ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does a 172...

Golf GTD
Just a quick thought, when i was on a test drive in a 182, the guy said that the engine in the 182 is different. Said it didnt have the VVTi and all that.

Just wondered if the 172 still has the amazing 5k kick that the 182 i drove had.

That is all.

Thanks

Leon Cupra 300
ehhh. guy dont know what hes talking about, i thought the difference was with the exhaust system only

Golf GTD
so the 5k kick is still there?

i drove the megane 225 cup too, and although it was nice and everything, i think i prefered the 182FF just becasue of the 5k kick.

The turbo did sound wicked on the 225 though

LY 182
Thou shall recieve this "5k Kick" in any CS it is believed...

Yes 172/182 CUP/FF all got the kick.

P.S. Joining the "best" side are we?

172 Cup
KyleB said:
so the 5k kick is still there?

i drove the megane 225 cup too, and although it was nice and everything, i think i prefered the 182FF just becasue of the 5k kick.

The turbo did sound wicked on the 225 though

Both engines (172/182) have VVT BUT the kick at 5k isn't down to VVT it's simply the cams.

Golf GTD
maybe later this year, just insurance is the issue at the minute.

it'd be a shame to lose the quality of the 1.2 8v engine however. :clown:

.Grif. said:
Both engines have VVT BUT the kick at 5k isn't down to VVT it's simply the cams.

yeah thats what i thought, but i wasnt gonna argue as he was letting my blat it down the B roads

172 Cup
davep24 said:
the VVT selects the larger cams at 5k, so the kick IS down to the VVT

Wrong... VVT operates from 1300rpm and WOT. I'm sure Ben or Fred will explain in much more detail if you need it.

It's not VTEC which you're propbably on about.

Engles Mummy
A real man drives a 172 cup...

At 5k it's hardly a "kick" more of a "caress"

Lets not forget its only a little 2.0 lump N/A

Adam

133/225/CLS AMG
The 172 does have the kick as I owned one up until last November, now my missus has a 182 Cup and you still get that kick!!! :D

The Megane 225s have a smoother kind of power delivery but its a different kind of feeling. You get a sudden pull from 2500rpm which lasts through to the 6000rpm mark. Gives you a different sensation of acceleration thats all.

Engles Mummy
AlexJMills said:
The 172 does have the kick as I owned one up until last November, now my missus has a 182 Cup and you still get that kick!!! :D

lol what? Next you'll be telling me the 172/182s are supercars...

I'm sorry but there is no KICK on a 2.0, I own a modified 172 cup and believe me I know. Yea there is a slight increase in power when you get over 5k but nothing to brag about.

LY 182
Subway, please be more open minded here, people define a kick in different ways. In this case they are referring to the increase in power as a "kick" nothing else.

Ziel Nurburgring
Subway said:

I'm sorry but there is no KICK on a 2.0, I own a modified 172 cup and believe me I know. Yea there is a slight increase in power when you get over 5k but nothing to brag about.

You're obviously not using Optimax ;) ;) ;) ;)

cock mobile.
Subway said:

Dare I say it, he's right, lol.

There is a bit more pull at 5k, but it's not like a V-TEC kick.

And both engines are the same, different manifold, that's about it!

Dealers will tell you anything to make you pay!

Red Clio 197 F1
I wouldn't define my 172 having a kick at 5k either, just a good extra bit of power.

Certainly not in the league of my neighbours Lotus Exige - now that is a kick!!

cock mobile.
JayJo said:
Certainly not in the league of my neighbours Lotus Exige - now that is a kick!!

You should "look after" the spare key ;)

I'd love one of them one day, that new one in white mmmm :)

VaVa
Theres a definite change at 5k rpm when the cams begin to reach max VE.... The engine revs faster, pulls harder. Doesn't matter what you want to call it, that's totally subjective, but the bottom line is it happens on all 172's/182's.

BMW Z4 3.0i
No flaming for possibly talking crap here plaese, but.....

Isn't the valve timing controlled by the cam? So the timing of valves changing (VVT) be the same as the cam working differently? I still don't understand how (although not questioning it!) the cam can change or come 'on'? Is that not waht you have a twin cam for? I thought a cam is a piece of metal with ovals around it at different angles/phase to each other to control the timing of the valves.

This 'understanding' has come LARGELY from filling in the gaps myself so I wouldn't be surprised if it's all b****cks! I would be greatful if one of the proper techy guru's could tell us how it works as I'd like to know please :) Thanks!

GazCB said:
Isn't the valve timing controlled by the cam? So the timing of valves changing (VVT) be the same as the cam working differently? I still don't understand how (although not questioning it!) the cam can change or come 'on'? Is that not waht you have a twin cam for? I thought a cam is a piece of metal with ovals around it at different angles/phase to each other to control the timing of the valves.!
VVT activated at 1.6k and deactivates at 6.5k all it does is turn the intake cam by 14 degree or somthing (I forget from memory) its only there to help low speed idle and running and to help keep the power over 6.6k. The low down 4 or 5k kick is only ever so slight if you look at RR pribntouts it just seems more some cars have it more than others.

Your right a cam is a pieces of metal with ovals the ovels open the cloce the vales by making them operate easier in the cycle you can get more air in which means more power.

Twin cam has nothing to do with it coming on cam it just happens that the cams become more efficent the whole engine bits start to be more effecient breathers at this point and so the engine has more power. The advanateg of duel cam doesn't make any different for a 16V its better as it helps control the valves better a single vale could do it better but years ago sporty cars had twin cam aand made more power so manurfacturers had to all go to twin cam even though advanatges for power weren't there it just the more powerful sporty car engines of the time were designed with twin cam. Its like 16V it does help power over 8V but an 8V could be made to make the same power its just 8V was for engines known for bottom end and 16V for engine with top end power.

Ad

MK2 FRS
think that vvti only on the 182 comes from....... the advert and the fact that they advertise it specifically on the 182 ad.

rubbish of course.

Nissan 350Z
sh33n said:
Dare I say it, he's right, lol.

There is a bit more pull at 5k, but it's not like a V-TEC kick.

And both engines are the same, different manifold, that's about it!

Dealers will tell you anything to make you pay!

:rolleyes:

Hmmmmmmm

I've driven a Honda CTR. Big deal... its no more aggressive than the Clio when it comes on cam.

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
So sticking a 182 manifold on a 172 would give you the extra 10bhp? Would this be noticible in a 172? Wouldn't be any need to tell insurance about that one either I take it? I suppose you'd need a remap to take advantage of it though.

cornburn said:
So sticking a 182 manifold on a 172 would give you the extra 10bhp? Would this be noticible in a 172? Wouldn't be any need to tell insurance about that one either I take it? I suppose you'd need a remap to take advantage of it though.
The air filter is different as well.
But yep 182 manifold exhaust a decat and an exhaust and a reamp and you'g get the 182 power after a reamp. But there are easier and cheaper ways to 10hp like manifold work.

BMW Z4 3.0i
edde said:
VVT activated at 1.6k and deactivates at 6.5k all it does is turn the intake cam by 14 degree or somthing (I forget from memory) its only there to help low speed idle and running and to help keep the power over 6.6k. The low down 4 or 5k kick is only ever so slight if you look at RR pribntouts it just seems more some cars have it more than others.

Your right a cam is a pieces of metal with ovals the ovels open the cloce the vales by making them operate easier in the cycle you can get more air in which means more power.

Twin cam has nothing to do with it coming on cam it just happens that the cams become more efficent the whole engine bits start to be more effecient breathers at this point and so the engine has more power. The advanateg of duel cam doesn't make any different for a 16V its better as it helps control the valves better a single vale could do it better but years ago sporty cars had twin cam aand made more power so manurfacturers had to all go to twin cam even though advanatges for power weren't there it just the more powerful sporty car engines of the time were designed with twin cam. Its like 16V it does help power over 8V but an 8V could be made to make the same power its just 8V was for engines known for bottom end and 16V for engine with top end power.

Cheers for the explanation, seems I'd got by moderately ok just with my technical intuition! :)

Clio 172 mk2
cliobuyer said:
I don't notice it either, although to be fair the times i actually go above 5k is few and far between.

I was going to say that too...rarely get it on the limiter