ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodo Juice Products - First Impressions

106 GTi
First up a big thanks to Matt 7MAT on here from www.i4detailing.co.uk for sorting me some products to trial.

These consisted of:

Dodo Juice Lime Prime

and samples of:

Dodo Juice Purple Haze

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet

The later former of the last two products maybe old news to a few on here as it has been around a while now, I had given it a miss down to its release not long after I had purchased the first of my Swissvax's - That of the Onyx which I was really happy with. Matt kindly sorted my with samples of both the above as they are suited to Black cars. The test bed was my 182, and a few panels where left last ready to test above which I had a chance to do today.

First up the Dodo Juice Lime Prime a Pre-wax cleanser.

Description taken from Matt's site.

Dodo Juice Lime Prime is a pre-wax cleanser formulated to clean, polish and prepare the paint surface ready for a layer of carnauba wax.

It contains a mixture of micro-abrasives, cleaning agents and oils to remove paint oxidisation, ingrained dirt and light swirlmarks.

Its oil contents makes the surface glossy and smooth, helping subsequent wax application.

Key ingredients: Micro-abrasives, cleaning agents, natural oils.

Directions:
Ensure the car has been washed and clayed if necessary. Shake the bottle well before use and then apply a small amount of Lime Prime to each panel with a clean, dry cloth or applicator. Lime Prime will stay wet forworkability, but will dry to a buffable haze after a short while. Buff off with a clean microfiber cloth. Suitable for use with a machine polisher.

PRODUCT TEST

Area chosen to test this - One Black Gold Clio Rear Spolier. Area was divided into 3 and tested against the 2 other main Pre Wax Cleansers I commonly use, being Swisswax Cleaner Fluid and Zymol HD Cleanse. Paint was in good shape so no polishing was done straight onto the panel with each of the Pre Wax Cleaners and a foam hand pad for each, applied and them buffed with a Microfiber towel.

First up the Zymol, the most difficult of the 3 to spread and remove. Next the Swissvax Cleaner Fluid, much easier to spread and remove, and then finally the Lime Prime, which pipped the Swissvax to the ease of use in application and removal. The later two however both spread very easily and buffed of effortlessly unlike the HD Cleanse which actually required some pressure to remove, not ideal for a pre wax product which is being used on good shape paint.

RESULTS

Results wise looks I would be lying if I said any left a real noticeable difference in looks. The Lime Prime and Zymol both left a slightly glossier finish to the Swissvax. To the touch the Cleaner Fluid gave the most slick and squeaky clean finish compared to the more oily sticky feel to the others and actually felt as if it was doing something in application as oppossed to the other two that just felt as they where just wiping onto the paint.

With this I choose to reapply the Cleaner Fluid to the whole panel and then use the Lime Prime over the top.

If I was looking for a product to do some cleaning I would tend to use the the Swisswax CF, but if I wanted a product just to add some gloss before waxing or prepare a panel for wax after machine polishing the Lime Prime will be my chosen product now, producing HD Cleanse style results at a fraction of the cost - £13-50 Vs £24-00 and being so much easier to use. The Swissvax Cleaner Fluid comes in at £20 for comparisons sake.

Wax thoughts to follow.

106 GTi
Next up the waxes.

Dodo Juice Purple Haze Carnauba soft wax

Dodo Juice Purple Haze is a high gloss car wax, created using the finest natural ingredients, including #1 grade carnauba wax from Brazil, montan wax and dark beeswax. It has been specially created for dark coloured paintwork including dark coloured metallics.

As smooth as silk, Purple Haze has a voluptuous texture and gives outstanding results on darker coloured cars thanks to the addition of black montan wax. One of the most sophisticated Dodo Juice waxes, with a fragrance of fresh lavender.

Supplied in a glass jar - 250ml - good for 15-25 layers of wax!

Key ingredients: Carnauba Wax, Montan Wax.

Directions:
Apply to clean paintwork by hand or foam applicator pad. Allow to cure for 5 - 10 minutes, buff off with a clean microfibre cloth. Additional layers can be applied

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Carnauba hard wax

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet is a high gloss car wax, created using the finest natural ingredients including #1 grade carnauba wax from Brazil, montan wax, dark beeswax and jojoba oil. It has been specially created for dark coloured paintwork including dark coloured metallics.

Supplied in a glass jar - 250ml - good for 20-30 layers of wax!

Key ingredients: Carnauba Wax, Montan Wax, Jojoba Oil.

Directions:
Apply to clean paintwork by hand or foam applicator pad. Allow to cure for 5 minutes, buff off with a clean microfibre cloth. Additional layers can be applied after 24 hours.

WAX PRODUCT TEST

Two panels for this one - again on the 182. First up the rear spoiler prepared with the CF and Lime Prime from the first test. As most on here know if I had to choose one wax on what it costs and how it looks Swissvax Onyx is my chosen weapon ! At £39 a pot it is also in the the same ball park price wise as the two Dodo's which retail at £32.50 each. To make things fair I also included Chemical Guys 50/50 was as it was in the same kind on monet bracket at £25 which is always the wax I recommend to people who want something good for Black finishes but don't want to spend money on the Onyx. With this I divided the spoiler into 4. All applied by a yellow foam hand pad and removed/buffed with a plush Microfiber

First up the Onyx - very soft in the pot Spreads very easily straight from the pot and buffs off very easily. Next up the CG 50/50, needs to be warmed up slightly more than the Onyx as it is harder in the tin, warms up quickly though and spreads on and wipes of with ease. Next up the new boys - The Dodo Wax Purple Haze, again a soft wax, spreadability sat in between the two above. Was not as soft as the Onyx out the pot, but became spreadable with even less effort. Again wiped on very easily and buffed off just as easily. Next up the Blue Velvet unlike the Purple Haze and Onyx this is a hard wax. Which is hard Dodo Juice wax makes applying a thin layer easier, a thin layer makes for easier removal. The hard waxes may have a slight edge in durability. I was applying all with a foam hand pad however and had no issues getting thin layers with the soft waxes. The Blue Velvet however proved a pain to get from the pot with either a finger or the foam pad. I am not a fan of hard waxes as it is my Swissvax Mystery being a example of this. No matter how much I warmed the Blue Velvet I could not get a suitable amount to easily spread it on the panel as I could with the other two. Only doing a small section of the spoiler here, doing a whole car for me would have become tiresome and doubt I would have stuck with it TBH. Stuck with it to complete the area anyway - it wiped off with ease though.

Looks wise the Onyx and both Dodos had the edge on the 50/50, all producing a deep dark look, but the first 3 all giving a glossier finish than the Chemical Guys offering. I struggled to spot the difference between the other 3 on the rear spolier, and both Dodos looked identical. With this I dismissed the 50/50 and the Blue Velvet as I found it a pain on and off and concentrated on the Onyx and Purple Haze and test two!

One Black Gold Bonnet no prep just layering the Onyx and Purple Haze onto the existing wax. One on one half one on the other hoping the larger area may allow a difference to be seen.

RESULTS

Again there was hardly any difference looks wise in the two. The Onyx had slightly more gloss than the Purple Haze but this could have been down to the light on that side of the bonnet in the garage. There really was hardly anything in it.

There was one downside that I did dislike to both the Dodo products - both seemed very heavily coloured. The Blue of one and Purple of the other left the yellow foam hand pads looking like I had used some Colour Magic type products of years gone by. Will see how easily the pads clean up. Found it very off putting used back to back with the light creamy coloured 50/50 and yellow Onyx which don't show on the foam pads at all.

Not sure that this would put me off the Purple Haze though, would recommend this over the CG 50/50 worth the extra few quid IMO and to anyone that does not want to spend the little bit more on the Onyx you can't go wrong - If I had to choose just one personally I would still go for the Swissvax Onyx though. The Onyx's possible slight edge in looks and ease of use, and no horrible dark colour wins for me.

Being the wax wh0re I am I will be adding a full sized pot of Purple Haze to my collection as an alternative to 50/50 on cheaper priced details - though it being so heavy in colour does bother me a tad, not sure why it needs to be ?

Will give the Blue Velvet a miss though really was not getting on with it.

Durability wise I will try and find someone with a dark coloured car that gets used to try them on ;)

Cheers again for the Products Matt - expect an order soon of some Purple Haze and some Orange Chrush.

Last edited:
Good stuff Rich I recall you expressing concersn about the coloured nature of these a good 6 months back but glad to see they ain't too bad ;)

Have you tried Rubbish boys yet?

106 GTi
Not me on the colour - The coloured nature was something I only noticed today expect a post on DW about it.

Not had a change to try it yet, again I am a bit put off by how hard it is the pot tbh.

Mito Sportiva 135
Good write up Rich, nice to hear some objective testing and against similarly priced waxes.

Was thinking of getting the Blue Velvet as an improvement over the 476s but I won't bother now!

Might go for some of the Lime Prime though, would you ever use this instead of SRP on a full detail or move of a surface preparation on an already detailed car, before you apply a fresh coat of wax?

106 GTi
Lime Prime is nice, will now be a replacement for CF or HD Cleanse on my own car as that is sealant free these days.

If I was using a sealant SRP would still be my chosen base.

A slow one :-(
Nice write up Rich, I am currently using Light Fantastic on my Cup and much prefer the looks of it over Collinite. Found the 476S dulled the paint work somewhere compared to the Dodo.

I am on the look out for a new LSP though for my parents/bros cars as they are all dark blue/black. I was semi tempted to go for the Dodo hard candy wax but a little put off now as you found the hard wax difficult to work with.

Will def be getting some Lime Prime as I've read good reviews of it and its not too pricey.

Mito Sportiva 135
I am a sealant ho' over the colder/ wetter months (so 10 months of the year then) so maybe not essential. But, for example at the moment, haven't applied any wax to my car or sealant or anything except QD for getting on 10 weeks (bit of a record there, my mum would be proud!) so when I am home over Christmas want to be doing a mid-winter detail, was thinking it could be a good product to try, as SRPing will obviously remove all the layers I have built up, which I don't necessarilly want to do - but at the same time there are some water marks on a couple of places due to rain drying etc

Rich, out of curiosity though you have got to post a picture of what your garage looks like, you conjur images of Aladdin's Cave, with trinkets and bottles scattered like treasure! ;)

durability is quite good on these waxes to... hard wax will last a little longer... there is a pair of new waxes out soon, they come as a pair a hard wax is the base and a soft wax topping for that BLING;)

106 GTi
I am a sealant ho' over the colder/ wetter months (so 10 months of the year then) so maybe not essential. But, for example at the moment, haven't applied any wax to my car or sealant or anything except QD for getting on 10 weeks (bit of a record there, my mum would be proud!) so when I am home over Christmas want to be doing a mid-winter detail, was thinking it could be a good product to try, as SRPing will obviously remove all the layers I have built up, which I don't necessarilly want to do - but at the same time there are some water marks on a couple of places due to rain drying etc

Rich, out of curiosity though you have got to post a picture of what your garage looks like, you conjur images of Aladdin's Cave, with trinkets and bottles scattered like treasure! ;)

If you use a Cleanse that will strip the layers too though.

No garage pics as it is not very exciting, car only just fits in. All the products live in a cupboard in the house.

The problem with the small sample pots of hard wax has been raised before. Dodo put this down to the different cooling rate for the wax when put in the smaller pot which has the effect of changing the texture of the product slightly.

Great review Rich, any pics?

Last edited:
  106 GTi
No Pics I am afraid as I did not get the car out of the garage as it was damp and crappy!

I will grab some next weekend if I get a chance and revist the Blue Velvet after a small blast in the microwave!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
purple haze is good stuff tempted by this new high end wax though

106 GTi
I got that impression as well. The labels on the Double Wax as it stands looks like something from the Tesco's Value Range ! I am prepared to ignore the looks of them even though due to my line of work I find bad design hard to stomach !

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I got that impression as well. The labels on the Double Wax as it stands looks like something from the Tesco's Value Range ! I am prepared to ignore the looks of them even though due to my line of work I find bad design hard to stomach !

How does it smell...Like Lavender?? - It's important for me!

106 GTi
Which one ? - the two are tried had a slight smell - but where very subtle, did not have a smell in the Swissvax sense of making the whole garage smell.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

How does it smell...Like Lavender?? - It's important for me!

purple haze is very lavender like but not excessive like jimmy hendrix purple haze;);)

Mito Sportiva 135
^ Pretty much I think, yes (although not used it myself so only gooing by reviews and what the manufacturer says!)

Basically you apply it prior to waxing, not sure if it works well for sealants.

Last edited:
is Lime prime the same type of stuff as EGP?

AG EGP contains no cleaning agents or polishing agents, basically its an extra tough sealant.

Lime Prime does contain cleaning and polishing agents to clean, polish & prepare the surface for your chosen wax.

Did you mean AG SRP, which is a combination cleaner, polish and sealant?

Mito Sportiva 135
is Lime prime the same type of stuff as EGP?

AG EGP contains no cleaning agents or polishing agents, basically its an extra tough sealant.

Lime Prime does contain cleaning and polishing agents to clean, polish & prepare the surface for your chosen wax.

Did you mean AG SRP, which is a combination cleaner, polish and sealant?

Ha yeah, I had read "SRP" when posting! My bad! :eek: Obviously EGP is a different kettle of chips!

Clio MK 4
so can someone clarify something for me.

Before i wax I prepare it with srp then egp.

Does this lime Prime replace the 2 before waxing?

106 GTi
Lime Prime would replace the SRP and EGP before waxing. It will not work with sealants.

You could SRP, Lime Prime and then wax, if you wanted some minor paint correction first.

Clio MK 4
i see. In your opinion rich which would you be sticking to

srp egp then wax or Lime Prime then wax. You probably said which you'd do in the info you wrote but cant find it.

106 GTi
On my daily car SRP and EGP with Wax

On my garaged and hardly used 182 lol - Lime Prime and Wax.

Dodo Juice have been busy of late producing some new products.

DW Doublewax – (as mentioned above) this is a carnauba enhanced reformulation of the main Dodo Juice waxes, to be applied as a soft wax (200ml) over a hard wax (200ml). It was conceived and developed by Detailing World and Dodo Juice as a joint venture. Due to the high performance of this product, it will be sold for £79.50 GBP inc VAT as a double wax kit only. Pots will not be sold separately. Initailly availble exclusively from Detailing World and then from main dealers in Jan’08.

Dodo will also have there own comparative Double Wax product available around the same time in Jan'08.

Dodo Juice Sample kits are on order and should be in stock mid December / Early Jan.

Pack of all 4 soft waxes @ £21.50 RRP
Pack of all 4 hard waxes @ £21.50 RRP
Pack of all 8 waxes @ £42.50 RRP

And due to popular demand Lime Prime will be made available in 500ml bottles @ £24.50 RRP. I hope to have stocks of the larger bottle mid December / Early Jan also.

Mito Sportiva 135
Sounds good, except I think they are in trouble with so many products confusing customers and encouraging them to go back to tried and tested products rather than having to read the Dodo weekly newsletter to keep up with all the latest waxest.

They should be good though. Mat, when you say "reformulation" - in what way exactly, higher caranuba content or what? Cheers.

Sounds good, except I think they are in trouble with so many products confusing customers and encouraging them to go back to tried and tested products rather than having to read the Dodo weekly newsletter to keep up with all the latest waxest.

They should be good though. Mat, when you say "reformulation" - in what way exactly, higher caranuba content or what? Cheers.

Good question, I'll find out for you.

Mat what size are the sample wax's...Any pics?
Dodo_Samples.gif

These are the sample pots recently issued to detailers. Size looks to be 30ml.

As I understand it the new sample packs will have slightly different packaging / labels. Will confirm back.