ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference between 1.8 16V ph1 & ph2

Vento TDI

Hi all.

Im looking at buying a Clio 1.8 16V. Whats the difference between the Phase 1 and Phase 2? Whats the easiest way of telling, I have been looking at the grills as they seem slightly different.

Whats the best one to go for? I understand engine and performance is the same?

Cheers,

Alex

wheels is your biggest giveaway if standard, multi spoke turbines as opposed to cloverleaf shape. more drivers seat adjustments on ph2. badge on back is on car body on ph2 rather than clear plastic strip. different grill and minor body differences.

Phase 1 - smaller wing mirrors, slatted grille, "flat" rear lights and grey plastic bootstrip. Bump strips are thin with a chrome insert, 16v badge beside side repeater, racing (non airbag) steering wheel...

Phase 2 - rounder wing mirrors (larger), "u-shaped" grille, more bulbus rear lights with carbon effect boot strip, 1.8/16v badge now on wider side bump strips, airbag...

Out of preference youd probably be "best" with a phase 2 as you get some safety features and it hopefully wont rattle as much. However buy the best you can find - be that phase 1 or 2....

Differences between Ph1/Ph2:

Side Strips - Ph1 are thin, Ph2 are bigger and rounded.
Ph1 16v Badges are around the indicator, Ph2 16v Badges are on the bump strips.
Boot Strip - Plain Black on Ph1, Ph2 is larger and is black/grey/see through almost
Ph1 has smaller, "triangle almost" mirrors, Ph2 has larger items
Boot Badges are on Boot Strip on Ph1, They are on the tailgate on Ph2.
Rear Lights are flat on Ph1, Bubbley on Ph2 and match boot strip at bottom.
Green or Blue Flecks on Seats and no Lumbar/Height Adjustment on Ph1, Ph2 has Grey markings on Black cloth with height and lumbar support.
Ph1 Has Orange needles on the dials, Ph2 has white.
Ph1 has bigger heater controls, Ph2 has smaller items (and more rounded).
Ph1 has a black front grill, with slot in middle. Ph2 has a colour-coded grill with upturns at the end.
Ph1 has Yellow Fogs, Ph2 has White.
Ph1 doesnt have as much sound deadening than Ph2 (I think).
Ph1 doesnt have side impact bars in the doors, Ph2 does.
Some Ph2s had an airbag (later ones.. 95+ I think?)
Then, we have J reg Valvers, which were early Phase1s. They differed from normal phase1s in:

Only a Tilt Manual Sunroof as opposed to the electric tilt and slide found in later Ph1/Ph2.
Blue/Yellow Fleck RenaultSport old Logo seats
No One-Touch Drivers side electric windows
RenaultSport Logo on Doors
Different steering wheel centre than later Ph1/Ph2
Im sure there are more, but thats what Ive just thought of sitting here... heh.

Hope this helps!

I might put the Phase1/2 16v differences on my website.. makes a good reference.. same as my Williams page with the differences between the 1, 2 and 3.

Vento TDI

Cheers people. I did do a search before posting, as I thought it may have been posted loads before.