ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eibach sportline owners

172 Cup
Anyone find eibach sportlines (the pink ones, lower of the two eibach springs) harsh around town?

Mine seem to find every bump and imperfection in the tarmac.

Turn in is also slower, with lots less feel in corners as to where the car is.

Thought they were meant to be an improvement over standard!

BMW M5 & E36
Can't comment on Cup handling as mine are on a measly 1.4, but theyre better all round for me. Low speed driving barely seems any different to me, and a friend commented on that too. Handling is better all round when pushed too.

172 Cup
Have had coilovers on racing springs too, and these dont seem much softer than the coils for town driving!

Wanted a good mix of comfort and performance, i think standard it is...

172 Cup
Correct springs and fitted correctly, and shocks have been off the car and are fine and not leaking.

Are they not meant to be much harder than standard then? Or is something else wrong?

Might refit standard springs in the morning i think, at least then i'll be able to take that out of the equation.

I changed mine in my 182 ride quality isnt as good as standard springs but then i expected that. Handling is much improved over standard suspension my only worry is the splitter sits low to the ground now

mine is sound (182 ff) my wheels are 17" so dont know if that makes a difference the ride is a little firmer but not uncomfortable and it corners quite a lot flatter:)

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
After fitting pro's on my cup i noticed an improvement mainly a lot less roll. Thought sports would not be to different :S

Clio 197
Sportlines were awesome for my 182.

Cups are slightly different (in the mm they're lowered, mainly due to their weight) IIRC - I'm basing this on a conversation I had with someone from Demon Tweeks.

If you alter the suspension, it may have an effect on turn-in as you say. I believe this can be sorted out by altering the geometry slightly - toe/camber etc.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
cant say i have a problem with my sportlines! the car came on some nasty pi springs. to be fair its a lot more controlable now although i expect standard would be more comfy. does seem to hunt out pot holes but from my experience every lowered car seems to behave like this. cant argue with the handling though..... love it in comparisome.
next up 5 nice new tyres from my jan pay day!!!!

LY V6 with Recaros
I find the steering more sharper with sportlines on. It's a bit of a hard ride, but not really much more than it was on just the cup suspension. I've definitely found them an improvement though over standard.

172 Cup
Right...

Springs were new. Geometry etc was set-up by mark fish when the sportlines went on.

Just been for a cross-country blat on standard sus, so much better than the sportlines! Grips better in corners, turn in is sharper, and doesnt scatter over broken road surfaces.

To me the sportlines seem a bit of a pointless mod :S

Elise S1 B&C 140
mine are a vast improvrment, Handling is 100% better with more stability and less roll in the corners, comfort is slightly compromised but i wouldnt say it was harsh or bumpy.

More than happy with mine, the best mod ive done, (but it is also the first mod ive done) :eek:

Lol, how is a lower firmer spring going to give a better ride?

it gives a firmer ride, reduces body roll, feels more planted, more stable, the only thing which isnt better is ride quality, as a result of being lower and firmer ride isnt as smooth, small compromise for much improved handling imo. It would appear there was something wrong with the springs you had fitted and personally I would be on the phone to Eibach to find out what was wrong and what they intended to do about it!

You need to change more than just springs to improve the handling.

Try something a little more meaty perhaps?

Last edited:
Lol, nothing wrong with my springs, were new from eibach.

So have you tried both springs on a 172?

Yes I have driven both and found with the eibachs on it was much better. You seem to ave missed my point about there being something wrong with the spring. IMO there is something intrinsically wrong with the spring as you have found it to be so apalling. If it was me and I had just shelled out a few hundred notes in buying the springs and having the car set up I would be on the phone to eibach to tell them about this and find out what they would do for me. You might find they have had a dodgy batch of springs or something and that they will compensate you, or they may just refund you as you are unhappy with the product.