ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you ever get comments on your car?

Clio with a body kit
Went and got some petrol earlier and got 2.
That's a good Christmas present its really shiny &
What car is that it's a lovely shape.

2003 Clio 172
Stock iceberg 172 that could easily mistaken for an ordinary 1.4 so nope, absolutely no comments.
People are more questioning my sanity when they see my "new" car and wonder why I bought a damn Renault. :)

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Postwoman came round last week when I was quickly hosing the Rx7 and said 'sweet jesus is that the bat mobile' haha

MK3 GTI golf 16v
Get a few every now and then, don't tend to use it much in the week, misses gets a lot if she takes my car out. always gets good comments aat shows too

In the last 6 months had 1 random person and someone buying my bike try and buy the car from me when it's not for sale lol

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
I get a lot of people from work and mates giving me stick about it.

The top 3 are.

"Why have you bought a french car."
"Why waste your money on a french car."
And my favorite.
"I could buy a car for the amount you have spent on your brakes."

Sometimes I just want to stab them in the throat with a fork. Other days it just flies over my head.

LY 200 EDC LUX
Had an old boy stop today whilst I was cleaning my car (LY 200 EDC) and compliment the color. Had a right old chinwag with him randomly lol!

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
My cup has had loads of attention over the years.
Highlights include:
Being pulled by the police at 3am for doing 70 in a 50 then both officers telling me how much they loved the car. No ticket just a be careful.
2 guys hanging out of a car giving the thumbs up on the m25 doung 70.
When i brought the skoda for the misses 3 of the sales men where out there checking out the cup. All loved it.
My lass cant work out how my shitty clio gets so many comments. She wont even go in it.

Haha the last comment

I've been pulled before and the officer said the same. He said we both know the car can go quick but doesn't mean you have to do it - I thought fair comment

182 FF
Only once or twice got the "that's nice" then yesterday when I was on the drive an older chap walking passed with his dog stopped for a chat. Often see him driving round in a new Fiesta ST. Before leaving he said "I know they're good cars, but I wouldn't have one just because they're French" to which I said "good job you didn't buy one then and it doesn't bother me"...

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Only once or twice got the "that's nice" then yesterday when I was on the drive an older chap walking passed with his dog stopped for a chat. Often see him driving round in a new Fiesta ST. Before leaving he said "I know they're good cars, but I wouldn't have one just because they're French" to which I said "good job you didn't buy one then and it doesn't bother me"...
When you see him next tell him half the stuff on his ford is French. Watch his face lol

182 Cup/V70 D5
"how many whippet power do those stripes add?" - my dickhead mates who keep winding me up about having a teenagers car :)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Still none on the Cup. Although the type of people that would tell me to grow spend a lot of time trying to goad me in to getting my foot down. I've become well acquainted with my local areas lay-bys so I can pull in and they can f**k off. Really only go out at night to give it a run now. Usual one is a turbo diesel or 1.6 family wagon at the lights. Light's change they make some noise or there's clouds of smoke and They move off at what they think is lightening pace and I just sit and watch them. Bigger Turbo diesel don't bother it's the 1.6 tdi's that are the worst. If a Clio is such a rubbish awful car why is it fair game to so many tools that see it as some kinda of stripe to gain. The Clio ain't a quick car but you can follow a normal flat out family car on part throttle if you wanted to.

Last wet track day. Is that standard? To the point where I feel like getting a sticker for the back window. Did help that many people turned up on dry biased rubber in the hope it would dry up and had my usual conti's on.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
You can't with the Cup. Simplest way I guess is "everything you need and nothing you don't!" Although not strickly true it sums it up fairly well. I bought a proper brochure a while back so I may keep copies in the car so I can just say read it in your own time so I can bugger off and have my bacon roll and coffee at a track day. Fortunately haven't got into any hero discussions about ABS or which sport is fastest.

Phase 2 Iceberg 172
Was drying the clio after a wash and as the delivery man was walking towards his van he said it was a "very nice car"... I wasnt sure if he was serious because it looks like a crappy 1.2 clio to most people. However, it was all clean and shiny.

RB Clio 182
Heard some chavs earlier in tesco car park say " thats that clio with the electronic dump valve"

They must be on about the turbo chatter.

172 Cup
Whilst discussing reliability of cars with colleague he asked,"You must have had some problems with your car, it being a French car & all..." I happily told him that I'd had only one minor glitch in my 2 year ownership to date (throttle potentiometer threw up fault code - I opened up the box, cleaned contacts and problem was solved).

Titanium 182
So I've always been into my cars and bikes and I usually always spot the 'performance cars' while driving around. Same with most of my friends who are also into cars. When I am in my friends Golf GTi it usually gets other petrol heads turning to look at it, same for another friends Fiesta ST and his wife's VXR etc etc. One thing I've noticed about the 1*2's is they just don't seem to get noticed when on the roads. I may be wrong but the only time I have ever seen anyone appreciating the car while driving is other Clio drivers. To me a RenaultSport 1*2 looks very different to a standard Clio and stands out, but maybe that's just because I am used to them? I always thought that if you were into your hot hatches that you would know about the RS 1*2.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
So I've always been into my cars and bikes and I usually always spot the 'performance cars' while driving around. Same with most of my friends who are also into cars. When I am in my friends Golf GTi it usually gets other petrol heads turning to look at it, same for another friends Fiesta ST and his wife's VXR etc etc. One thing I've noticed about the 1*2's is they just don't seem to get noticed when on the roads. I may be wrong but the only time I have ever seen anyone appreciating the car while driving is other Clio drivers. To me a RenaultSport 1*2 looks very different to a standard Clio and stands out, but maybe that's just because I am used to them? I always thought that if you were into your hot hatches that you would know about the RS 1*2.

They do but in silver/black the don't really stand out imo

Unless ph1

Titanium 182
They do but in silver/black the don't really stand out imo

Unless ph1
Yea that's a good point but I feel as though I would always spot a silver hot hatch, whatever the model, but then again I don't have a life... 😞

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Yea that's a good point but I feel as though I would always spot a silver hot hatch, whatever the model, but then again I don't have a life... 😞

I know what you mean, I would get an odd glance in my bg 182 when I had it, but in the Rb being such an in your face colour, it gets more comments, all being good aswell!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Whilst discussing reliability of cars with colleague he asked,"You must have had some problems with your car, it being a French car & all..." I happily told him that I'd had only one minor glitch in my 2 year ownership to date (throttle potentiometer threw up fault code - I opened up the box, cleaned contacts and problem was solved).

What were your symptoms for this?

Understated is not necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather drive around unnoticed than be gawked at everywhere I go and asked stupid questions by people I don't even know.

In the 6 years I owned my 172 I can only recall two incidents where someone commented on it.

One being, "Is that the V6?" from a boy from Curry's when I was getting a new TV.

"Aye mate. Now hurry up and put my TV in the boot, I'll put the back seats down."

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Only question I ever seem to get is "Does this have a turbo" ( from people I know who generally know about cars ) - NO FFS

AB 182
'That a diesel, didn't know they made them'

'Road tax is £20?! Tight b*stard'

'When you buying a real car? French sh*t''

Usual nonsense!!

Mini GP2
"08 plate, oh it's getting on a bit now, you want to swap that soon" ..... Says the empty head at work who drives an 11 plate Corsa 1.3d with 110k miles on it. My 197 is on 53k.

"£260 a year for road tax, Jesus Christ what a waste of money" ........ Oh just f*** off

"Your exhaust pops when changing gear as you pull away, your exhaust sounds broken" ..... No mate it's decatted.

Never really had any positive comments on the car although being silver it does blend in a bit; although i do get the odd gormless gawp from the Corsa C UK brigade.

Lost count if I'm honest, had everything...

Bloke following me into the petrol station then asking me to pull over as wants my advice on looking to buy one and 'do it up'
That white ones are really rare and my mate had a baby blue one with 250bhp
Neighbours frequently saying I can wash there's when I finish, or have I broken it when working on it
Work people asking when I'm changing it for a BMW or Focus or that sort of thing and thinking it's a 1.0

I guess the most repeated comment is "It looks loads better now doesn't it" from people who know/knew the car

The price of tax, you should get so and so car because tax is zero, urm nope.

Is there a hole in the exhaust? Urm yep 2 at the end.

I think your suspension is broke there's none. Urm nope.

You'll wash the paint off soon, urm nope.

LY FF 200 CUP
Just had one putting petrol in, man comes over and says "I've always liked these cars bet it's a pocket rocket"......then said "not sure about that colour thou"!!!! In his silver car!!!!!

Mk3 1.4 clio
That f***s me right off. Same old guy that does it to me.

Change the record you geriatric f**k!

My neighbour always says I'm going to wash the paint off one day, and the old chap over the road loves the old "you can wash mine next". It wasn't funny the first time.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I had to explain to my mother why I didn't care about the fact that the fuel at the top of the road (95) is at £1.05 a litre, because I go to the tesco a few miles away to get 99 RON instead.

Then I had to explain what RON meant and why my car's mapped for 98/9 RON.

She still thought that I was wasting money.

Uphill struggle!

2014 Clio 200t edc
I remember when I fitted cup springs to my standard 182, one of my managers used to go on and on about how much it had lowered my car by. In a p1ss taking way of course. That has stuck ever since and he still goes on about it now.