ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Engine Bay

Monaco Blue Mk2
I have oil in my engine bay, will take some pics later and get them up tomorrow as I don't think it's too good! What's the best thing to do? A normal bay detail, i.e. Foil wrap electrics, cover battery etc (Any other things to be wary of?) Then run engine for a couple of mins to warm slightly, spray liberally AG Engine and machine cleaner all over engine bay. Leave to stand for a few mins and then quicky hose off. Run engine again for a couple of mins to aid drying and then wipe down the rest with a microfibre.

Firstly, does that all sound about right or should I be scrubbing after applying the AG E&MC? Also will this be enough to clean the oil off?

Or, would I be just better getting it steam cleaned?

Thanks

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Be carefull with shite french electrics !!

Water + Renault = costly disasters

106 GTi
Use as little water as you need to remover the degreaser, work in small areas at a time, drying each bit as you go along, rather than spraying degreaser and water over the whole engine.

Monaco Blue Mk2
Okely Dokely! What ever you say Rich!!

Is it likely to work to get the oil off or should I get it steam cleaned?

Also Rich, What would be the best metal polish to polish the metal bits i.e. engine! Would this be effective at all or would it need to be wet sanded or done with a dremmel?

106 GTi
Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner or Meguiars All Purpose cleaner have always worked for me, never resorted to steam cleaning or pressure washing here.

What bits are you trying to polish, things that all ready are polished or polish things up that are unpolished and a raw finished?

I use Autosol or Autoglym Metal polish on all ready polished finishes.

Monaco Blue Mk2
Unpolished Rich, None of it was polished in the poor mans 1.4 :( lol. I didn't expect it would be possible to just polish it up to be honest, is there anything that will make it look a bit better though?

106 GTi
I would just clean it up the best you can with the degreaser, and lightly use metal polish on it.

Monaco Blue Mk2
Well, got up nice and early! Going out shortly so only had time to have a quick go with the AG and hosepipe. Firstly I ran the engine for a few mins, this aids drying later and also melts any grease and oil to amke easier cleaning. I covered all electrical connections in tin foil, the alternator, spark plugs and battery etc aswel. Due to not having much time I did it in two halfs rather than little bits like Rich said. To be honest if it was done in little bits it would be a better/cleaner end result but i didn't have time. So, I then sprayed AG Engine & Machine Cleaner over everything other than tinfoiled bits where possible. Sprayed loads on and left to sit for afew mins. Quickly rinsed off with hosepipe. (if anyone is using this for a bit of a guide or help, don't be alarmed to see & smell steam at this point) Then I wiped it all down with a microfibre. Repeated same process for the other half. Then ran the engine for a while and went for a short run to finish the drying.

The result: Well it looks a fair bit better under there, bit cleaner etc, Didn't have quite the results I was expecting and didn't make too much impression on the oil. I think I'll get it steam cleaned at a valeting place or a garage. The car does still work however so thats a bonus!! I've not managed to get water in anywhere too important! If your engine is fairly clean already the AG EMC will keep on top of it nicely. If however it was like mine and probably hadn't been cleaned for the 5-6 years of it's life then it will probably only tidy it up a bit.

Thanks Rich for your help.