ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E46 M3 - Project/Ownership Thread.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Depo's are staying I'm afraid, but I will rectify the grills.

Z4
I told you in my first post the grills and indicators would tack it up but I got shot down in flames by people with higher post counts lol, nevermind.

All easlily reversible!

please please please dont buy those fake LED rear lights they are shocking and even worse in the flesh,if you cant stretch tour budget to real ones then keep the original lights in place.
i have to agree on the grills and smoked lights on the front,they dont suit the silver and take the class away from the car :(
my car has the plinth removed and definately looks better than with it, will get a 3/4 plate when i get round to it

You haven't seen a good quality set then, depos are aesthetically perfect to oem on the exterior. Too much £ for the real thing plus an Lcm reflash etc.

DSC_1439-1.jpg

All this car needs IMO is depo led rear lights as above featured on my old steed, silver visions, and a good set of rims, done.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
They look bang on Chris, are they the same as I linked above?

The grill I had to try, not the end of the world.
Good set of rims will be on the way after the other bits and bobs. Been doing some research and I think my front wishbones are a bit tired, so will be getting them done and probably fit some springs in the next few weeks, then the leather, then probably be ready for insp.2, then the wheels.

Anyone in the know got opinions on Intrax or Eibach springs?

Never above 25mpg

Good set of rims will be on the way after the other bits and bobs. Been doing some research and I think my front wishbones are a bit tired, so will be getting them done and probably fit some springs in the next few weeks, then the leather, then probably be ready for insp.2, then the wheels.

Wouldn't know about the ride on the M3 but I've got some Proline springs on my 330ci and the ride and handling is pretty much OEM.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
I had my previous E46 M3 on Apex and they gave just the right drop. I will be doing the same to my new one, although heard good things about intrax. Wouldnt bother with eibach as you cant even tell it has been lowered.

Z4

Theyre not the same mate, these are real led rears made by depo shipped from US.
Iirc inc postage and import charge they were around £140

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Did you import them yourself Chris?
Straight swap over?

e91 330d/type r mini
I told you in my first post the grills and indicators would tack it up but I got shot down in flames by people with higher post counts lol, nevermind.

All easlily reversible!

You haven't seen a good quality set then, depos are aesthetically perfect to oem on the exterior. Too much £ for the real thing plus an Lcm reflash etc.

DSC_1439-1.jpg

All this car needs IMO is depo led rear lights as above featured on my old steed, silver visions, and a good set of rims, done.
he stated in an earlier post he was going to use the fake led lights that still retain the normal bulbs,they are the ones that i am on about, the fake led's that still use normal bulbs are shocking.
i had the US ones one my last m3 and i was more than happy with them although after 2 1/2 years they did start to let water in and a few of the led's stopped working.

Last edited:
  Z4
Did you import them yourself Chris?
Straight swap over?

I did, started a group buy over on cutters, they're popular so it wouldnt suprise me if there's another one going on, if not do one yourself :)
Fitting is a straight swap. The only negative is inside the boot there's no cover for the rear of the light, I'm sure one could be fabricated but I never bothered tbh.

i think you misread what i put, yes the fake led rear lights that are led's are nice, the fake led's that still use normal bulbs are shocking.
i had the US ones one my last m3 and i was more than happy with them although after 2 1/2 years they did start to let water in and a few of the led's stopped working.

Sorry mate I did misread lol.
led look with normal bulbs are very poor!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Thanks Chris, will have a look on there for them.

Took a few pictures this weekend after giving it a decent clean. There's a lot more bodywork that needs sorting than I originally thought, near on a full respray to get it as mint as I want it so that's another job for the list I guess!

Shouldn't look like this for too long now, next job is lowering it, some nice 19's (probably CSL's if I can find some genuine ones) and then other bits and bobs.

Drove to Sheffield for a piss up weekend with the car 4 up and managed 38mpg @ 65mph! I left an hour earlier than I should so thought there's no point racing there!

IMG_2319.gif

IMG_2320.gif

IMG_2321.gif

IMG_2323.gif

IMG_2327.gif

IMG_2329.gif

IMG_2330.gif

Few other bits and bobs to change along the way too just to smarten it up. Love this car!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well the LED rears i ordered have turned up. Paid £120 through ebay and they've turned up and are depo's. They look great! Shame i dont have a E46 anymore..haha

Never above 25mpg
Well the LED rears i ordered have turned up. Paid £120 through ebay and they've turned up and are depo's. They look great! Shame i dont have a E46 anymore..haha

Tom, did you get a chance to fit them before you sold the car?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I have 2 sets of 18's now. Might look a bit better when lowered and spaced out on them, then see what takes my fancy.
Colour change on 18's maybe?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Bit of an update on the car.

Managed to get a Mk4 nav unit and digital TV box, so now just need to sort bluetooth out one way or another for the AV side to be complete.

Dropped the car at the bodyshop for rear arch rust and front bumper respray this evening too.

Still got a way to go but getting there slowly. Next up will be some new wishbones, bushes and probably some coil overs.
Nipped out over the weekend with a good director/photographer friend of mine for some special snaps; few from the iPhone first though!

IMG_2346.gif

IMG_2349.gif

IMG_2350.gif

IMG_2352.gif

IMG_2353.gif

Loving these teaser ones he sent

IMG_2360.gif

IMG_2361.gif

Obviously very edited but that was the point!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Waiting for him to sort them.
Going to get the best one printed nice and big for my workshop wall, remind me why I'm there 80+ hours a week!

Just blu-tacked my private plate on the back for the pics, and looks so much better with the front plate removed! Going to run my 3/4 front without the plinth until I get pulled over!
Thinking of refurbing my other 18's in anthracite for now, and save for some awesome 19's ready for the spring.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry but the depo's and grills make it look like the stereotypical chavy M3. Even losing the plate looks bad imo. Yeah it'd work if it had "stance" and wanted to be cool.

(but then i'm driving a Leon currently so my opinion is invalid)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Grills will be changed so solves one, and the plate can always be put on so will see how it looks. Nothing is permanent at the minute so I;m not too fussed if it looks s**t or not!

Personally I think it will look good though...! I hope!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Car looks great. Really don't like those pics though, wayyyy over processed.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I just love those 18" wheels. They look so right.
Funnily enough, there seem to be fewer M3s with these wheels than the blingy 19s.
The choice of wheels says something about the owner too (as does a pair of extra doors) ;-)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
The pics are a bit of fun, a lot of hate!

The 18's look so much better in person, and as said a lot rarer I think!
I think I'll wack some cookies on it which sshould make them look a lot nicer and then go from there. Plus it's a lot easier to find cool wheels that most people don't have in 18's from what ive seen when looking.

Had the rusty arch stripped back, nothing more than a couple of scabs so caught it nice and early. Should have it back Thursday with a fresh front end :D

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Got the car back from the bodyshop with a bit of a freshen up.
Also got my new plates made up for when they are transferred on, front is a 3/4 size just cut down, looks tiny! Not sure if it might be a bit too much of a pisstake but will see when it's on.

Had the outside of the black grill colour coded whilst he was at it, personally I think it looks a lot better than before.
Going to get some new headlight lenses as in person they let the front end down quite a lot as they're marked/stonechipped a bit.

Also bought some Gliptone leather care products to try and tidy the leather up until I find someone good who can redye it for me. Came out a million times better :D

IMG_2386.gif

IMG_2387.gif

IMG_2389.gif

Before:

IMG_2391.gif

IMG_2392.gif

After:

IMG_2393.gif

IMG_2394.gif

Also realised the steering wheel stitching was coloured, was black previously!!

IMG_2395.gif

IMG_2396.gif

Getting my other set of 18's refurbed in anthracite and then it'll be lowered, then I'll be mostly happy with it for the time being.

Never above 25mpg
Looks much better colour coded! That leather's so vibrant now too! My driver's bolster needs a redye!

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Still prefer the original chrome grills if I'm being honest.

Leather looks a lot better though :) Try liquid leather / scuff master before paying someone else to dye it. The product was used by many, with success, on the e36coupe forum whilst I used to visit that site.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
This was the liquid leather stuff creedo, it's pretty good.

Will still get someone to redye it as you can still see the wear etc, but for now it's much better and not as obvious.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Grills look good. Not sure on the plate tbh.

With regards to the rust on the front wings, sadly they rot from the inside out. It'll come back again. Hopefully for you not too soon.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Waiter, tell me more.....!

Front wings are fine inside and out Tom, just had 1 rear done and the other was done a few years ago so I should be ok for a while.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Where abouts are you mate?
How long would it take etc? Do you know where to get the dye from to match and would you be able to just do the 2 fronts?

Turbos.
God. Now why have you put a border on that tiny plate? Seriously, have you consider walking instead? Stop doing it wrong!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
That's a bit excitable!
Cos I like having a border on a plate, personal opinion and all that?

I could say the same thing about you spunking £40+k on a golf in drag but I don't!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Where abouts are you mate?
How long would it take etc? Do you know where to get the dye from to match and would you be able to just do the 2 fronts?

East Yorkshire, 20 mins from York.

It'd take an hour, I could talk you through it on the phone if you like? Search for scuff master on eBay, then email the guy selling with the colour of your leather and the car, he'll send you the right kits. Getting a perfect match can be a bit tough though.