ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you ever wonder.....

BMW M3
... if the average Joe public thinks your 182 is just a chaved up clio and doesn't know about the renault sports?

Was just pulling out of Tesco, sat at traffic lights and this middle aged couple pull up behind me and start pi$$ing themselves laughing at the back of my car lol.... particually looking down at the exhausts.

And its not the 1st time ive noticed it. Was just wondering if they think the wheels, spoilers and exhaust etc... are all aftermarket chav stuff (although its not chavy at all).

Or if indeed the V6 suffers from this which i would imaging it would more so.

Ignorance !! lol

I saw a V6 the other week and my mate with me said 'oh my god look at the state of that clio' - i tried to explain what it was but he doesn't know much about cars..

cup 182 mit stripes
Could you have mistaken their facial expressions for one of alarm rather than amusement?
The old guy's cholestomy bag might have come undone,filling the motor with s**t fumes or worse.

Take it from me. It's no fun getting old.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Could you have mistaken their facial expressions for one of alarm rather than amusement?
The old guy's cholestomy bag might have come undone,filling the motor with s**t fumes or worse.

Take it from me. It's no fun getting old.

pmsl!

tbh, the 182 is a bit chavvy if you ask me, twin exhausts, go faster stripes.. no wonder joe public thinks its all aftermarket

Scirocco GT 210
Yes, no one knows what a 172 is so I just tell people I drive a clio, can't be bothered to explain the trim level etc. And yes, they often think it's chav'd up :dapprove: I tell them that's how it looked when it came out the factory.

They're also shocked, (not surprised but shocked) when they find out it's not a 1.2/1.4 lol.

BMW M3
No.. def looking at my car, as they lent forward to clear the view of their bonnet to look at my exhausts.

Im not particually bothered... but i dont want to be viewed as a chav lol

I cant off the top of my head think of any other car like it... maybe an R32 etc.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I think the 172 is a subtle but smart looking car.

It's all the colour coding and attention to detail.

The 182 does look more boy racery due to the twin exhaust and partly why I opted for a late 172 than an early 182.

And partly why I went for silver in a 172 than racing blue in a 182. I'm 30 and like to look a little bit grown up but not too grown up. The 172 fits this pretty well. Better than most hatch backs.

Impreza P1
They are Old and nearly dead and have more in common with palnts..... they are both going in the ground.

Cars are not everyones cup of tea, you may laugh at someone Grandad for collecting stamps lol.

I personnally think the Clio doesn't look chavvy but maybe a bit on the Girly side but then again I like wearing girls clothes so wo am I to judge.
;)

BMW M3
Yes, no one knows what a 172 is so I just tell people I drive a clio, can't be bothered to explain the trim level etc. And yes, they often think it's chav'd up :dapprove: I tell them that's how it looked when it came out the factory.

They're also shocked, (not surprised but shocked) when they find out it's not a 1.2/1.4 lol.

lol.. yeah, know what you mean.

I just say ive got a clio cause if I start saying " but its a sport version with a 2.0 litre engine and produces around 180 hp std... but ive tuned it to over.... bla bla bla" Then i just look like a knob lol

Unless the person im speaking to knows cars... but then they wouldnt asks.

try not let it bother you, shouldnt really.. but it was actually the stripes that swayed it for me when i was looking for a 1*2.. not sure why

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
The people drivng other performance cars are usually the ones who give knowing nods or looks...

The types that make me laugh are the execs in their salloons who expect everything to move out the way when on any piece of dual or motorway.
I use my local bypass everyday to get to work and everytime i pull into the outside lane i have mirrors full of Merc C- Class, Bee Em 3 series or whatever goddamn repmobile they decide to waft about in.
So i ease back at 60mph and then plant the thing.....the look of confusion as to why this little Clio hasn't shifted over but has in fact left them trailing, never fails to make me laugh.

Impreza P1
:lolup: Cracks me up everytime, I love doing that except for when they keep up damn thats annoying.

Except I paid 6k to go just as fast as the executive saloon they paid 40k for :rasp:

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I had a great one recently when i had a rather nice looking lady pull up beside me at set of traffic lights in another Clio...a dynamique i think, and ask "what on earth is that and where can i get one?!"
She'd seen me pull away rather sharpishly from a junction about a mile back and she couldn't believe it was a Clio moving that quick.

Ahh the unknowing innocents....

133/225/CLS AMG
I know for a fact that the average stupid driver won't have a clue about any RenaultSport models.

The 172 was slightly more subtle where the 182 was made to look that extra bit sportier, which some people think would be non factory.

I was at a petrol station in the missus 182 and these two blokes walked past, pointed and started laughing. (hers is raving blue with stripes) The thing that got me most is that they both go in some G reg BMW 318!!! I though, 'you're gonna get a shock when you try and have a go with one of these'

I get the same with my Megane 225. I told a girl at work I was getting a Megane and she goes 'We had one of those as a courtesy car, it was so slow'. I didn't bother explaining the fact that my one would anihikate her Celica!!!!

The proof is in the driving I guess, let people get on with it. lol

I had a great one recently when i had a rather nice looking lady pull up beside me at set of traffic lights in another Clio...a dynamique i think, and ask "what on earth is that and where can i get one?!"
She'd seen me pull away rather sharpishly from a junction about a mile back and she couldn't believe it was a Clio moving that quick.

Ahh the unknowing innocents....
I hope you got her number ;) lol

cup 182 mit stripes
Justin 182!

You know my situation.
8 months ago wanted to get the cup modded,but due to unreliable factors, did'nt happen.

A pal is going to Brazil Feb 07. He's giving me first dabs on his Evo 8 import, the one with the nice interior and big power you did'nt get with the s**t official 260 one they sold here. It's the canary yellow with privacy glass, To be honest I can hardly see out of it in daylight.
BUT IF I seen any geriatrics dissing me in my rear view, they will get the finger.

The carousel goes round and round.

Worse in a valver,

"nice Williams replica mate"
"its not a replica its a 1.8 16v"
"Yeah right they didnt make a 1.8"

F**k off then! see you at the traffic lights :D

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
lol at Dash. Erm what you doing mate? ;)

People here don't even know what a basic clio is so i don't even have to go down that road..i just say its french and 'nippy' .

Clio 1.8 16v
I have to agree with Bailey, the looks I get in my valver can be somewhat strange.....

Had some bint in a VTR, giggling at me the other day.....Had to tell myself, she probably thought I'd stuck the bonnet bulge on it.

Damn shame she was going the other way, or I'd have happily wiped the smile off her face.

Oh and the other car I do get funny looks in is my renault 5GT turbo, there doesn't seem to be many people who expect to see a bird driving it.

80MPG BEEZA
i often get - by your cars smart what is it? - its a reno clio - ohh right is it a 1.2? - no its a 2.0 - what? in that? it must fly! -

and the endless amount of newbie boy racers that dont know captain jack crap about power weight ratio's and get confused and p*ssed off when i leave them for dead and i see them again another time and they go "ohh i didnt expect it to be that quick" hmm

Mini Cooper S sport
Pff I don't care if people think it's chavved up - I'm secure in the knowledge that it isn't, and has the engine to go with the sporty looks. I love my car :)

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I don't give a rats arse to be honest what people think of my car. I bought the Clio because it was pretty much the fastest, best handling car under 3 years old I could get for the price.

I know what it does, my mates know what it does, those in the know what it does. If you don't know what it does, look at the 1.2 badges then drive to a dealers and ask why your 530d just got shown up by a Clio.

BMW M3
Well, i suppose that it does work in our favour when these fancy cars (and a 350z last week lol) get nailed by our little 1.2s with chavy sports kits and exhuasts etc... thats always fun.

But it still surprises me that they laugh, even though mine is relitively sutble, being titanium - silver alloys etc..

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Thats where mine gets most attention from the "unfamiliars" as it were....the colour...being THE best blue Renault have done (oh there are NO contenders, you Racing blue crew;)) it tends to get lots of "lovely colour" comments.

2 wheel power
I had an arguement with my old boss and his brother on the way back from work because I commented on a silver 172 I saw, they laughed and said 'its only a clio' Then got done at the lights. Then told me I should want something like a BMW 6 series. A nice car but no chance I'll own one while there still good, a 172 is of a realistic chance for me

clio 182 black /gold
Not were i work. I have had a lad keep asking me if i want to sell it. I think he is dreaming. Many people say how nice my car is.

people refer to my 182 as the rs turbo of its day and i used to love rs turbo s woooooooooooooooooooopssssssssssssssssssss

Fiesta ST Stage 3
You think you got it bad try driving around in a car with an orange grill and red leather interior LOL :) :) :) :) :)

Clio 172 mk2
I've never had any chav comments driving my 172....then again it is silver which is pretty conservative and the exhaust is hidden.

TBH I don't really care what people think...my car is midly modded (panel, sports cat & stealth exhaust) but is still a real buzz to drive.

RenaultSport clio 172
At the end of the day i dont give a damn on what mine looks like, i just want to drive A-B with the biggest grin on my face!

I have had mixed opinions from other people though, a 65 year old woman at work loves it and really wanted to get one until she realised it was a 2.0.