foam?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I couldn't figure out my new snowfoam lance last week. The tp of the nozzle goes wide and narrow, and there's a dial on the top which I assume dictates the amount of snowfoam/water mix from the lance to cannon.

Ive found the easiest thing to do is leave the 'top tap' for dilution, wide open so it gives max suds. I never really mess with it, more so the actual dilution ratio.

Max froth/suds/foam isnt always the best thing, just ask the BH Autofoam boys.

Which foam do you have?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Ive found the easiest thing to do is leave the 'top tap' for dilution, wide open so it gives max suds. I never really mess with it, more so the actual dilution ratio.

Max froth/suds/foam isnt always the best thing, just ask the BH Autofoam boys.

Which foam do you have?

Got one from Harry and one from Detailedonline

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Got one from Harry and one from Detailedonline
Ah I havent used those ones. Im sure @Hxrry will be able to comment. Depends heavily on the foam.

For example, some foams are just massive shaving foam fests but do basically nothing. Others, like Bilt Hamber Autofoam, are caustic and do really well at cleaning but are thinner by nature.

Thick Better. I tell my Mrs all the time.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

The nozzle is to adjust from a long stream to a fan type spray pattern.

The dial on top i have it set to max strength (i can't remember of the top of my head which direction that is, i 'think' it's set to full minus)

1:10 would only be about 100ml in a litre bottle, you'll probably find it a bit better with about 200-250ml or an inch or so.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Black cars are an ass. Shipped round with some s20 yesterday, looked great. But there was a few bits where it hazed. Yeah I know. But black shows stuff up, will never be perfect

Quick go over with some merzerna 3800 and it looks better, inside the workshop lol. I highly rate the merzerna products and my polisher (which I'm selling) worked faultlessly.

IMG_20220223_120230.jpg
IMG_20220223_120249.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yup. Tbf Im lucky I get time in work to keep on top of it. Just when you look round and think yeah could do with that painting, this painting. By the time you stop you may as well respray the car lol.

But it's 15 years old. 15, not 5. 👍

Reactions: MLB

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
What's people choice in tyre cleaner.

I've used and like autoglanz rebound. Detailed online do purge which is £20 for 5litres so good value.

Any other choices.

Reactions: riz

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Best I've ever used is Tuf Shine tyre cleaner. Not seen tyres come up that clean ever before. Works really well with their stiff bristle brush.

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader

I've used and like autoglanz rebound. Detailed online do purge which is £20 for 5litres so good value.

Any other choices.

Use a product that does tyres and wheels ;)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
What's the best product to keep my mudguards black?

I'm assuming c4, is there anything else cheaper?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Carpro Dlux is a wheel and trim coating, so effectively getting 2 for 1, making it cheaper.
So is C4 mate.

Gtechniq, ages ago, came out as saying that C4 (Trim Restorer) is the same as C5 (Wheel Ceramic?). Basically, go buy a bottle of C4 and you can use it pretty much everywhere. I believe some have even used it as a proper paintwork ceramic too.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5

Any other choices.
Gyeon Tyre or Tuf Shine. The latter cleans old dressings off like nothing I’ve ever tried. Particularly good with silicone based dressing which can be a pig to shift.

Garage Therapy wheel shampoo pretty good too - doesn’t strip like those above but if you’re using their Tyre Serum it should t need reapplying every wash anyway.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
sounds like a dumb question but how would you go about cleaning off tyre lube?

Just finished coating my wheels so cant go at it with anything harsh. Just leave it for a few days or go at it carefully? Hate the jizz all over the tyres

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
APC and a mf towel? APC won't hurt the wheels will it? Or just do the sidewalls for now.
Thats exactly the approach I'm about to take 🤣.

Depends if you're using @imprezaworks dilutions or usual dilutions 🤣.

i think its not advised to get anything other than water on them for a while to let everything cure properly. Probably being over cautious but they take forever to do so ill just go apc and a cloth

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Thats exactly the approach I'm about to take 🤣.

Depends if you're using @imprezaworks dilutions or usual dilutions 🤣.

i think its not advised to get anything other than water on them for a while to let everything cure properly. Probably being over cautious but they take forever to do so ill just go apc and a cloth

Surfex hd neat, whole car. Sorted. 🍻

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Used some Mezerna 400 on a yellow rupes pad yesterday just to get some scratches out from where a sticker had been. Result was lovely for little work. Is that a fine combo for the entire car?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Unless the paint is heavily scratched or exceptionally hard it does sound like a heavy compound to use.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers. What’s the negative of going too aggressive?

Generally, heavy cut polishes don't refine down very well. So in direct sunlight you'd see a ghosting/haze around the lightsource, rather than a crisp light.

It'd look glossy under non direct light, which is probably what you're seeing now after removing the light scratches. It's also the same trick a lot of detailers use when they bounce a light off a wall and then capture the reflection in the paint.