ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disappointment at Brembo discs

Clio 172 cup
I've had a set of Brembo oem equivalent discs on my car for around a year now and I've had enough of going out for a drive and having to wear off the surface corrosion if the car has been left for anymore than a couple of bloody minutes it sounds terrible and it causes uneven braking on occasion the rear pads have seized onto the discs, this is something I definitely want sorted . So I'm looking to upgrade the discs, everyone rates the Brembo hc discs but has had any problems with corrosion if the car isn't used constantly?

Clio 172 cup
I appreciate that anything with iron in it will rust. What shouldn't happen is a noticeable
deterioration after no more than 48hrs.

Listerine & Poledo
I appreciate that anything with iron in it will rust. What shouldn't happen is a noticeable
deterioration after no more than 48hrs.
What are you on about, my discs are going brown before I've finished cleaning the car! It happens. You won't stop it. Nobody's looking either so don't worry.

Only thing I worry about is my boyfriend leaving me for a younger model.

Clio 172 cup
Is the car a 197?

The brakes benefit from an annual strip down and greasing. The surface rust on the discs has nothing to do with the binding.
Hi knuckles it's a 172 cup. The front calipers were stripped down and the pin sliders were repacked with Grease a year ago
The rears were also rebuilt however I reckon I could have a look at getting some lube on the parts surrounding the handbrake mechanism

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Hi knuckles it's a 172 cup. The front calipers were stripped down and the pin sliders were repacked with Grease a year ago
The rears were also rebuilt however I reckon I could have a look at getting some lube on the parts surrounding the handbrake mechanism

Do you leave the handbrake on when you park it for a long time?

I don't mean to sound condescending but surface corrosion is unavoidable, the uneven braking/bonding will be caused by something else

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
My rear calipers sometimes stick when pulling away, as far as I know all Clio's do it, at least every one i've been in has, also I have Brembo HC discs on the front and they have surfce corrosion on them almost every morning, all discs do it.

Clio 172 cup
Yeah I do leave the handbrake on. The rears certainly look worse than the fronts, they are very tarnished and Matt in colour. I do expect that to a degree as the bias is so set for the front. I was looking at the fronts tonight and there is no visible corrosion on the fronts on either face so I'm going to assume that the issue lays with the rears only. But short of driving round with the handbrake applied for a few hundred yards (which I have done) is there any other way to remedy it.

Perhaps I was a little hasty to poo poo brembo in my initial post, it was meant a little tongue in cheek.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
If it rains heavy over night the rears on mine stick on when I get in it in the morning. Just drive it and it forces the brakes to free up, first tiem I did this I thought I hit something.

Clio 172 cup
If it rains heavy over night the rears on mine stick on when I get in it in the morning. Just drive it and it forces the brakes to free up, first tiem I did this I thought I hit something.
Exactly the same symtoms as I'm having

Suzuki Jimny
I know what you mean with the 172 cup rear brakes. They are hardly used so the surface rust doesn't really clear. I did a track session then touched the rear discs on my cup and they were only lukewarm.

Clio 172
Mine have visible rust on them before I've managed to wash the entire car. It's not a problem that can be sorted, iron just rusts like mad, cars arn't suppose to sit still for too long.

Renault OE rear discs here. Get some bought if the Brembos are corroded badly as I get no issues with mine and it sits for weeks at a time in heavy rain.

Renault Clio 172
when its parked up, leave the handbrake off and in gear if its on level ground, get the handbrake adjusted for more clicks too so when you do use it, it works the mechanism more... doubt you will have any problems with the rear brakes unless its sat for a very long time if you do those things

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Thought I had replied to this the other day lads

The discs (any) will get surface rust on them, the rear brakes on your Cup don't do a lot. If it's the un-swept area of the disc, you can clean them and then paint them silver/grey if you want them to look fresher/cleaner.

If it's the swept/contact area of the rear discs, you want to look if your calipers are working as they should and also check the bias valve isn't seized @Andy03

Clio 172 cup
Thanks for all the reply ladies and gents.
The bias valves was replaced last year and the mot brake test did show rear braking effort.

What I think I'll probably do is try a set of renault rear discs in due course.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
My last set of rears were Renault OE and they rusted quite considerably. The current set are standard brembo and the rust is certainly no worse. If you want to scrub the rear brakes and don't brake hard enough to do it, just put the handbrake on lightly for 100 metres or so to clean the discs.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The bias valves was replaced last year and the mot brake test did show rear braking effort.

I presume this was done at MOT because it appeared very little braking effort was present/the bias valve wasn't connected and was just tied off?

A lot of garages see either of those, and think that there's something wrong. It isn't. Renault did that deliberately.

They then connect it all up so that the rear brakes are working like they would on a clio with ABS, but when you need to brake hard, too much braking effort is sent to the back and you end up backwards. So if they did replace it they may have connected it all up, which is what you don't want!

Not relevant to the surface corrosion, but an important point!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
My brother in laws old 172 cup's brakes used to rust up like mad, as mentioned above the rears are hardly used and usually looked like they'd been raised from the titanic.

He actually found the standard Renault ones even worse than the Brembo.

It's just something you'll have to come to terms with.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
try owning my mazda. Every morning the grinding to be heard can be audible down the street. then within 5 mins its back to normal.