ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Devastated

Status
Not open for further replies.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted isn't the word, couple of hours ago some idiot decided to open their rear passenger door on me as I was passing through the petrol station causing the below damage:cry:.
It was clearly his fault for not looking before opening the door imo as I was right by the side of his car when it opened.
The guy who opened the door is trying to say I was speeding through the garage but that's just something that you don't do at any petrol staion with all the cars and people around....

IMG_20141207_161322_zpsnhqzbbm4.jpg

IMG_20141207_161400_zpsp8o48czb.jpg

IMG_20141207_161412_zpsxmjyx3f8.jpg

IMG_20141207_161412_zpsxmjyx3f8.jpg

Managed to get the CCTV footage of it as you can see.

1_zpsdca4c07a.png

2_zps1cf62366.png

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if it'll be a write off? Will need a new door and the side respraying. Proper pissed at the situation. As if you don't look before opening the door....

Transit & Death trap
Ouch!... Looks like the lanes are very close together, as you seem pretty close, but ultimately, he should have checked and your speed would be irrelevant.
And as you say, I very much doubt you were steaming through.
You going through insurance, or can you come to an agreement?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Not sure they'll be much I can do about it if they do? Apart from maybe buying it back and getting it fixed up.
It's booked in to have the belts done in Jan. Bloody glad I haven't just forked out for all that yet!

Very unlucky fella, least as you say it hasnt just had the belts done!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Ouch... That will go 50/50 on insurance as well 😧
Depending on how good the CCTV is it may well be alright. If they can show that the door didn't start opening until the front of his car is level with it, then it can't be his fault. Furthermore it could well show that he wasn't speeding at all.

Of course if it shoots 0.3fps then it's no good at all.

Reactions: Gus

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Depending on how good the CCTV is it may well be alright. If they can show that the door didn't start opening until the front of his car is level with it, then it can't be his fault. Furthermore it could well show that he wasn't speeding at all.

Of course if it shoots 0.3fps then it's no good at all.

It will be deemed as an accident from the rear (ooo err) driver should have been aware of other vehicles, as should 'door opener'.

Be surprised if the insurance company's want to argue it out over a small settlement that can be absorbed by both parties.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It will be deemed as an accident from the rear (ooo err) driver should have been aware of other vehicles, as should 'door opener'.

Be surprised if the insurance company's want to argue it out over a small settlement that can be absorbed by both parties.
Yes, but if the car is alongside then it is too late to claim that the car driver should have seen it. The door was opened into the side of the OP's car, not the OP's car driving into an opening door.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Yes, but if the car is alongside then it is too late to claim that the car driver should have seen it. The door was opened into the side of the OP's car, not the OP's car driving into an opening door.

Hopefully so...

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

I'm really not sure where you get your info from but that's not the case. Door opening is a case of disputed liability and will be decided between the 2 insurance companies and likely 100% fault of the person who opened their door with CCTV like that.

The only circumstances where it's usually deemed 100% fault straight away are vehicle into rear, out of side road and colliding with stationary vehicle.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I made no mention of 100% fault, nor did I state it would go one way or the other only that I expected it to go 50/50.

Having been party to a forecourt claim which resulted in a court case (although slightly different as there was injury) my experience is of a 50/50 result.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
What a tosser, have you told him you have cctv evidence that he was an utter turnip?

Try and pressure him into paying for the repairs.

It was me that went in and asked for the cctv as I know I was doing nothing wrong and we both got a dvd of it. The pics above are one frame to the next so not a great frame rate.

Transit & Death trap
@
Llewellyn
Going through insurance. To much messing about not to and tbh with the people in the other car I wouldn't want to try and sort it out outside of it.

It'll probably get written off, which is a shame really.
And it's mad what gets deemed a write off, I have just bought a 182 that was written off because of a damaged headlight and cracked wing!
Hope you get it sorted as hassle free as possible though.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Not really sure why everyone thinks it's a write off. Wild speculation there.

If it was me i'd certainly have a little word with the insurance about the other person's involvement in the accident. They may think it's worth chasing up.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone know if sky insurance let you buy back if the worst comes to the worst?
Everyone is entitled to buy their car back. It is yours after all.

PM me the reg mate i'll help you out in regards to costs etc. Have you spoken to the insurance yet? Sky are obviously the broker so you need to find out who your insurance company is.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted for you mate, driver of the other car sounds like a c**t. Hopefully the insurance sides with you.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
From the thread title I was expecting to hear a family member had died or was suffering a terminal illness.
I'm not sure i'd be 'devastated' about some damage on a 10 year old clio tbh. Pissed off probably.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I guess it depends on how well you've jelled with one @Daniel, or how much time/effort/money you've put into one.

Cars are like hot dinners to you so I guess you get rid of them before you get attached! :wink:
I've had my clio since 2008!

Transit & Death trap
Not really sure why everyone thinks it's a write off. Wild speculation there.

If it was me i'd certainly have a little word with the insurance about the other person's involvement in the accident. They may think it's worth chasing up.
Only reason I would suggest a write off, is due to the Clio I just bought and also having seen a fair few with only light panel damage that get written off.
I just got one with a busted headlight and wing, but that's it and it was written off!
The insurance company may well deem it financially viable to repair, but I suppose it will depend on the overall value of the car, against the cost of repair.
New wing
New door
New wing mirror
New rear quarter or labour to repair
Labour to fit, prep and paint down one side
I can see it adding up to a fair amount and they'll no doubt get quoted for genuine parts too.

Status
Not open for further replies.