ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disappointed with brakes?

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Was on track yesterday and after about 10 minutes it felt like the brakes were dead! Didn't inspire confidence at all! Current setup is:

Carbon Lorraine RC5
Brembo HC
Braided lines
Castrol superdot 4 response

Thinking I may have boiled the fluid as I let the brakes cool inbetween sessions and they were still no better.

I've got ducts to fit for cooling, is there a better brake fluid I could try?

Also, I ran my 888's at 26psi all round and after about 10 mins they felt like they were losing traction round some of the quicker bends. I thought the car had more to give but the tyres were giving in if that makes sense! The tyres have been sitting in my garage for several months lol, could that of caused a drop in performance?

Cheers!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Been using Castrol superdot 4 for over 2 1/2 yrs now on track without any fade issues. How old is the fluid? Did you have a 'soft and spongey' pedal or were they just not slowing you down as you'd expect?

Various
Was on track yesterday and after about 10 minutes it felt like the brakes were dead! Didn't inspire confidence at all! Current setup is:

Carbon Lorraine RC5
Brembo HC
Braided lines

Thinking I may have boiled the fluid as I let the brakes cool inbetween sessions and they were still no better.

Also, I ran my 888's at 26psi all round and after about 10 mins they felt like they were losing traction round some of the quicker bends. I thought the car had more to give but the tyres were giving in if that makes sense! The tyres have been sitting in my garage for several months lol, could that of caused a drop in performance?

Cheers!

Had the CL on our clio turbo and they suffer after 2 laps. Put the ds2500 pads on and they worked a treat. Dont last long but they work.

I was the opposite on Wednesday, ds2500 just wernt strong enough, needed my carbon Lorraine back in really for extra bite.

I'm running 5.1 fluid as well and it was spot on all day

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Keith, changed the fluid about a year ago, not really done any track time since then. The bite point got lower and lower over about 2 laps and I was having to really stamp on them to get any sort of braking power.

The CL's have been immense for 'spirited' driving which was why I was a bit suprised at the poor track performance.

Will give em a bleed and see how it goes!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ben, you've got 4 pots though havnt you? I know others have had no issues at all with the CL's which is why I thought it could be the fluid.

Lionel Richie
I've used all sorts over the years

mintex 1144 and 1155's - fine on the road, crap on track
CL - i hate
Ferodo - great
PF - perfect
Pagid - spot on

Lionel Richie
oh right same as me then, small regtanular pads with a hole in each top corner?

i've trailing a new compound at the moment

172 Race Car
If you want grabby then go for PF97's. They are evil!

Ony did 2 sessions at combe and was slowly getting used to them as they bedded in.

I was the opposite on Wednesday, ds2500 just wernt strong enough, needed my carbon Lorraine back in really for extra bite.

I'm running 5.1 fluid as well and it was spot on all day

Odd - Ive been using cheapy HC disks, DS2500 pads, cheapy fluid and braided lines....bled before every trackday, brakes were just as good if not better even after the ~12th trackday - still 1/3 of the pad left too... Never had any issues out on track, even after 30 min stints, just keep going and going.

Surely an additional 100kg of weight cant make that much difference

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
nice review f0xy, i'm hoping for the same results with that same setup.

340i
if you want "grabby" get PF97's... the braking power from them in phenomenal!

Awesome braking power, hard wearing pads, you will go through 3 sets of discs to 1 set of pads though :D

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
I'm another PF 97 fan from past years. If you want bite and generally insane stopping power then they are the ones for you.

As the others have said, say goodbye to your discs though lol:

sparks%21.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
...changed the fluid about a year ago...The bite point got lower and lower over about 2 laps and I was having to really stamp on them to get any sort of braking power.

So it wasn't the pads that were letting you down, you were failing to get any pressure onto them from the spongy fluid.

...bled before every trackday...

Do this then you can really determine how pads feel/behave, if your fluid's sh*te it doesn't really matter what pad you run as you can never press them against the disc hard enough.

Lionel Richie
worse, you have to clean your paintwork with wonderwheels which is no good for the shirtlifters on here

real man's pads!

Nik - sparks = not hot enough!

I've never had a problem with Mintex 1144's on the road. Had some fade on track. Never had a problem with 1155s in any situation.
Maybe i'm easier on the brakes than some of you animals!
DS2500 seem to be pretty good for the money, but to be honest, I can't feel any benefit over the 1155s.

Lionel Richie
they don't last long the mintex Pete, i'm not a heavy braker at all and i destroyed 1144's (brake fade twice @ 130mph!) and my other car got 70% through 1166's from 1 track day!

i'm not using nor recomending any of the 11** range of pads ever again!

Ferodo are miles better

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI

Carbon Lorraine RC5
Brembo HC
Braided lines

Cheers!

Realistically to cook the brake pads you would need to get them to around 1000ºC, if you were near this the brake fluid would have boiled long before.. Dot 4 absorbs water over time making it less effective - with a year of use this could be the case. With the superdot 4 response this takes it from a dry boiling point of 280ºC down to 186ºC. Boiling the brake fluid will create air bubbles which you would need to bleed out as the air would compress under braking before allowing the brake system to take effect

As you mention feeling the tyres were loosing grip in the corners you could potentially have got the tyres too hot which could give visible signs of beading. If the tyres did go off you would lose braking efficiency

PH1 172 Sport
What do others think of yellowstuff pads. I used them on the track and they were pretty good. They are eating there way through a second set of disks though.

I know they may not be up to the standard of the more expensive pads but they seem fine for fast road and the occasional trackday.