ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Guys. 2 Questions..

I'm no expert at this stuff so need some advise. I think this is the place to ask...

1) One of my harnsesses has somehow got some mould on it, well at least I think it's mould. It's scattered with little dots. No idea what else it could be.

What's best to tackle this with? I've tried all kinds of soaps, washing detergent and vanish stain remover. But it still wont budge.. Can get some pics if needed.

2) What can I use to seal and protect my new coilovers before I fit them to the car? I've seen and heard about sealent sprays or something similar, but I know nothing about it so would love someone to just point me to exactly what I need, which they'd ideally used before and can recommend.

Cheers.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I'd try Detol spray first, remember the belt is going to be on you/ by your face! So f**k using tardis on it!

Coilovers, the best choice would be Gtechniq C5 because it will withstand the heat. It needs several other products for preparation though. A cheaper but less permenant solution woul dbe FK100p or maybe even Gtech C2V3

Is tardis bad then lol? I get similar stuff all over my hands :s

ill try a detol spray, but I'm assuming it'll be no dofferent to vanish stain remover?

With the coilovers. Is that stuff I'll need to rub or wipe on over every bit, or do I just spray over the whole thing. Sounds complicated and effort! Anyone who wants to do it for me in Surrey for some beer money and a pizza lol?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not a chemist so I can't say exactly how bad it is. But considering the metal container, and the things it dissolves, that's enough for me to be careful with it!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
As for the coilovers look at Bilt Hamber gear. Email them. I think Dynax UC is the one they recommend.

No better anti-corrosion stuff on the market than BH stuff.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Green or white mould will wipe off with normal hot soapy water and a damp cloth.

Black mould won't and is VERY stubborn. The only thing that will get rid of it permanently is Baby sterilising fluid. Buy it, pour it onto a clean microfibre and scrub away. A popular brand is Miltons.

GTD, Lupo
Metal container? I got it in a flimsy plastic bottle haha

I have a 5ltr tin and it has almost corroded away!

It can leave an oily residue on material so would avoid putting it on harnesses. Detol wipes would be your best bet!

It'll try some detol spray and wipes first. Sure I must have some of that in the cupboard already!

Then I'll give this baby sterilising fluid a go.

@gally I'll have a look into that BH stuff then for the ASTs. Do you know off hand if it's a spray or rub on etc?

Cheers chaps

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Spray on in most cases mate. Well worth finding the right stuff and applying properly.

Astra VXR NBG ED
What colour are the little dots? You may need some upholstery cleaner or as daft as it seems carpet cleaner!

That's if it is mould were talking about here

They're black mate. I had tried everything, literally. Probably 20+ stain removing products.

But thankfully @Mr.Potato is a genius. Baby sterilizing tablets are the only thing that's touched it.

I wasn't very hopeful at first, soaking and scrubbing had no effect. But I left it to soak over night and it has worked :)

Just got to finish off now and soak all the other bits which are still affected.

Nice one Daniel.

Spray on in most cases mate. Well worth finding the right stuff and applying properly.
@gally

Have you used this Dynax UC stuff before mate?

Mine arrived this week and was just about to have a go at sealing my coilovers now with it.

However I tested it on something else first and it comes out brown... is that right? I was really expecting a clear invisible type spray, almost like a deodorant. This is pretty thick and brown :S

Thought I'd ask you first to see if you know whether this is ok or not... Tried phoning BH but no answer after ages.

Was planning on spraying it very lightly and then rubbing over all the areas with a microfibre cloth. But didn't want to rub this brown stuff over without checking first, in case it was duff..

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sadly not mate. I used ACF-50 on my new FRP suspension and dynax S50 on inner arches. ACF-50 wasn't up to BH standards.

I'm surprised to see it have a colour. Although... if it's a light brown colour and it's protecting then no one will see it. Bilthamber are on another level when it comes to that stuff.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think you just spray and let it set. It's not a like a spray sealant. It leaves a proper film.