ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EH?. . . WHAT?... Sound deadening.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe drive down a road you always drive down with a dB meter (even one of the crappy apps on your phone), do a before and after would be great to ta šŸ˜˜

Might actually be slightly interesting to record various sections on the car, then go round tapping various panels... if you can be bothered the frequency should give you a lot of info about where you should place the insulation.

I agree with your ideas though, the thin boot lid, rear wing cavities, boot floor are likely to be big culprits. Perhaps behind the dash/bulkhead area too?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
And do a proper write up, your thread has slowed down a bit..

I was thinking a spread sheet of all different options of sound deadening and the weights of them per square meter, dB drop per mm thickness etc.

A bit like your wheel search but then actually do a bit of homework? ;)
Lmao, no chance. You must think im some sort of weirdo :D

Reactions: MLB

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe drive down a road you always drive down with a dB meter (even one of the crappy apps on your phone), do a before and after would be great to ta šŸ˜˜

Might actually be slightly interesting to record various sections on the car, then go round tapping various panels... if you can be bothered the frequency should give you a lot of info about where you should place the insulation.

I agree with your ideas though, the thin boot lid, rear wing cavities, boot floor are likely to be big culprits. Perhaps behind the dash/bulkhead area too?
I'm going to focus on the rear and work forward. I don't think there's a great deal in the front of the car that actually required deadening with loaded mass, just more noise suppression. The bits that vibrate are actually in the rear of the car, tailgate, boot floor, wheel arches etc. The rear is buzzing and panel vibration, the front is noise transfer from outside, such as tyres etc.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Average Clio owners age has certainly increased. I'm sure 10 years ago there were zero mentions of sound deadening on the forum :ROFLMAO:
For me its simple, the car was always built as a road car that i take to the track, not a track car i use on the road.
I do 300 miles in it a week, hence why it has a stereo and AC etc. There's nothing this side of Ā£20k id rather drive every day, so the little Clio is staying.
I just see no reason why you wouldn't want your car a nicer place to be.

Id much rather add a little weight to make every single journey a better place to be than shave off every single ounce to be the fastest at the traffic light GP.
There's plenty of places i can lose weight, and i'm at the top of that list :D

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Id much rather add a little weight to make every single journey a better place to be than shave off every single ounce to be the fastest at the traffic light GP.
Don't talk silly. I drove without my wooly hat on today and the lower COG had a noticeable effect in Tesco carparkšŸ¤£.
I'm sure you'll keep track of how much weight the sound deadening you use will add. Nobody will really care though! I have an very annoying squeak in my car so come spring ill be ripping the interior out to track the bugger down. May as well fluff up the panels while I'm at it.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
For me its simple, the car was always built as a road car that i take to the track, not a track car i use on the road.
I do 300 miles in it a week, hence why it has a stereo and AC etc. There's nothing this side of Ā£20k id rather drive every day, so the little Clio is staying.
I just see no reason why you wouldn't want your car a nicer place to be.

From someone in their 30's also daily driving a Clio I couldn't agree more - morons.

Is adding heated seat pads a step too far.... I think not.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I'd love to reduce the general road/wind noise in my Clio to make it a bit more pleasant on motorway journeys - I've been spoilt with years of doing it in the likes of my M3, S4, Disco 4, C Class etc.

With rear seats and parcel shelf fitted, I suspect the bulk of my noise comes from the front bulk head / floor and doors.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I'd love to reduce the general road/wind noise in my Clio to make it a bit more pleasant on motorway journeys - I've been spoilt with years of doing it in the likes of my M3, S4, Disco 4, C Class etc.

With rear seats and parcel shelf fitted, I suspect the bulk of my noise comes from the front bulk head / floor and doors.
I think it can be improved quite easily. Weā€™ll see.

I reckon that road noise gets through here into the cabin.

j.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Really interested in the difference it makes as I might do the same when my interior is coming out this summer.

Is that a double layer of different materials behind the rear door cards?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Really interested in the difference it makes as I might do the same when my interior is coming out this summer.

Is that a double layer of different materials behind the rear door cards?

Yep thatā€™s correct.
The whole lot will be at least double layered with 1 layer of 1.8mm Hex mat (50-75% coverage) then have at least one layer of 6mm super liner acoustic foam. The foam will be closer to 100% coverage. So far Iā€™ve used 2 full sheets of 2mm Stinger Road Block on the tailgate both sides of the inner panel and inside the plastic trim and the boot lid actually sounds decent to close now.

The rear quarter panels have 3 sheets of Hex in and are the only parts to receive the second layer with foam so far. Iā€™ve also done all around the arches between the panels too.
The acoustic foam is the stickiest stuff known to man but it weighs next to nothing. So Iā€™m going to see how I go but will more than likely add multiple layers off that in the doors too.

The mass loaded stuff stops the buzzing but itā€™s the layers of foam that really cut the noise down.

Itā€™s amazing how much difference itā€™s made already just knocking on the panels and Iā€™ve not even started on the floor yet.

For info, the stuff Iā€™m using is totalling 12kg for 30 sheets not including the foam. 30 sheets should just do the whole car not inc roof an is about 2.5sqm. Then I have 6.5sqm of foam to go in but may add more.

Last edited:
I'm about to do this on another car of mine, where all the tar pads had broken up and the underlay was jute felt. Can you tell me how rip/crush resistant the foam is? Thanks

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Yep thatā€™s correct.
The whole lot will be at least double layered with 1 layer of 1.8mm Hex mat (50-75% coverage) then have at least one layer of 6mm super liner acoustic foam. The foam will be closer to 100% coverage. So far Iā€™ve used 2 full sheets of 2mm Stinger Road Block on the tailgate both sides of the inner panel and inside the plastic trim and the boot lid actually sounds decent to close now.

The rear quarter panels have 3 sheets of Hex in and are the only parts to receive the second layer with foam so far. Iā€™ve also done all around the arches between the panels too.
The acoustic foam is the stickiest stuff known to man but it weighs next to nothing. So Iā€™m going to see how I go but will more than likely add multiple layers off that in the doors too.

The mass loaded stuff stops the buzzing but itā€™s the layers of foam that really cut the noise down.

Itā€™s amazing how much difference itā€™s made already just knocking on the panels and Iā€™ve not even started on the floor yet.

For info, the stuff Iā€™m using is totalling 12kg for 30 sheets not including the foam. 30 sheets should just do the whole car not inc roof an is about 2.5sqm. Then I have 6.5sqm of foam to go in but may add more.

Did you weigh the 12kg yourself? As the dodomat 30 sheet pack I was looking at weighs in at 7.5 kg according to their website?

Not too bad a price either if the difference is so big.

I hadn't thought of the foam liner, but I have to admit I like the added benefit of thermal insulation.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Did you weigh the 12kg yourself? As the dodomat 30 sheet pack I was looking at weighs in at 7.5 kg according to their website?

Not too bad a price either if the difference is so big.

I hadn't thought of the foam liner, but I have to admit I like the added benefit of thermal insulation.
I didnā€™t, I just had it in my head it was 12kg.
I looked at so many products, the 12kg must have been another. Iā€™ll accurately weigh a sheet tomorrow and multiply by 30 and let you know.

Thermal insulation isnā€™t something you really think about in a car but it makes a huge difference. Iā€™m surprised itā€™s taken me this long to investigate and dabble in it really.

Price wise, Iā€™m Ā£114 in so far on materials.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I always find I need to crank the temperature up to 24 when it's cold outside and then gradually reduce it to 20-21 after half an hour of driving.

But that was before I had the ac refitted and not really driven it since so not sure how big a difference that makes.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I always find I need to crank the temperature up to 24 when it's cold outside and then gradually reduce it to 20-21 after half an hour of driving.

But that was before I had the ac refitted and not really driven it since so not sure how big a difference that makes.
Same - except I start off at 23 and work down to 19 because I'm not a woman.... I think it must be a Clio quirk.

PS - when its driven by an actual woman not only does it return with the fuel light on but the climate is set to 28 min - assuming she starts out at max and works down to 28.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I'm about to do this on another car of mine, where all the tar pads had broken up and the underlay was jute felt. Can you tell me how rip/crush resistant the foam is? Thanks
They do foam liner with a reinforced foil top layer. This is what Iā€™d be using in your application as itā€™s much more hardy than what Iā€™m using here.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
First impressions:

I've driven the car to work today still in its semi-stripped state, just the boot carpet has been put back in.
Bare in mind I've only so far done the tailgate, back panel, arches and rear qtrs with mass loaded sheet and the rear qtrs and tubs have been foam lined. Already the car feels noticeably more solid inside. Reduced road noise and hum.
However, one of the catalysts for this exercise is i have had a buzzing from the rear of the car that i have been convinced was the tailgate. I've tried all sorts to shut the trim up which i suspected was the culprit. At approx. 3krpm i get a buzz from the rear of the car and since adding the deadening, it almost seems like its more pronounced as the rest of the cars ambient noise is less.
As i was parking up this morning the buzz was significant, as its still dark when i arrive at work i could see a flickering of light in through the back panel of the car.
With the rear trim not in place i can see the cabin vents vibrating and causing this buzz that ive been chasing for over a year!! b******s!!
So I'll be adding some mass loaded material to those to stop any movement but still allow them to function.

First impressions of the rest has certainly made me eager to progress the project and make the car a significantly nicer environment to spend time in.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
First impressions:

I've driven the car to work today still in its semi-stripped state, just the boot carpet has been put back in.
Bare in mind I've only so far done the tailgate, back panel, arches and rear qtrs with mass loaded sheet and the rear qtrs and tubs have been foam lined. Already the car feels noticeably more solid inside. Reduced road noise and hum.
However, one of the catalysts for this exercise is i have had a buzzing from the rear of the car that i have been convinced was the tailgate. I've tried all sorts to shut the trim up which i suspected was the culprit. At approx. 3krpm i get a buzz from the rear of the car and since adding the deadening, it almost seems like its more pronounced as the rest of the cars ambient noise is less.
As i was parking up this morning the buzz was significant, as its still dark when i arrive at work i could see a flickering of light in through the back panel of the car.
With the rear trim not in place i can see the cabin vents vibrating and causing this buzz that ive been chasing for over a year!! b******s!!
So I'll be adding some mass loaded material to those to stop any movement but still allow them to function.

First impressions of the rest has certainly made me eager to progress the project and make the car a significantly nicer environment to spend time in.

You can get quite thin adhesive backed foam tape, wonder if you could go round the flap with some of that?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
You can get quite thin adhesive backed foam tape, wonder if you could go round the flap with some of that?

It needs to be able to open and close Rob, so taping it shut is not an option. I just need to stop them vibrating.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
It needs to be able to open and close Rob, so taping it shut is not an option. I just need to stop them vibrating.

Lol, no I meant use the foam tape around the perimeter of the flap, or the opening so when it closes it has a soft landing but still seals.

Not sure what the flap is made out of, on previous cars (the ones I've stripped down enough to see anyway) the flap has been thin plastic, I think my old E36 even had a plastic flap with foam around the edge too!

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, no I meant use the foam tape around the perimeter of the flap, or the opening so when it closes it has a soft landing but still seals.

Not sure what the flap is made out of, on previous cars (the ones I've stripped down enough to see anyway) the flap has been thin plastic, I think my old E36 even had a plastic flap with foam around the edge too!

Usually plastic or rubber. I'll have a look later when I'm home and see what can be done. It should be an easy fix, just annoyed I've not found it before.

Clio 197,with megan'
Having the swirl pot in the wheel well on the R26, means it was very, very noisy, so I used some self adhesive sticky pads. I removed the standard carpet, ( With the quite heavy wooden part.) and used a flat plastic tray that I found in the garage, glued carpet to it, to cover the wheel well, fitted some sound deadening, from wheel well to behind front seats, and around the roll cage, then covered with a KTEC mat. As will be going from N/E Scotland, to SPA in mid July 1200 miles, peace and quiet is very welcome. The whole lot weigh only a couple of KG more than the original one, well worth it.
If weight is a problem for some people, remove the Recaro, fit some buckets. I never liked the Recaros, and am far more comfortable in a bucket seat..

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Got another hour on it tonight so did a bit more. I need to remove the rear bumper to modify the cabin vents. So that will happen another day. Carried on with the boot floor and also started playing with placement of the 35mm acoustic trap foam tiles. Managed to acquire a few of these and I think they will also help the sound from the rear speakers. Theyā€™re not fixed yet as I may not fit the tile below the rubbing strip as I do not want the chance of it holding moisture. So that lower tile I may fix to the back of the doorcard directly.

C3823FBF-2F9F-4703-8818-85783480BE96.jpeg
507CF69B-BC46-487B-B4B2-E359EDF290A3.jpeg
8DF67306-71F8-4CDB-B4FB-CF663881D553.jpeg

Clio Sport
Got another hour on it tonight so did a bit more. I need to remove the rear bumper to modify the cabin vents. So that will happen another day. Carried on with the boot floor and also started playing with placement of the 35mm acoustic trap foam tiles. Managed to acquire a few of these and I think they will also help the sound from the rear speakers. Theyā€™re not fixed yet as I may not fit the tile below the rubbing strip as I do not want the chance of it holding moisture. So that lower tile I may fix to the back of the doorcard directly.

View attachment 1523642View attachment 1523643View attachment 1523644
If you are stopping the sound from outside they're the wrong way round..šŸ˜‚

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
If you are stopping the sound from outside they're the wrong way round..šŸ˜‚
I read yesterday for some time regarding orientation and sound direction. I just wanted to see if they made any difference. Hence why i said they're wedged in and not fixed just yet. They actually work both ways but are more efficient facing the direction of sound you're wishing to diffuse.
Plus they look cool this way for now :D

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I just completely sound deadened my car, upgraded the audio 1000% and fixed all the rattles - well recommended:

Similar price and the installation was must easier.
Buy a blindfold and you dont need to clean it inside either!