ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dr Jekyll's Ph1 172 Progress Thread

Door pulls looking good Mark. Must do mine soon, your already putting my ph1 to shame :(

Also got my cliosport se sticker through :) will have to see about making the next meet and take s look at your motor :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member

Lol. I'm away this weekend so as soon as I'm back I shall give the car a clean up ;)

Beautiful car mate, I'll be checking in for tips.

Thanks Buddy! Not sure this is the thread for tips though...

I decided to buy this, this morning :) Will really tidy up the bay. Once it arrives I shall look into a coolant change.

Door pulls looking good Mark. Must do mine soon, your already putting my ph1 to shame :(

Also got my cliosport se sticker through :) will have to see about making the next meet and take s look at your motor :)

Not at all mate. Just trying to do a few little things in the evenings after work rather than sitting in front of the tv. I shall be at the Essex Xmas meal for a drink if you're popping down?

Good progress, Reminds me I really should get around to sorting my grubby interior

The door pulls dirt was quite easy to remove after a soak. Getting the center console done will be tougher. That will be done while it's still connected as I'm led to believe its a PITA to remove.

I have also ordered a new universal powerflex exhaust mount as mine is shot:

10991861973_f958ab0f3c.jpg

Knackered exhaust mount by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

This is is the one I've ordered:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161053133767?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Make sure you trim the powerflex mount down so its a snug fit, dont just force it in as it is. It will go in as it comes but it wont last long!

Bringing the car upto scratch nicely, your putting my ph1 to shame!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
that exhaust mount is only about 8 months old. hadnt even noticed it was shot tbf. loving the work so far mark. watching with a tinge on sadness.....

that exhaust mount is only about 8 months old. hadnt even noticed it was shot tbf. loving the work so far mark. watching with a tinge on sadness.....

I fitted a pattern mount last month its already knackered. Never thought about a powerflex one so im stealing that idea :) on my old Ph2 i found a bulky ford rubber in a parts bin and bonded that in did the trick fine.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure you trim the powerflex mount down so its a snug fit, dont just force it in as it is. It will go in as it comes but it wont last long!

Bringing the car upto scratch nicely, your putting my ph1 to shame!

I did read that on the original thread. Stanly blade the edges then cable tie them securely. I believe its 12mm drill but just slightly higher than central from what I've read.

Cracking work Mark.

Good stuff on the coolant bottle. :D

Cheers for the link mate. I thought that if that's the one you got and its good enough to live up to your standards then its got to be good! Lol

£10 is a lot cheaper than £40 that Renault want!

OCD as always mark. I am liking it though. Have to pop over and see it!!

Yes bud. Have you thought on what colour you are going get with yours?

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
reminds me abit of my old one, sold it to a guy off here but it seems to have disappeared :(

2009-10-18160557.jpg

2009-10-18160452.jpg

Looks smart Jon. I was unsure on the Ph2 sidestrips at first but seeing them in the flesh has changed my opinion.

Are those 16's? They look big for some reason? Spacers?

I see the exhaust was sitting a little low when I parked it up but have seen some stealth exhausts that are like that. So I had a look and there it was. Not a problem though.

Dont worry though Jamie, its in good hands :)

Was going to try but its a bit of a trek from down here :(

Im sure we will meet up soon buddy :)

I fitted a pattern mount last month its already knackered. Never thought about a powerflex one so im stealing that idea :) on my old Ph2 i found a bulky ford rubber in a parts bin and bonded that in did the trick fine.

There is a thread on it and that's where I got the idea from. I tigersealed my old ones but this seems a better idea. Worth a try for under £7.

Edit: Found the thread:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?558057-Uprated-modified-exhaust-mounts

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Looks smart mate! Get the sticker on ;-) they went down a treat with everyone

Will do Joe. Will have a go Monday me thinks.

Mark. Mark, thats not a gear knob.

Don't think it could be retrofitted do ya?

I've just re-read your tread again mate for inspiration. If mine is even a little bit as close to yours in regards to condition and work done I'd be well happy.

What coolant did you use when you did your coolant change Scott? Renault Type D?

Been looking a searches on here on the process of the full flush but I'm still confused! :S

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thanks mate. :eek:

Yes the Renault Type D, Adam @ Wolverhampton Renault will post it.

I took two hoses off and put a hose pipe into one of them so the water flows around the engine/rad and heater.

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
Looks smart Jon. I was unsure on the Ph2 sidestrips at first but seeing them in the flesh has changed my opinion.

Are those 16's? They look big for some reason? Spacers?

Yea 16 inch f1s with spacers. Thought I would have seen it pop up on here by now it's been like 4-5 years since I sold

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
A few bits turned up over the weekend:

11036430414_0af8ebe781.jpg

Ph1 interior door handles by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11036270076_7158a9bd79.jpg

Powerflex rear exhaust mount by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Top service from the powerflex comapany. Only ordered them Friday and they turned up on Saturday!

Just took it out for a quick spin to get some milk for the morning. I need to pull apart the door panels as it's got some rattling behind both driver and passenger doors. Hopefully I will be able to have a go at tackling that tommorow afternoon if all goes well. It goes well though. Took it up a nice bit of bypass and I must say that i think it feels quicker than my old 182. Im still getting used to it but it does put a smile on my face when I put my foot down :race:

172 Rep
Makes me so tempted to get a ph1 next year, epic motors hopefully see this car in the flesh at some meets next year. Good work pal ;-)

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
Thanks Dom :) Got a few bits that need to be done to it but that's the fun of it. However no carbon will be on this one ;)

What spacers and suspension were you on?

I was running non hubcentric 8mm spacers on the front just cheap universal ones that my mate had lying around and gave to me, only had them on the fronts nothing on the rears. i used to get slated for this but i ran apex lowering springs. Eibach didnt look low enough for my liking and as i was young i didnt want to drop 600-800 quid on coilovers. They where a bit crashy but nothing to bad atall, i never tracked it but it held the road really well. Kind of the usual sheep thing i think with the whole apex hate, one person had them slated them then everyone slates them yet i recon 99% of people who slated never actaully used em! The usual cs really!

Audi A5
It's Bobby. Not bobby ;)

Theirs enough about, the duck put his up last night and it's sold already, I would of snapped his arm off for it but I'm not getting one til mines gone. I've had a few people interested but no ones committed. I'm thinking of putting the seats up for sale seperate soon to help bring the price down. We're see, not a good time of year to sell tbh.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The car was booked into the garage this morning to have a look at the dodgy idle. When left for a while or when its cold the car stalls once the ignition is turned. I knew this when I bought it and all I had to do was hold the revs a little for a few seconds. I was told it could be the fuel regulator but wasn't 100%.

Left it with the garage to have a look and it turned out to be dodgy idle control valve pipework. It was a little too long with a kink in it so they shortened and straighten it out. Been fine since so that's good and they only charged me 1/2hrs labour :)

I also asked them in how much it would be to do a full coolant change including fitting my new coolant bottle and they quoted me the same labour time. I'm still a bit confused at doing it myself so once the bottle has arrived I shall book it in. Gives me piece of mind that it'll be done right for little cost.

Added the stickers and my Lego Dr Jekyll today too:

11055689504_5e67c7ae8f.jpg

Cliosport SE rear sticker by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11055791063_9843f1877d.jpg

Cliosport rear SE sticker by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11055740586_ffcca5fb4e.jpg

Cliosport windscreen sticker by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11055698915_99a6f83243.jpg

Cliopsport URL windscreen sticker by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11055872536_36c7985114.jpg

Ph1 mascot by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Got some cable ties today so i will do my Powerflex exhaust mount one night this week after work.

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
It's Bobby. Not bobby ;)

Theirs enough about, the duck put his up last night and it's sold already, I would of snapped his arm off for it but I'm not getting one til mines gone. I've had a few people interested but no ones committed. I'm thinking of putting the seats up for sale seperate soon to help bring the price down. We're see, not a good time of year to sell tbh.

Haha, i just edited it and then just see your reply :eek:

It makes sense to sell yours 1st before you buy another. Its hard as its so close to xmas which doesnt help you.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Did a few jobs today. Unfortunately i feel like crap and being in the cold didn't help but some jobs done are better than no jobs done.

11139785336_775a1403fb.jpg

Dirty parked ph1 by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

First job was to tackle the front bumper as its sagging on the drivers side. Jacked up and removed the inner arch liner to get a better look. It had a self taper through the bumper going into the wing. Unfortunately the clip on the bumper wasn't very good and the wing has got a bit missing on where it "should" clip to so i've left the bolt in and tightened it up with a clip on the end for something for it to bite too. Not perfect but better and only a tad of a sag now.

Before:

11139742595_86d92dba34.jpg

Loose front bumper by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11139815594_9732dc14d7.jpg

Loose bumper by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

After:

11139817364_56319085b7.jpg

Loose bumper bettered by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

I then decided to fit my new powerflex exhaust mount. I jacked up the rear to get better access and cut the old center out of the mount and cut the edges of the new one as they are slightly larger, then drilled the hole for the bracket and fitted:

11139809394_f81a9a46bb.jpg

New powerflex exhaust mount fitted by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

While it was jacked up i decided to remove the wheels to clean them up and also cleaned the shocks, springs and whiteline ARB.

11139948373_b62bb6091a.jpg

Sportlines and Koni's by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

The wheels needed a good clean up tbh. Im not sure when they was last cleaned before i bought it but ive never cleaned them since i bought the car, which was nearly 700 mile ago :eek: I used Wonder Wheels and a washing up sponge, soft on the outside and the scourer (non scratch ;)) side on the inside.

A few before's:

11139932563_9679ee4c7d.jpg

Dirty F1's by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11139836334_0079dc8ca6.jpg

50-50 wheel by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11139783096_198d34e2a7.jpg

Dirty wheel by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

A few after's:

11139756225_4c2c05dc81.jpg

Clean F1 by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11139933453_6a0fd02941.jpg

Cleaned F1 by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

When removing the NSF wheel i noticed a CV grease spillage :( Having a look and it turned to be the clip that holds the CV boot on had snapped and the boot had just slipped off. Luckily i had some spare cable ties from doing my exhaust mount so i used them as a clip. Worked a treat. Ive been out since with no more visible grease :) Easier to tell with my cleaned wheels lol.

Before:

11139830724_077dfe025e.jpg

Before F1 with added CV grease by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

After:

11139825654_11a4350354.jpg

Cleaned F1 without CV grease by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

There not perfect but a darn site better than they was. Tbh it was too cold and the Wonder Wheels was stinging the cuts on my hands!

New coolant bottle arrived this week so i took it to the garage near me and had them fit it with a full coolant flush and new coolant.

11139775246_107929dd2d.jpg

New coolant bottle by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

On my drive out tonight i noticed the temp gauge only reaches to this point even though i was driving for 1/2 drive to Tesco and back. Possibly a knackered thermostat?