ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy CUP Suspension

Any ideas what could be causing this:

Driving over gravel driveway, slightly uneven surface, applying quite a bit of right hand lock (not necessarily full-lock) up a bit of a slope, so the load is on the passenger side of the car and the drivers side front wheel is unloaded - get a fairly loud metal-on-metal sqeeking/grating sound from the unloaded drivers side front. I know these things can be deceptive, but it definitely sounds like its coming from the suspension.

Noticed something similar, but only once in a while, on my old 95 RSi and after investigation it turned out the spring was moving/rotating in the base-plate/cup towards the lower end of the shock, so it was nothing to worry about.

Any ideas, or have you experienced something similar and found out exactly what was causing it ?

Cheers.

I heard that the 172s are missing the rubber cup or something where the spring goes into...it would be a reason for that noise but im not entirely sure. Cant remember who told me either..lol

-Rob

Mine went in this week and had new springs and a mod from the Aktis system carried out. Sweet as sugar now, now squeaks or bangs anymore.

And it was a warranty repair, also had a new power steering pump done at the sdame time as it was leaking.

There is a little mod needed to the strut tower. The increased castor on the 172 means that on full lock with the wheel pointing out, the top of the suspension will rub against the strut tower.

The mod is to grind away a small bit.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 14 February 2004

There is a little mod needed to the strut tower. The increased castor on the 172 means that on full lock with the wheel pointing out, the top of the suspension will rub against the strut tower.

The mod is to grind away a small bit.
Is this the mod people are referring to on the Actis system ?

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but can you describe exactly what is rubbing on what - when you refer to the strut tower, is this the cone-type feature under the bonnet that the shock slides up into with the meaty rubber bush at the top ? And what would the Reno guys grind away......this sounds like a bit of a bodge !

The actis one yes.

It is a bodge, but nothing that will affect the car in any way mechanically.

THe strut tower is the big bulge in the engine bay that the shock/strut assemblyu sits insite. The thing with the shock top bolt (large cap looking thing with the nut built in and a rubber edge) on top of it is the strut tower.

And just under that cap is a ridge which rubs against the edge of the strut tower.

The reno guys grind away a tiny bit of metal from the inner edge of the metal strut tower, about 35 deg and 2 mil in. Then they paint it again.

It works and there is no problem with the mod really.

If you take off the top nut youll see exactly what im talking about.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the mod takes about 15min to complete with a die air grinder(renault say remove the shockers but you dont need to if you have the correct tool)and involves grinding a small section of the inner corner of the shocker turret holes on both sides.the large combined nut/washer catches on the turret top hole.if the mod is done correctly it should work.there is now a TI note about it which every dealer should have a copy of.