ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E85 3.0 Z4 Roadster Project

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
So, I need the advice of CS.

I've found some new headlights, not facelift ones unfortauntely, but proper BMW Xenon's, an option I'm missing.

I've secured a great price, but there's a catch, they're black inserts. Do I go for them?

I think the black can sort of tie through, all black grilles, black tyres, black mirror bases, black roof....?

Don't base opinion on the photo itself, just the lights, the photo of my car is a good one, and the only pic I can find of the black on silver is a rubbish one, so:

My lights...

8613231847_0684fbc4a6_c.png

New lights:

media?id=171665200.gif

Clio 172
Go for it, it still looks lovely, and it hardly makes a difference. If there a billy bargain it doesn't matter IMO, it doesn't really take much away from it.

How often do the silver ones come up, and is it worth the price difference?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
They do not look the same! They're a good price, and it's not the silver ones that never come up, it's xenon's in general never come up for a reasonable price.

The zed has all the bits and bobs to just work automatically, so they're literally plug and play too...

I think I prefer silver inserts, but I'm really not sure.

I'll just have to buy them and see..

Oh, and thanks Stu, I do really like the 350's.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
At the moment, I'm a big fan. It's fast enough for road use, handles well, is quite playful if you turn the traction off. There's not a lot not to like.

The sport button has more affect than one has ever had in any car I've regularly driven, trottle response is seriously sharp and steering weights up nicely.

Overall, for me, it's the best car I've ever owned, what's next at the moment I just don't know.

BMW M135i
I'm a Xenon ***** but i'm not sure about the black on a silver car looks a little dated like a scruffy iceberg ph2 172 does. Excause my ignorance any pics of facelift ones?

350z GT
At the moment, I'm a big fan. It's fast enough for road use, handles well, is quite playful if you turn the traction off. There's not a lot not to like.

The sport button has more affect than one has ever had in any car I've regularly driven, trottle response is seriously sharp and steering weights up nicely.

Overall, for me, it's the best car I've ever owned, what's next at the moment I just don't know.

Whats the weight of one of these? Is it noticeable? As the first time I jumped in mine from a cup I could feel the extra half ton instantly, but it works for its advantage oddly to mould how you drive it.

Why not just stick an OEM coloured HID kit in your current headlights? If you're that bothered about keeping the silver.

Z4

I'm having trouble finding a worthy replacement! They're unbelievably great all rounders, and immense VFM.

Prefer the silvers mate, the black ones look dated.

53 Clio's & counting
If they are a good price then do it mate, especially if it's a plug and play - fit them, try them and if they don't like it then sell them on.

IMO they look fine, but need more shots to be 100%

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Great motor, nice mods.. Ive got a Z4 but never even dawned on me to add mods till I found CS.. What else have you got planned?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm a Xenon ***** but i'm not sure about the black on a silver car looks a little dated like a scruffy iceberg ph2 172 does. Excause my ignorance any pics of facelift ones?

Facelift ones have clear indicators, and either black or silver inners.

I do agree with you and that's my concern, I'm thinking possibly buy them, fit them, and if I don't like them, offer a straight swap with an owner with a darker car. All the boys with black/grey cars love the black lenses, they look great on them. It may be an option, so we'll see.

Pic of facelift lights:

Black inners:

car_id_461_1.jpg

Clear inners:

2005%20BMW%20Z4%20Roadster%20Front%20Side%20Pose%20In%20Silver.jpg

Whats the weight of one of these? Is it noticeable? As the first time I jumped in mine from a cup I could feel the extra half ton instantly, but it works for its advantage oddly to mould how you drive it.

They're not heavy cars mate, just over 1200kg, so they still feel very nimble, which for me is what I like. Can really throw it about tbh.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Why not just stick an OEM coloured HID kit in your current headlights? If you're that bothered about keeping the silver.

Primary reason is that one of my lights had condensation it in, I've fixed it, but it's left some water marks inside the lense you cannot get rid of without cutting the light up.

If they are a good price then do it mate, especially if it's a plug and play - fit them, try them and if they don't like it then sell them on.

IMO they look fine, but need more shots to be 100%

That's what I though, the only photo I've found isn't great, so maybe they'll look decent. If not I can offer a swap and hopefully have exactly what I want.

Great motor, nice mods.. Ive got a Z4 but never even dawned on me to add mods till I found CS.. What else have you got planned?

Thanks mate. Funny how that works, on a Clio forum, found z4 mods, lol!

I've got loads planned, not sure how much I'll do.

Eibach springs
//M multifunction steering wheel
Either an //M or facelift front bumper
Remap possibly

350z GT
They're not heavy cars mate, just over 1200kg, so they still feel very nimble, which for me is what I like. Can really throw it about tbh.

Ah ok, lighter than I thought actually. Mines in at 1500kg.
Whats the power output for yours?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I really think those black lights date the car quite badly.

​Not for me i'm afraid.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
I really think those black lights date the car quite badly.

​Not for me i'm afraid.

Pretty much the same - honestly think the silver ones look so much better. But having seen the lights for sale on the Z4 forum can see why you're tempted!

Z4
The bhp/ton figure must be pretty good given the weight Rob?

Around 190bhp/ton, the facelift has 260bhp so more around 200bhp/ton.

They're great drivers cars, for the road especially.
I couldn't help myself, I went out on a test drive with a z4 M roadster the other day with intent to buy but it disappointed me! For a road car, the 3.0 is perfect, the M is just too much for British roads, I thought this when I had my M3 but this test drive just confirmed it for me. The acceleration is savage, there's no other way of explaining it, the power delivery doesn't work on the road IMO.
I got in mine afterwards, drive home expecting it to feel like a piece of crap, to my surprise it was lovely. So smooth, plenty enough acceleration to see off most things on the road AND have fun without loosing my license. It doesn't have the thrill the M does at 10/10ths but that's to be expected, the extra running costs aren't worth it.

350z GT
Around 190bhp/ton, the facelift has 260bhp so more around 200bhp/ton.

They're great drivers cars, for the road especially.
I couldn't help myself, I went out on a test drive with a z4 M roadster the other day with intent to buy but it disappointed me! For a road car, the 3.0 is perfect, the M is just too much for British roads, I thought this when I had my M3 but this test drive just confirmed it for me. The acceleration is savage, there's no other way of explaining it, the power delivery doesn't work on the road IMO.
I got in mine afterwards, drive home expecting it to feel like a piece of crap, to my surprise it was lovely. So smooth, plenty enough acceleration to see off most things on the road AND have fun without loosing my license. It doesn't have the thrill the M does at 10/10ths but that's to be expected, the extra running costs aren't worth it.

Didnt know they were that high tbh, what's the torque figures like?

I really really want one of these now. Properly grown on me recently.
Oddly, I think the silver headlamps look a bit better - its usually the other way round. Silver looks fresh, black with the amber indicators looks kinda dated/poverty spec. IMO anyway.
Having proper Xenons would potentially outweigh that though. Because baller. Just make sure they're turned on 100% of the time.

E85 3.0i
Car is looking fantastic Rob, wheels suit it down to the ground. Epic seat jealousy going on. Aux in exactly where I have mine, and iPod/phone in string pocket/under handbrake - bosh.

Just buy the lights, because if you don't I'll have to buy the lights... Oh yeah except I need a new roof motor, hooray.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for all the positive comments ya'll, appreciated. It doesn't scrub up bad for what is now an "old" motor really..

Anyway, "project headlights" is now under way.

I bought the lights, 5 minutes after purchase I've already set up a swap with a black car owner with silver insert xenons.

So I get my silver inner xenon lights, for the cheap price I've got the black ones for (straight swap) and we both get better looking cars for it! Reeeeesult.

Car is looking fantastic Rob, wheels suit it down to the ground. Epic seat jealousy going on. Aux in exactly where I have mine, and iPod/phone in string pocket/under handbrake - bosh.

Just buy the lights, because if you don't I'll have to buy the lights... Oh yeah except I need a new roof motor, hooray.

Tommy, new motor? Take yours out and clean it up, from what I've read it works 99% of the time.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The amber in the headlights makes them for me. I think without it the lights look too big for the "face" of the car. The smoked ones look a bit too halal for me, sorry.