ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
What one step polish is recommended? Car I'm due to pick up is going to need a full going over (it's clean as it is but dealer prep and a tad swirly) so I'm looking at a one step before panel wipe and a ceramic coating
Sonax Perfect finish for me, incredible stuff, yellow pad and my rupes mkiii is a brilliant combo!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the perfect finish with lake country orange pad but if you're pushed for time at all then I can't recommend carpro essence enough. It's so bloody easy to use and it just works but probably wouldn't be as good with deeper swirling.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I am looking at ceramic coating my cars but before I go out and buy the stuff I have been eying up a curveball has been thrown in the mix.
Plan was to do the E34, the 60 and maybe the Clio if there is any left over.
I have used AMDetails Hybric Ceramic Wax at the moment and have used it for a few years now and I rate it. But fancied a change really.
Going to wash, decontaminate and then polish the car before coating it.
The stuff I had seen was Gyeon Q2 Cancoat and then use their snow foam, shampoo, ceramic detailer and sealant when I come to wash the car (I am a sucker for using the same brand for the whole cleaning process).
But then then GTechniq EXO v5 and Crystal Serum Light caught my eye and got me thinking is this a better product to use? It says 2-3 years protection (or in the case of my E34 that sees outside for about 2 weeks a year the rest of my life lol).
The Geyon Can Coat should easily cover 2 cars but the Gtechniqs I would need the larger quantity to coat both of the 5 series.

would the GTechniqs be worth the extra money but then the flip side is not having to do it next yeat? Both cars do not have perfect paint so would it really be overkill? I have used products from both brands in the past and thought they were both great at whatthey did.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I'd personally go for the Gtechniq stuff. The Exo alone is probably comparable to the Cancoat. CSL is definitely a more long term product to the others you mentioned the Exo on top just adds extra beading really.

I had CSL and Exo applied to my car 5 years ago and it failed long ago but that was nearly 50k miles ago too and it's outside all year round. The Exo V5 was just released so must be a fair bit better than the stuff I had too.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Autosmart Aquaseal Pro.

I cannot stress how good this product is. Was the car, clay the car, spray this on (via snow foam lance) and let it dwell for 30 seconds, rinse off. It leaves an unreal gloss and here is my truck after 10+ days of rain dust and bird s**t. Just pressure washed off, snow foamed, rinsed again, and dried. You can see how little dirt was left behind by how clean the microfibre is.

I honestly can’t rate this product any higher, it’s amazing.

Even the wheels/tryres/plastic arches are hydrophobic still after 10 days. It’s amazing!

And here is the cloth I used to dry it. Next to no dirt left behind after a simple snow Fam and rinse. Unreal!

IMG_7389.jpeg

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I really want to wash my TT today because its absolutely gopping. But, it's also blazing sunshine, and I don't want any water spots.

FML

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
IWow! I'll get a sample! 😂 So it cleans and seals at the same time or did you kitt wash it? @Daniel
No mate.

About 10 days ago I cleaned it properly and finished off with Aquaseal pro.

Today I just rinsed it, snow foamed it, rinsed it and dried it. And this was what I was left with.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like a potential handy drying aid that does. I've still got a load of BSD and Infinity wax rapid detailer to go through first mind.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

Ceramic coating for freshly refurbed wheels, what's the go to at the minute?

I've been going round and round in circles on YouTube so thought I would ask here instead 😅

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Has anyone ever had any luck polishing out light scratches from a windscreen? It’s on a bmw windscreen which seem to be notorious for scratches from wipers. There’s a small pass where maybe there’s been grit or something and I’d like it polished out

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone ever had any luck polishing out light scratches from a windscreen? It’s on a bmw windscreen which seem to be notorious for scratches from wipers. There’s a small pass where maybe there’s been grit or something and I’d like it polished out

Need a Rayon glass polishing disc on a machine with Carpro Ceriglass.

Might not get everything out though.

Reactions: Gus

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

No experience myself but there is a product called CeriGlass by Carpro and you can also get special glass pads for a polisher. It would probably take an eternity to get the scratches out though, if they even come out.

£40 for the product and pads + 3 hours work

Or just pay your windscreen excess and claim on insurance. An unfortunate hammer to the windscreen may be needed.

I'd go for a new screen.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
In all my years (and I’m an old c**t) I’ve seen many many glass polishing kits and I’ve never seen one work successfully.

As Gus says, I’d not waste your time and just go for a new screen.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Cheers gents, thought as much. It’s really not bad but in certain rain conditions it smears a bit. My issue with a new screen is the sealing issues some fitters have. I’ve known of folk getting windscreens installed and they leak and it’s back and forth to have it done again

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Cheers gents, thought as much. It’s really not bad but in certain rain conditions it smears a bit. My issue with a new screen is the sealing issues some fitters have. I’ve known of folk getting windscreens installed and they leak and it’s back and forth to have it done again

maybe try a ceramic coating like G1 for the time being? Should stop that smearing?

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

I've been going round and round in circles on YouTube so thought I would ask here instead 😅
Carpro Dlux is the best ime, My wheels get a proper hard time with aggressive brake pads and it's the only one that seems to actually stand up for a decent amount of time, coated my new wheels yesterday

20230521_170030.jpg

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

I've used Gyeon Q2 Quartz stuff. I have been impressed with it. Only went for that one as it boasted like a heat rating of like 800deg and wanted something for track wheels. Brake dust doesn't bake in and easily rinses off with little effort.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Slightly random question... I have a friend who owns a car body repair company he has courtesy cars and he asked me to valet them, not a detail but just get them looking okay for his customers. I've never done paid valeting work aso I have no idea what I should charge, any thoughts? What i did was,
  1. Snow Foam
  2. Decontamination
  3. Wash
  4. Tar Removal (there was loads on the near side)
  5. Wash
  6. Clay Bar
  7. Wash
  8. Dry
  9. Two stage machine (compound and polish - not full correction by any stretch)
  10. Wax
  11. Interior clean with wet vac on seats
Took me abut 6hr in total.

Im not fussed on making any money but he is really keen to pay me but I have no idea what to charge!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Slightly random question... I have a friend who owns a car body repair company he has courtesy cars and he asked me to valet them, not a detail but just get them looking okay for his customers. I've never done paid valeting work aso I have no idea what I should charge, any thoughts? What i did was,
  1. Snow Foam
  2. Decontamination
  3. Wash
  4. Tar Removal (there was loads on the near side)
  5. Wash
  6. Clay Bar
  7. Wash
  8. Dry
  9. Two stage machine (compound and polish - not full correction by any stretch)
  10. Wax
  11. Interior clean with wet vac on seats
Took me abut 6hr in total.

Im not fussed on making any money but he is really keen to pay me but I have no idea what to charge!
That’s 100% a detail and not a valet. A valet would consist of basic wash outside and inside to a decent level. What you’ve done is way way more than a valet. How many cars did you do in that time?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I thought that might be the case, but your message wasn’t completely clear. It’s my opinion and depends on standard but I’d say £100 ish for that. You really want to work out an hourly rate plus materials. Maybe actually more. Don’t undervalue it though

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I thought that might be the case, but your message wasn’t completely clear. It’s my opinion and depends on standard but I’d say £100 ish for that. You really want to work out an hourly rate plus materials. Maybe actually more. Don’t undervalue it though
Thanks, I think part of the challenge is that they are pretty bad to start with so doing a half job wouldn't cut it. From now on maintenance is easy so I probably do a bit more than is required.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Thanks, I think part of the challenge is that they are pretty bad to start with so doing a half job wouldn't cut it. From now on maintenance is easy so I probably do a bit more than is required.
Surely the fact he’s a Bodyshop he’ll have an idea on that kind of stuff and have a price in mind?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
@SharpyClio Having done a bit of 'detailing' on the side now, im in a position to offer some advice.

I started off doing the same thing as you, but for friends not a bodyshop. I also used to spend nigh on 6 hours, busting my arse, and usually charged a flat rate of £100 too.

But, as I got busier and busier, working almost every day off, I just thought 'f**k this, im ramping my prices up'. I now charge £20/hour and im still bloody busy. Like you, im not there to earn mega bucks. I just want something to do on my days off and usually the money goes towards my track time (now its the house). I also really enjoy the challenge of it.

I guess what im trying to get at is - Only you can decide if its worth it. If youre getting £100 for some spare time and thats fine by you, crack on! I weighed up my options and what I could earn at work and decided on that price. I also did a basic spreadsheet with the costs of materials and that helped my decision making.

Good luck! Car looks great btw :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Choose your hourly rate and work off that for the time being. Once you’re confident and you can look at a car and know how long it will take, you can charge a fixed price.
I charged myself out at £25 per hour when I started doing the trucks. 10 hours to do the job and the customer supplies the chemicals/work space. So I’m now at £250 per truck and I’ve been doing them long enough now I can do them in 4 hours. 5 if it’s properly bad. And now they pay for my experience and efficiency rather than an hourly rate.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Charge as much as you can without laughing!

Seriously though, while you should have agreed a rate before you did the work you can never negotiate up from your starting price. £100 for 6h work is only about £17/h, he's probably paying about this to his Jr mechanics if he has any, and if you've supplied your own equipment and materials I'd factor than in too.

Start at £200 for these first 3 then look at reducing for subsequent/continuing work as there won't be as much involved from your side as you're just maintaining the work you've done.

Remind him that his courtesy cars represent his workshop and if those are tatty his customers are going to think his work is tatty as well.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
My effing neighbour who thought he was helping rinsed my car while I was away as it was dusty and was watering our plants but obviously didnt dry it.

I funking live in a hard water area and have a black car.
I've used Surfex Hd and Garage therapy decon. It's removed most of it but there is still some white deposits left on the car.

Should I wash with vinegar and water? Or buy a water spot remover or both.

I'm mega pi$$Ed off!!!!

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
My effing neighbour who thought he was helping rinsed my car while I was away as it was dusty and was watering our plants but obviously didnt dry it.

I've used Surfex Hd and Garage therapy decon. It's removed most of it but there is still some white deposits left on the car.

I'm mega pi$$Ed off!!!!
id go for a proper dedicated water spot remover. It really does melt them away, in my experience. If they wont budge, they could be etched in but lets hope not for the moment.

Im sure your neighbour is just trying to be nice, but yeah, thats a pisser for you!

Reactions: riz

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin

I'm mega pi$$Ed off!!!!

CarPro spotless 😉