ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EH?. . . WHAT?... Sound deadening.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So I'm guessing there are still a good few of us who use their Clios on the road and even some like me that use it as a daily driver.
A couple of threads recently have gotten me thinking into adding some (reasonably) lightweight sound deadening to try and make the little Clio a bit more refined day to day.

Now I'm fully expecting all the "What do you expect mate... its a Clio" comments. :rolleyes:

But i know not all of these cars are stripped to the bone track rats.
Has anyone added some Dynamat or similar, how much did you add and what was your thoughts on doing so?

Clearly I'm not looking for Rolls Royce levels of NVH here, just maybe make the car feel a little more plush day to day. Now i love driving it so no, im not going to trade it for something new. If i wanted to do that, id have done so already.

Experiences?

Just would like to make this a bit nicer to be in :)
AC379242-0296-4ADB-A9BC-9B7EA32C9519.jpeg

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I don't have any experience directly with the Clio, but I'm really interested to hear others.

I have done it on an Elise, though. It might be different, as it had zero sound deadening already (Not sure what various clios have standard?) but the concept was getting the most improvement for the least weight. Just adding some mass in the form of a square of sound deadening in the middle of the big flat aluminum floor panels and covering it with carpet made a huge difference.

I wonder if you could apply a similar concept to door and floor panels if you don't want to start covering everything in dynamat.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not done it in a clio but In my last recovery truck, I removed all of the interior and the door cards.
I put Dynamat on 3/4 of the interior panels including the roof.
I’d say overall it was the same size as a clio, maybe bigger??
In terms of weight, all the rolls I bought weighed the same as a reasonably heavy bag of shopping. Nothing really.
As for sound deadening, it was 100% better in there. Honestly couldn’t believe the difference. Well worth it.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Should already have a load of similar stuff as stock shouldn't it?
Agreed it has some... but like all cheap hatchbacks like these, quality NVH costs money and manufacturers aren't too happy about spending it on cars this cheap. lol.
Im just wondering if any of the more modern butyl/foam suppressors that are now available might go some way to adding a little more refinement to stop panels and trim occasionally humming.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Not done it in a clio but In my last recovery truck, I removed all of the interior and the door cards.
I put Dynamat on 3/4 of the interior panels including the roof.
I’d say overall it was the same size as a clio, maybe bigger??
In terms of weight, all the rolls I bought weighed the same as a reasonably heavy bag of shopping. Nothing really.
As for sound deadening, it was 100% better in there. Honestly couldn’t believe the difference. Well worth it.
Superb response Dan, that's exactly the kind of feedback i was hoping to hear. Do you remember what brand you used?
I don't mind adding a little weight, but obviously not wanting to go mental. From what im reading, a 2 layer system of butyl with a secondary foam overlay seems to be the way to go.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Superb response Dan, that's exactly the kind of feedback i was hoping to hear. Do you remember what brand you used?
I don't mind adding a little weight, but obviously not wanting to go mental. From what im reading, a 2 layer system of butyl with a secondary foam overlay seems to be the way to go.
It was ages ago, I think maybe 2012??

at the time, I’d only ever heard of Dynamat so that’s what I used. Most likely bought it from a ripspeed advert at the back of a Revs magazine! 😂

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Someone on here had a ridiculously clean Arctic Blue 182 that they put sound deadening in, can't remember who it was. Others might remember it, I remember it because it was the most meticulously well kept car I think I've ever seen, was perfect.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I was thinking something the same for mine since getting my new exhaust (it might be loud but hell of a lot quieter than the previous one which was so poor fitting it banged on the chassis which made the car undrivable). I was going to put some under the boot mat as a starting point and maybe down behind the rear door cards. I would also put some under the back seats but they are coming out in the future

In my old Ph1 I removed the sound deadening and from what I remember it was in really odd positions, isn’t it all like calculated to be in certain places and angles? It was doing my OCD in knowing it was on the piss and not central in panels.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Yes it will be calculated where they can add the least amount of product for the most reduction in NVH.
My car runs no back seats as i just prefer the appearance but all carpet and trim remain. So i was thinking about doing door skins, rear qtrs, full boot and tailgate plus under the rear bench etc.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds a good plan to me that does. Didn’t think of the tail gate but there is some gaps in the double skin of that

It’s one thing I have noticed is how refined new cars are. Going from a new M140i to the Ph1 made me appreciate it. Doesn’t stop me enjoying the Clio more! Well, if it had heated seats....

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I've done some sound deadening in my clio and it certainly makes a difference to some vibration/booming even with a full non res milltek and solid mounts all round. I have a small amount in my doors, full rear quarters, underneath the rear seat bench and then in the boot. I used 30 sheets of silentcoat deadening to do the whole lot but could probably do with more to do the doors properly.

1613598714292.png

1613598836052.png

1613598941429.png

1613598952938.png

I used a little wooden roller for application. Also since found out its a good idea to get some real heat into the matting, either with a heatgun or a blow torch but you have to be careful not to damage the paint on the other side if doing the rear quarters!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've done some sound deadening in my clio and it certainly makes a difference to some vibration/booming even with a full non res milltek and solid mounts all round. I have a small amount in my doors, full rear quarters, underneath the rear seat bench and then in the boot. I used 30 sheets of silentcoat deadening to do the whole lot but could probably do with more to do the doors properly.

View attachment 1522141
View attachment 1522142
I knew it! 😂😂

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1522141
View attachment 1522142

View attachment 1522143
View attachment 1522144

I used a little wooden roller for application. Also since found out its a good idea to get some real heat into the matting, either with a heatgun or a blow torch but you have to be careful not to damage the paint on the other side if doing the rear quarters!

Perfect Louis, exactly what im thinking.
Ive been reading that a closed cell foam over the top as a decoupling layer takes it to another level again.

Would you say it was worthwhile doing?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Perfect Louis, exactly what im thinking.
Ive been reading that a closed cell foam over the top as a decoupling layer takes it to another level again.

Would you say it was worthwhile doing?
I think as @mikeh said, sometimes less is more when it comes to using the silentcoat deadening as you're wanting to change the acoustics of the panel as a whole. Means you should get away with less than i've used and then using the foam instead.

I'm definitely no expert on where is best to use either type, more the reason I just used silentcoat rather than foam was I had it in my garage! I only spent £40 on the whole lot, looks to have gone up in price when i had a quick look now which may make the closed foam more affordable? I also bought single sided foam tape to stop bits and pieces rattling but I need to look into this again IMHO.

I'd say for the time it takes to do and the low cost its definitely worth doing, especially with your rear seats out as it'll resonate much more than mine? At idle my cars pretty quiet and definitely less 'boomy' on the motorway but it obviously doesnt cut everything out! Can still hear the PMS rattling :rolleyes:

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I've dumped some weight with the Pole positions and rear bench so dont mind adding some back in.
I think even if i were to put 20kg in (Which is WAY OTT) the benefits in comfort vs the detriment of weight would be worth it.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I've dumped some weight with the Pole positions and rear bench so dont mind adding some back in.
I think even if i were to put 20kg in (Which is WAY OTT) the benefits in comfort vs the detriment of weight would be worth it.
The weight aspect didn't even bother me really, the additional weight isnt enough to feel anything. Not like the car felt lighter with the seats changed IMHO

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I used some in my last f11 5 series estate. Had a f10 saloon before it and the road noise was next to nothing. After moving to the estate with the shitty foldy parcel shelf it was really quite bad, especially with 285 wide tyres on the back. Ebayed some dynamat and indiscriminately threw it everywhere behind the back seats and it made a huge difference.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
The weight aspect didn't even bother me really, the additional weight isnt enough to feel anything. Not like the car felt lighter with the seats changed IMHO
I agree, i think its a totally psychological thing. Unless you do a radical weight change or significant unsprung change, you wont notice it anyway.
Wheel weights i can feel, my seats i never did notice as you say.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I agree, i think its a totally psychological thing. Unless you do a radical weight change or significant unsprung change, you wont notice it anyway.
Wheel weights i can feel, my seats i never did notice as you say.
The amount of balancing weights to get those new wheels of yours running true makes them the same kgs as the 2118's anyway 👀

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Half way through doing my kangoo van

Used the dodomat bitumen/ foil sheets mainly. Makes a massive difference on the larger panels.

Also used a sticky backed foam sheet on the arches and some other areas to add a little extra. Not heavy at all.

A pack of 20 sheets is about £30 and a few kg so not something you’d notice or want to moan about id have thought

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I think my main resonance is the tailgate. I’ve tried many things over time to improve it, and each time I have managed to do so, sometimes it would last and other times it would return.
The rest of the car is pretty good to be fair and after having a proper listen last night on my way home from work, it’s not as bad is I’d thought in my mind.
Still some work to be done though. Especially for when the R888s go back on in the summer. Tyre noise is hateful but the grip is worth it. 😅

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
IMG_20181116_104349.jpg

This was around 20kg of silent coat sound deadening.. Managed to get it into the rear quarters and front doors also.. Would need much more to cover the whole car, I tried to get it on the flatter areas to reduce resonance as much as possible and make the 20kg go as far as possible

I then added a full layer of closed cell foam throughout the whole car before fitting everything back. The foam doesn't really weigh anything so went to town with that.. Only issue is the thickness so some of the trim can be awkward to get back in but it reduces trim vibrations at the same time which is a bonus.

Wouldn't say the difference was night and day, but certainly did reduce road and exhaust noise.. I think the bulkhead/bonnet would be a good area to reduce engine noise into the vehicle.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Looks good @robmuns.
what closed cell foam did you use?
I’m suprised to hear you say it’s not night & day, as I’d expect for that amount to see a significant reduction in cabin noise.

Can't remember the exact brand now but think it was 8mm stuff. I think alot of noise is still coming through from the engine bay as mine doesn't have the bonnet heat shield or the carpet on the bulkhead

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Okay so I've been talking to the chaps at deadening.co.uk and they have recommended similar to the above.
I explained i wanted to try and make a significant improvement in cabin NVH quality with the least additional weight as possible.
They went through various options of deadening and acoustic foam etc but I've settled on Dodo Hex mat 1.8mm which is the lightest panel deadening i can get and topping it with Dodo 6mm super liner to stop transient noise.
Looks like its going to be quite a time consuming job but we shall see how it goes. :)

Clio Sport
Deadening.co.uk recommended this to me...
Silent coat 2mm
Silent Coat Noise Isolator 10mm (light weight foam)
Dodo Barrier MLV
Fitted in that order.
The Dodo Barrier is heavy but I'd rather have less noise than gaining 0.100s round a track a few times a year..
If you go on a diet before the track day you'll get that time back..

For under the bonnet behind the Renault sound proofing.
Silent Coat Noise Buffler 30mm (cut into shapes to fit the bonnet)
I also adjusted the tailgate catch so there wasn't any gap,I would see daylight through mine..

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Deadening.co.uk recommended this to me...
Silent coat 2mm
Silent Coat Noise Isolator 10mm (light weight foam)
Dodo Barrier MLV
Fitted in that order.
The Dodo Barrier is heavy but I'd rather have less noise than gaining 0.100s round a track a few times a year..
If you go on a diet before the track day you'll get that time back..

For under the bonnet behind the Renault sound proofing.
Silent Coat Noise Buffler 30mm (cut into shapes to fit the bonnet)
I also adjusted the tailgate catch so there wasn't any gap,I would see daylight through mine..

We discussed the MLV too but decided to see how we get on with the above first. I think 90% of my noise is tailgate/back end from the exhaust anyway, plus tyres.
Engine noise is pretty good.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I just turn the radio up more! I'm certain you can massively improve the nvh of a mk2 Clio as they are renowned for being rattly French tins. Will be interesting to hear how you get on @frayz 👍.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I just turn the radio up more! I'm certain you can massively improve the nvh of a mk2 Clio as they are renowned for being rattly French tins. Will be interesting to hear how you get on @frayz 👍.

True,

Having said that, they're rattly French tin because they're 16 years old and were built for pennies. I think some significant improvement can be had for a little work without adding a heap of weight. 10-15kg of various materials back in it should make a decent enough change i hope. All cars are rattly tins before manufacturers fit various foams, mats and covers etc.
We'll see eh, heres hopeful :D

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's amazing the difference from one generation to the next. Light weight sound deadening you say 😮. My first renault 5 had about another Renault 5's weight in dynamat in it to stop the speakers rattling it apart😂.

Clio 197,with megan'
Having the swirl pot in the wheel well on the R26, means it was very, very noisy, so I used some self adhesive sticky pads. I removed the standard carpet, ( With the quite heavy wooden part.) and used a flat plastic tray that I found in the garage, glued carpet to it, to cover the wheel well, fitted some sound deadening, from wheel well to behind front seats, and around the roll cage, then covered with a KTEC mat. As will be going from N/E Scotland, to SPA in mid July 1200 miles, peace and quiet is very welcome. The whole lot weigh only a couple of KG more than the original one, well worth it.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I can't believe your going to destroy your car with all this extra weight - really odd decision on your part, going to totally ruin it all.

When you've done it all could you let us know what you used and your thoughts. I dead keen to do the same (y)

The sound deadening arrived on Saturday. However I'm still collecting parts so i can do all the sound deadening and some small audio upgrades in one hit.
Then its just getting the free time to do it all nicely :)

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
And do a proper write up, your thread has slowed down a bit..

I was thinking a spread sheet of all different options of sound deadening and the weights of them per square meter, dB drop per mm thickness etc.

A bit like your wheel search but then actually do a bit of homework? ;)