ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you think this is a good deal ?

182 Trophy
Hi There

My mate has just bought a 04 racing blue 182 Cup. He payed £5700 and it has done 30,000 miles. HPI Clear

Bad points -

dent on the door and scratched so needs a respray
front bumper needs a respray
Rear quarter has some scratchs on it which would need some work
No service history book but paper work from the first service ....
Recentley had a new gearbox under warranty
Also had the cambelt done .....

Cheers

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50
Not sure as 30k with no service book would suggest it had been clocked to me. I would have said at the moment the way the market is, nearer £5000 would have been more like it, especially with the amount of bodywork required. It doesn't sound as if it has been particularly well looked after.

C63 AMG
A gear box is not a wear and tear item so it would be done under warranty (indeed, a few 197s have had their gear boxes replaced). £5,000 for that car would be a good price so what he paid wasn't far off. The Cambelt service (72k) is a £800, which has been put off for a little longer.

Not a bad deal then, but there is usually always a cheaper better deal to be had elsewhere. But if you always held out for it you'd never buy anything.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Wouldn't touch a car in that condition, with no paper work at that price.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Nah thats walking into a minefield with a blindfold on that is.

On the other hand it may have been "made on a Monday car" And dependant on how you look at the fact that its got a new gear box or did the previous owner absolutley shag the arse off the last one?

Id rather pay a premium for an honest non-neglected model, i could understand an older car with partial history but 30k? Not for me tbh!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I wouldn't ever buy a car without a service book. I'd argue it's impossible to 'lose' a service book accidently. Unless the previous owner was a dribbling simpleton and is just actually THAT stupid - In which case they're FAR too stupid to be able to drive properly or own a car.

The fact is has some paperwork but only for one service, suggests to me it's only had one service as well. Gearbox would be done under warranty but that ran out over a year ago so it wasn't that recent.

Why was the cambelt done early, and what's the proof of that or is it just a dealers 'word' ? Why does the front bumper need a respray? If stonechips - then I'd question the 30k mileage, as it can't be bad enough to need a respray from stone chips after that few miles...

In summary, it'll be hard to sell on privately with no proper history, or to a reputable garage as they won't want a car with no history, so they'll just punt it to auction and get pennies for it - so they'll part ex price accordingly. And if they don't care, then I'd question the cars they have on sale.

Perhaps worth having a Renault dealer to run the plate for you, and see what work it's had done under the Renault dealer network? As any car having any work is logged on their system, and any dealer can see the info.

In short, IMO, you shouldn't be jealous of that deal heh :)

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
I don't understand how anyone can lose a service book, it stays in the house, goes to the garage for a day, gets stamped then goes home and gets put away again.:S

Maybe if it was a 20 year old car and they moved house 2 or 3 times maybe, but in a couple of years I doubt it.

Probably a cut and shut, maybe stolen;)

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50
To put it in perspective, I'm selling the wifes 54-plate 182 for £5495. OK, it's done 63k but has full history, receipts, mileage is verifiable, 2 lady owners and has been well cared for. I may be biased but I know where I'd put my money. ;)

Shhh
when cars are p/x'ed the dealer removes any service manuals etc.

sounds to me like its gone through the auction (to lose the manuals etc), and someone is selling it on.

If you really want too, ask the renault dealer for a print out of all the parts replaced under warranty.

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50
when cars are p/x'ed the dealer removes any service manuals etc.

sounds to me like its gone through the auction (to lose the manuals etc), and someone is selling it on.

If you really want too, ask the renault dealer for a print out of all the parts replaced under warranty.

I would have to disagree with you there. I have bought three cars from BCA (2 x car supermarket p/x's and a BMW Group Open car) and they all had service books with them. In my experience, dealers leave the service books with the cars as they command a higher price than a car with no history.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
To put it in perspective, I'm selling the wifes 54-plate 182 for £5495. OK, it's done 63k but has full history, receipts, mileage is verifiable, 2 lady owners and has been well cared for. I may be biased but I know where I'd put my money. ;)

+1 sir...

182 Cup
My gearbox was replaced under warrenty after 15k miles, it had a very faint ticking noise coming from it that the dealer couldn't work out - so replaced the box.