ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E36 328i Sport - round 2!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Yo CS!

A bit of back story for those who don't recall; I used to own a Techno Violet 328i Sport a few years ago, a car that I searched high and low for for a very long time, but unfortunately only a year into ownership had to sell when I lost my job to redundancy.

9168727752_3d0552d307_k.jpg
029.jpg by DanielJames., on Flickr
9168719532_6dc5ebfe6a_k.jpg
008.jpg by DanielJames., on Flickr

It really was amazing spec, and despite having 165k on the clocks it drove amazingly.

It was an emotional goodbye, I made a little video review of the car before selling which is doing quite well on YouTube:

Anyway, fast forward around a year and I'm back on my feet and have a bit of cash spare cash... the hunt begins!

6 months later, on Christmas Eve, I spot this on my Instagram feed. I had a £3k budget for a 328i Sport, and this was well within it.

What else do you do on the Christmas break? I went straight down to Reading, a 4 hour trip each way, and collected it a few days later.

It wasn't perfect, but the bodywork was amazing. It had a few choice mods, lets say council mods. Black grilles, wheels, wing mirrors... and a aftermarket 'sport style rear spoiler with added //M badge.

Luckily, a friend of mine had some spare grilles, so that was the first job.

24292388760_ef3848d03d_k.jpg
DSC_0715 by DanielJames., on Flickr

Since then the car hasn't really been touched as a lot of my spare time has been spent working on my DC2, but today I had a few spare hours so took the car for a blast and got some pictures.

24477946092_65137be0a1_k.jpg
DSC_0718 by DanielJames., on Flickr
23959461453_7a311053cb_k.jpg
DSC_0719 by DanielJames., on Flickr
24560090706_1d0b2c7758_k.jpg
DSC_0723 by DanielJames., on Flickr
24290750610_75dbd7743f_k.jpg
DSC_0724 by DanielJames., on Flickr
24218518799_b851367d6c_k.jpg
DSC_0734 by DanielJames., on Flickr

As you can see the roads were filthy today, and with that quite slippy. So much fun was had!

Just before pulling in I grabbed a snap with the daily B6 A4 Avant, 211k and counting on that old girl now. Also bought in quite a council state, but I haven't been bothered to go all "Pretty Woman" on the Audi just yet... Again - too busy with the Integra!

24477952242_022ec8703a_k.jpg
DSC_0747 by DanielJames., on Flickr

Plans for the future? I want to make my "ultimate" E36 - minus an engine with a "S" on the front anyway. (I've come to the conclusion that I can't have a S50/4 yet whilst owning the DC2 at the same time. If that ever goes, a M3 will replace it.)

[*] Alcantara Vader Interior
[*] M3 LSD
[*] M3 Clocks w/oil temp sensor (I loves to see my oil temps)
[*] Hellrot Mirrors
[*] Amber Front Corners
[*] Original finish M3 Sunflower alloys
[*] MTECH steering wheel
[*] Wood Pack

Luckily the car already had sunflowers fitted, so I'll just need to get them redone silver, or maybe do it myself depending on time.

As you can see from the list, a lot of those parts were what my other E36 already had. In a cruel twist of fate, that car has now gone to the Bavarian scrap yard in the sky. The guy who broke it for bits is a friend however, and has the LSD, clocks, wheel, and wood pack, ready for me to pickup whenever. I've also sourced a M3 Vader Interior in Alcantara which I'll be going to look at hopefully next weekend. I missed out on a set the other week, I was gutted!

Anyway, time to wrap this up. I hope you've enjoyed the pictures and my ramblings. I'll be sure to update with progress as and when... always a good idea to follow me on Instagram however if you're on there, as I'm a whore and love that app! @dannydc2

Cheers,
Dan

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
When I saw the thread title, I hoped it was you with this 328! Been following you on Instagram for a while. Loved your Techno Violet one so will be nice to see how this one turns out.

One of these is definitely on my 'to own' list.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Alcantara vader seats are a MUST.

Good buy though fella, will be following with interest.

PS, I prefer the black grills. Council-spec FTW

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Thanks chaps... Can't wait to get the wheels redone silver. I am on the search for a later staggered set too if anyone sees any let me know!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Update time!

Got most of the Alcantara Vader interior in yesterday, and I've had my wheels powdercoated to factory silver and fitted new BMW badges all round. Just copy badges I might add, curiosity got the better of me!

I've also added an extra spring pad to try and raise the rear up and fitted new Kumho tyres in 235/45/17 all round (factory 3.0 M3 size).

Also added is a Mtech steering wheel from my old E36, and I've collected a 3.0 3.15 LSD which will go on sometime in the next few weeks.

I didn't have time to wash it, but here are some updated pictures. I'm sure you'll agree it looks loads better.

First up, the interior:
25025895035_73175dd927_b.jpg
Hellrot Red E36 by DanielJames., on Flickr
25025895585_8702d8f14d_b.jpg
24730367880_06516c02b6_b.jpg

As you can see I didn't have chance to finish the door cards. I've had to remove the inner fabric from the M3 door cards and swap it with that of my OEM Sport door cards, as the M3 ones had big ghastly speakers fitted to them :(

I also need to dye the fabric of my parcel shelf and fit the rear alcantara headrests which are in the garage.

24999566216_dfbb35b205_b.jpg

I haven't had chance to look at the misting offside headlight yet, but the OEM Kidney Grilles and new bonnet badge have really smartened up the front end.

24395292004_0d53cdba66_b.jpg

This is my favourite photo of the car now!

24658283669_db09fd8107_b.jpg
24730373710_0e00337569_b.jpg

There's still many jobs to do, but the list is growing smaller. In the pipeline I have:
* Replace OBC, possibly with 18 button variant
* Install M3 clocks, figure out how to get the oil temp working :nuts:
* Finish door cards, install
* Install 3.0 LSD
* Make a decision on ride height, I do have some Eibach Pro springs that I could fit
* Install backbox delete - I bought this off a friend for cheap, with brand new OEM BMW tips it was a steal at £50. It's a OEM backbox with the silencers removed. Hopefully it won't be too council...
* Replace gearnob, probably go for a 5speed ZHP/E46 M knob
* Fix sticky 5th gear selection, need to read up on this, apparently it's a common E36 problem.
* Replace bonnet dampers
* Replace airbox (currently has a cone filter :sick: )

I think that about covers it!

Also if you're into watching people on YouTube play with cars I've been "VLOGging" a while now and did a video on the E36 yesterday, any interaction would be lovely :)

All the best,
Dan

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Awesome! I love e36's

Has to be throwing stars though. Possibly my favourite all time wheel.

The interior looks amazing too. How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Awesome! I love e36's

Has to be throwing stars though. Possibly my favourite all time wheel.

The interior looks amazing too. How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking?
I do love throwing stars too, bloody expensive for a proper set though!

The interior was quite cheap at £380 for everything, all seats, door cards, etc. It isn't perfect but anything under £500 is never going to be. For seats that are at least 20 years old however, they're decent!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
To me that's a lot of money for seats! They are lovely though and probably quite hard to come by. Car looks great. Not sure which colour I prefer. The red is probably easier to live with day to day but when TV is polished up it is stunning

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Every time I see this I want one more and more.

Silver wheels look 100 times better!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
S'alright, that.

In all seriousness, who the f**k has the wheels painted black in 2016? The previous owner must've been a right cabbage. Silver looks 10,000,000x better.

Loads better with silver wheels! Still a little low at the back for me though.
I'm pretty sure I've got an E30 SMF flywheel with brand new bolts etc if you want them?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
To me that's a lot of money for seats! They are lovely though and probably quite hard to come by. Car looks great. Not sure which colour I prefer. The red is probably easier to live with day to day but when TV is polished up it is stunning

I've seen them for up to £1000 in perfect condition. Usually around £600 when/if they come up online.

Yeah, that's lovely.

Thanks!

I love red beemers, that's lovely. Any sign of rust yet?

There's a smidge on the rear quater as expected, really light bubble. Nothing to worry about TBH. 100x better than most!

With red mirrors that'll look great!

Yeah, that needs sorting.

Love it mate, love how I know exactly where you are in the videos living in Elmsall lol.

Haha another local lad... not many 'enthusiasts' round our way!

Every time I see this I want one more and more.

Silver wheels look 100 times better!

Thanks man!

S'alright, that.

In all seriousness, who the f**k has the wheels painted black in 2016? The previous owner must've been a right cabbage. Silver looks 10,000,000x better.

f**k off Jason

Loads better with silver wheels! Still a little low at the back for me though.
I'm pretty sure I've got an E30 SMF flywheel with brand new bolts etc if you want them?

Could be a job for the future, I haven't really driven it yet so I'm not sure where I want to go with those kind of mods. It definitely still has the CDV!

I think I'm going to put the Eibach Pros on it off my old E36, just a bit worried about the front arch gap.