ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does this look terminal!

I think it might be 🤣

I noticed a very faint noise appear like a brake pad on the metal from the front of my 172 cup earlier on, I carried on driving for a few mins to see if I could hear where it was coming from. I heard something ping off the exhaust then the noise stopped, then I could smell burning oil.

This is all I need at the moment FFS 😭

20200331_192141.jpg

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
That’s the diff crown wheel exposed.. Its FUBAR.... Complete gearbox required....

I've only got sellotape, will that do 🤔

Luckily I was nearly home when it happened, surprisingly it still drives fine and will select all gears so I'm curious as to what part of the box has escaped through that hole.

Might take it off later in the week and get the box apart for a look.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
You laugh but I had some sequential gearboxes from 90's peugeot touring cars that had all had their casings repaired with jb weld. Might get you out of a fix as an emergency get you home measure but you can see that fatigue crack go a fair way round that casing. As you are home already it wouldnt be worth any effort when replacements are common.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Seen one patched up with fibreglass and hopes and prayers before :D

Yeah, that's shot, even if you repaired it it'll crack further around, you can see where it's propagating. That and the casing will have shifted when it went under load so the diff bearings won't be true to each other any more anyway.

I wouldn't even attempt it, that casing is fit for the scrap bin only 😉

Just need to find a cup gearbox now with the speedo cable drive, or failing that is the only difference between the 2 boxes the speedo drive? If the other half of my casing is ok I could always get a normal 172 box and swap all the internals over?

Picking up a gearbox must count as essential travel at the moment surely 😂

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
ach drill a hole at the end of the crack and she be fine🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well it's out now, I would normally have taken it up my mates workshop and used his ramp but with this lockdown had to make do with the driveway and a few trolley jacks ☹

20200404_112607.jpg

Anyone want to guess what happened before I whip the casing off, something has got wedged somewhere I reckon to push the casing out that much 😱

20200404_112619.jpg

197 F1 ....309GTI
I've only got sellotape, will that do 🤔

Luckily I was nearly home when it happened, surprisingly it still drives fine and will select all gears so I'm curious as to what part of the box has escaped through that hole.

Might take it off later in the week and get the box apart for a look.
Reckon you were lucky it pinged out rather than in if it drives i'd clean off all the oil and try something out of a tube that u can buy on line let it cure for twice as long as recommended to be safe....good luck fella

I've only got as far as loosening off the nut and bolt holding 5th gear on so far but I noticed a big lump of metal down near the diff so I made the hole a bit bigger to get it out 😂

It's aluminium so guessing it's from the casing somewhere? It's pretty mangled so I think this is the piece that's got stuck between the diff and the casing but will try and get the rest apart tomorrow.

20200405_204246.jpg

That is actually fixable lol I’ve got all the parts in the garage too 👍🏻

I've noticed since I've been a member you're the resident gearbox rebuilder on here, are those parts for sale or do you only do the work yourself?

Is there a manual anywhere for the gearbox? I've rebuilt quite a few in the past (one of the joys of Gti-r ownership 😂) but it would be good to have something to go off other than my memory!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I've only got as far as loosening off the nut and bolt holding 5th gear on so far but I noticed a big lump of metal down near the diff so I made the hole a bit bigger to get it out 😂

It's aluminium so guessing it's from the casing somewhere? It's pretty mangled so I think this is the piece that's got stuck between the diff and the casing but will try and get the rest apart tomorrow.

View attachment 1463819

I've noticed since I've been a member you're the resident gearbox rebuilder on here, are those parts for sale or do you only do the work yourself?

Is there a manual anywhere for the gearbox? I've rebuilt quite a few in the past (one of the joys of Gti-r ownership 😂) but it would be good to have something to go off other than my memory!
That looks like it’s off the 5th gear selector fork mate. It acts like a locating dowel when it’s in gear, but I’m not sure what would’ve caused that to break off. Other than it’s french and just decided to throw the towel in 😂

Yeah sorry mate I keep the parts in stock for boxes I’m building. I don’t have a manual either as i stripped the first ones blind, and worked it out from there.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
That looks like it’s off the 5th gear selector fork mate. It acts like a locating dowel when it’s in gear, but I’m not sure what would’ve caused that to break off. Other than it’s french and just decided to throw the towel in 😂

Yeah sorry mate I keep the parts in stock for boxes I’m building. I don’t have a manual either as i stripped the first ones blind, and worked it out from there.

Not happening for a while but what do you charge for the box rebuilds & lsd fitting out of interest?
pm if you prefer.

Other than it’s french and just decided to throw the towel in 😂

I'm going with that option too 😂

Next question is are the outer casings interchangeable between the JC5 129 and JC5 130 boxes? If they are I think my best option is to get a normal 172/182 box and some new bearings and just rebuild it providing I don't find any other damage.

I can't find a JC5 129 box anywhere.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm going with that option too 😂

Next question is are the outer casings interchangeable between the JC5 129 and JC5 130 boxes? If they are I think my best option is to get a normal 172/182 box and some new bearings and just rebuild it providing I don't find any other damage.

I can't find a JC5 129 box anywhere.
I’m afraid not mate. There’s 2x different bearing setups. Post a picture of the 5th gear end without the gears on and I’ll tell you which box to look for. 👍🏻

Bit of a delay as I had to make a puller for 5th gear. You were spot on about the broken piece being from the 5th gear selector fork, the plastic end is missing off one side of the fork too!

20200407_162318.jpg

20200407_162337.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Bit of a delay as I had to make a puller for 5th gear. You were spot on about the broken piece being from the 5th gear selector fork, the plastic end is missing off one side of the fork too!

View attachment 1464289
View attachment 1464290
Right the good news is you can extend your search to a 130 box as you only need the upper half of the casing mate. It’s down to the bearing setup. It would be hit and miss as to if you’d get another 129 with that bearing setup, as Renault changed them part way through their build.

That selector fork is about £120 from memory, but you can get them off eBay for about £70/£80. They just look slightly different.

That's good news, might speed up the process of getting it back together a bit.

Thanks again for all your help, although there might be more questions to come yet 😂