ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ECU control of Fuel Pump in 2000 Clio 1.6

Clio 1.4s
The other day my 2000 1.6 Clio came to an unexpected halt. First thought was TDC sensor so out it came and a quick clean up (it didn't seem to be dirty) and off we went again - for about 100 yards. Same again, engine died.
I got my brother-in-law to give me a tow home (well I've got him out of trouble a few times) and had to leave the clio for a few days due to lack of time.
Next time I started it up it fired up OK and I left it idling for 30 minutes no problem.
Next time it ran briefly then died.
Next I got logical and checked ignition (spark) - OK
Fuel - well the fuel pump came on for about two seconds then died - along with the engine of course. Probing around with the meter I found that the ECU control of the fuel relay was dropping out. I bypassed that so the fuel relay comes on with the ignition switch and and all was well.

SO I have a running clio with the fuel pump no longer controlled by the ECU. I'm inclined to leave it like this rather than start delving into the wiring loom to the ECU. After all, its no different to how fuel pumps were wired prior to ECU days.

Anybody have any comments as to advisability or otherwise of doing this? I don't know if there's a good reason why the fuel pump is controlled by the ECU. The inertia switch will still kill it in the case of an impact.
Many thanks for any observations.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Key in the ignition and turned on but not running - what is the little red LED doing: Flashing at 1Hz/4Hz/Solid On?

Clio 1.4s
Thanks for the response.
Not the immobiliser. LED comes on then goes out as normal when key is turned. When I bypass the ECU so the fuel pump runs the engine starts.
Cheers.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Then it's a fault with the pump control relay/circuit. Easy enough to diagnose tbh

Clio 1.4s
That's exactly what I diagnosed and why I removed the pump from ECU control. Question was "Anybody have any comments as to advisability or otherwise of doing this?"
Car runs quite happily with pump controlled by ignition switch (via its relay) Can't see any problem with leaving it like that.
If its an ECU problem that's quite expensive to fix.
If its a wiring loom problem then I think I may trigger more faults by pulling it apart.

Clio 1.4s
Found the problem. The car stopped running again and I found that the fuel pump relay was getting quite hot.
Measuring the resistance between the contacts with the relay operating it varied from almost 0 to 20 or 30 ohms - enough to kill the pump and cook the relay.
New relay has fixed the fault.
ECU etc. is blameless.