ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dirt 2

I still can't take to this. I'll try it on PC with the G25. Not impressed with the PS3 demo at all. The handling seems very shallow.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Just played demo, replays look amazing, the Baja race is quite good.

When I got onto the eclipse race I was like WTF the handling is crazy, it feels like you have no grip at all, if you brake you just seem to slide so it's hard to get the right speed going into corners, it feels like the car is on a sheet of ice all the time. There's not much difference between moving the joystick slightly an slamming it about. I hope there is a sensitivity option or even better, it's just the eclipse and cars like the scoob are way better. Can't wait to have a go with one of them.

I'll be getting it anyway as it's the best rally game.

Oil Burner
Demo did nothing at all for me, the graphics seem to be identical to grid. The cars seemed to have no feel to the initial turn in. Shame i really liked the original.

DCi
Just played demo, replays look amazing, the Baja race is quite good.

When I got onto the eclipse race I was like WTF the handling is crazy, it feels like you have no grip at all, if you brake you just seem to slide so it's hard to get the right speed going into corners, it feels like the car is on a sheet of ice all the time. There's not much difference between moving the joystick slightly an slamming it about. I hope there is a sensitivity option or even better, it's just the eclipse and cars like the scoob are way better. Can't wait to have a go with one of them.

I'll be getting it anyway as it's the best rally game.
exactly what i thought.

baja racing on xbox live is great though

BMW F31
having played it again on morocco course with the eclipse, i found the harder you made it the harder it was to control the car round corners (felt like on sheet of ice), the easier you made it the easier the car would grip and go round corners?!

also played it online last night with a load of yanks and it was really good fun tbh.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i can see what they are trying to do with the game, but for me it doesn't work. Graphics are ok, nothing too special so far and the handling is a bit iffy. Not quite sure where colin mcrae fits into all this, its a far cry from proper rallying and just turned into a "x-games" type affair.

Not quite sure where colin mcrae fits into all this, its a far cry from proper rallying and just turned into a "x-games" type affair.

This is where McRae fits into the game. I think the WRC portion of the game will be tiny.

motorsSNA22M13A_339081a.jpg

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Review from Ign.com

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1021183p1.html

DiRT 2 UK Review

Mud, sweat and gears.

by Martin Robinson, IGN UK

Type=count&ClientType=2&ASeg=&AMod=&AOpt=0&AdID=140299&FlightID=126835&TargetID=8633&EntityDefResetFlag=0&Segments=1,255,264,348,1931,2092,2733,2863,3219,3494,3943,3975,3982,4170,4178,4834,4951,5015,5036,5497,5527,5638,5718,5727,5736,5792,6486,6654,6657,6671,6701,7752,8587,9443,10327,10564,10606,10725,10820,11071,11754,12248,14075,15996,17864,17902,18277&Targets=17164,6743,7873,17306,7697,8633,10619,11620,21183,15112,19618&Values=25,31,43,51,60,72,84,93,100,110,150,190,225,226,227,235,268,469,829,1190,1404,1481,1503,1591,2662,2679,2680,2721,3494,4056,4295,4525,4799,5666,8052,8157,8211,8243,8245,8486,9113,9117,58218,58329,58966,58968,59328,59609,59895,60487&RawValues=&random=cswIAIo,bfkbqWixktWoy

UK, September 3, 2009 - It sets out its stall early on, opening with a raucous rally-cross race through a deserted Battersea Power Station under some rare London sun, with the drivers – Ken Block, Dave Mirra and a host of real-life names from America's X Game series – all chiding each other to the soundtrack of spluttering exhausts and sparkling indie-rock. Anyone who balked at the US twang the Colin McRae series picked up in the first DiRT will be initially appalled at the sequel's open-armed embrace of the extreme end of off-road motorsport, but it's hard to stay narked for too long – DiRT 2 takes the template of the original and polishes it to within an inch of its life, resulting in one of the most downright exciting driving games in many a year.

dirt-2-20090903065536379.jpg
Click through to see the exclusive launch trailer.

The X Games forms a loose framework for the game's world tour which drinks in nearly every facet of off-road racing and spits out a hyper-charged version of its real-world inspiration. Raids take in the humid jungles of Malaysia and the deserts of Baja, rally-cross events play out in front of packed stadiums in LA and London and onto the streets of Tokyo while Trailblazers send players solo across the plains of Morocco and China, and for the traditionalists there's still a hearty slice of old-school rally action in the mix – and they're all portrayed through a hyperactive filter. Like Codemasters' previous racing games, variety is key – but in DiRT 2 there's a newfound level of cohesion across the numerous disciplines on display.

Tying the game together is another of the studios' lavishly-produced menu systems, this time framed within and around the player's globe-trotting RV. Inside the authentically grotty vehicle – a discarded pair of overalls is slung across a sofa, while clouds of dust hang tangibly in the air – maps, magazines and posters act as portals for the game's many activities. Outside, the player's vehicle sits waiting under an awning, with spectators milling around while indie rock plays somewhere in the middle distance. It's a good job the menus are so visually appealing as a large part of game time will be spent navigating the virtual RV and its surroundings - after our first three hours spent with DiRT 2, it was a little disconcerting to be told that we'd only spend some fifty minutes of that behind the wheel.

dirt-2-20090903064743725.jpg
Water's now a track surface in its own right, slowing cars and splashing realistically across the in-car windscreen.

Thankfully, the driving is well worth sticking around for. Underneath the game's handsome excess is a handling model that's both refined and rewarding, helping dispel fears that after the loose feel of DiRT and GRID that Codemasters had lost its touch with driving games. Worried it's too casual? Take an over-powered trailblazer car on a point to point tour of Morocco or Utah and you'll soon change your tune. This is driving without a safety net – the co-driver that accompanies the player on normal rally events is nowhere to be seen, perhaps sensibly scarpering when he looked at what exactly they put under the bonnet of these brutal machines. It's thus driving on instinct alone, with the open vistas encouraging a heavy throttle foot while that cliff edge that's fast approaching on the horizon suggests you exercise a little more care.

Pleasingly, the tweaked handling model manifests itself across the game's spectrum of vehicles, be it a tailored rally machine or a hulking raid car. There's a sense of weight and connection throughout each of the cars, and the transition between road surfaces is fed back brilliantly to the player. It makes for immensely enjoyable driving; kick the back end of a car out around a hairpin and you can feel the loose gravel slipping under the tires as you control the slide with the throttle – speed from gravel to tarmac and the change in grip levels is instantly perceptible. Get it wrong and find yourself heading face-first for the scenery and the rewind button, a feature that debuted in last year's GRID and one that feels like it's found it perfect home in the rough and tumble world of off-road racing.

dirt-2-20090903064742975.jpg
Rallycross races are frenetic and frequently violent.

All this is wrapped up in a game overflowing with visual riches. The atmosphere introduced by the menu system extends to the moments behind the wheel, and the events themselves are injected with a bombastic sense of occasion. It's most explicit in the flagship events in London and LA, with crowds surrounding the action and bunting fluttering in the wind while jumps are met with cheers and a booming flash of fireworks. More remote environments are equally impressive, be that the trek through China that takes place under a thin veil of mountain mist or the arid expanse of Morocco and the small towns the track threads through.

But, once more, it's the damage model that shines the strongest, with Codemasters' yet again proving the masters of crumple zones and battered metal work. The car models themselves are handsome enough in their pristine state, but there's no denying they're a smite more remarkable when put through the blender of some over-the-edge driving. Doors hang from their hinges, bodywork decays and dirties convincingly after punishment and cars roll and tumble with authentic force. It all feeds into the intimacy of some of the racing, making for some spectacular moments; be that seeing a car ahead mistime a jump and propel itself into a series of barrel rolls, only to miss your own car by a matter of inches or dragging a battle-scarred car that's close to submission across the finishing line.

The hustle of close quarter off-road racing translates well to the online multiplayer, and here DiRT 2 lives up to its name, at least in regards to the low-down tactics it inspires. Without the rewind feature to hand, it's all too easy to be tagged into a spin and find yourself with an unassailable gap to make up. It's excessively unruly fun, but can prove equally infuriating. Thankfully traditional modes such as rally and trailblazer enable more serious-minded online competition, and throughout each of the options the code proves reliably solid with little in the way of lag or frame-rate drops.

dirt-2-20090903064741663.jpg
Point to point events now have staggered starts, so it's possible you'll encounter another car on your run.

While the multiplayer is sturdy if unspectacular, the single-player structure proves more gripping than the majority of other games in the genre. GRID proved that racing games could be compelling without resorting to the grinding that wears down the likes of Gran Turismo and Forza, and DiRT 2 pulls off the same trick in a slightly different way. XP points are doled out not only for success but also for mini achievement-esque tasks – be that drifting for a set distance, grabbing a certain amount of air or destroying an appointed amount of the scenery. It's a device that feeds well into the extreme sports nature of the title, and levelling up unlocks more of the game – with the climax coming in a trio of X Games dotted around the globe.
Closing Comments
DiRT 2’s got character – admittedly it’s one that’s over loud and a little obnoxious – but, as an antidote to the buttoned down brigade of driving games that are on the horizon, it’s more than welcome. Even those who might sniff at the game’s focus on the extreme end of off-road motorsport will find it hard to scoff at its rewarding handling model, its sense of atmosphere and its sumptuous visuals, all of which help make it a highlight of the Colin McRae series.

IGN UK Ratings for Dirt 2 (X360)
RatingDescriptionhttp://uk.ign.com/demoroom.htmlout of 10

9.0Presentation
It's innovative front-end is a banner feature, and rightfully so - but there's an inordinate amount of time spent looking at it.

9.5Graphics
DiRT 2's strongest suit, dare we say they're the measure of GT5 and Forza 3, and they bristle with life.

9.0Sound
Sounds of gravel and engine notes are as good as you'd expect. The guitar led soundtrack might not be to everyone's taste, but it certainly fits.

9.0Gameplay
Any handling deficiencies from last time out have been fixed, and fixed with style.

8.5Lasting Appeal
Online is fun if limited, so good job the single-player offers a lasting proposition.

9.0 OutstandingOVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Motorbikes
I'm undecided after playing the demo, trucks were good but the trailblazer wasnt so imo. Not sure whether to get this or not.

E87 118d M Sport
reali hoped this would be like groundbreakingly awesome!!!!!! LOVED the first one. like properly loved it, was the best rally game i played. ill download the demo when i get the slim tomoro

BMW F31
online in the demo, playing with b**chy americans ftw tbqfh! lol

online felt better than offline.

if no one gets me this for my birthday on the 14th, i know where i'll be heading off to to get a copy!

Lee

BMW M2C
To be honest, the guys did a pretty amazing job in a very short space of time. They deserve it to do well. 18 months dev time for a game with that level of polish is massively impressive.

Play it at Trax to win a passenger ride with Ken Block.:D

Renault Clio 182FF + Cup
Looks pretty good in the demo. Pre-order made. If it's even half as good as DIRT was then it's money well spent in my book.

Dirt 2 is a great game worthy of the 9/10 and 8/10 it got from IGN and EuroGamer respectivly. What pisses me off about Metacritic is all the crappy sites it includes that try and give high or low reviews to be controversial and get foot traffic and hence advertising revenue.

Acc. to Metacritic some s**tty site has already given Dirt 2 10/10 and even Codies wouldn't say its that good i'm sure ;) I mean if it is a 10/10 GT5 and FM3 may as well not be released!

57 Clio Campus Sport
Got mine. It's awesome. You start with a scooby (old one) which feels way better than the eclipse from the demo

57 Clio Campus Sport
Think so.

The eclipse is actually awesome in rally cross, it has insanely good handling. I think they just picked the wrong kind of race for it in the demo

L.A. Is my favourite area atm, nice mix of Tarmac and gravel

Last edited:
  57 Clio Campus Sport
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHNpfFDYzFQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07IDGNJmdtw[/YOUTUBE]