ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine building, timing, upgrades etc

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
@colesy just come across the thread.

Going down a very similar route but with 197 cams. Hoping to get booked into efi at some point this year so will be good to compare the group n vs 197 cams (vague I know)

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
@colesy just come across the thread.

Going down a very similar route but with 197 cams. Hoping to get booked into efi at some point this year so will be good to compare the group n vs 197 cams (vague I know)

Ah cool, that would be interesting to compare. I don’t think the numbers will be to dissimilar but the way it makes them I think would be different.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Im looking at the following:

197 cams
matched inlets
ktec/ram air induction
EPAS and no aircon
Arp rod bolts
182 manifold

Think thats it from memory!

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Im looking at the following:

197 cams
matched inlets
ktec/ram air induction
EPAS and no aircon
Arp rod bolts
182 manifold

Think thats it from memory!
Apart from the 182 mani that's the same as my mods.. Mapped at Efi last month just before Chris shut up shop...
e43f71b3776be80ee19d05996218f91d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Now I’ve got it back together I’m now thinking that I should’ve done an EPAS conversion at the same time. Is it hard to do? I’ve not done any research into it

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Now I’ve got it back together I’m now thinking that I should’ve done an EPAS conversion at the same time. Is it hard to do? I’ve not done any research into it
It would have been easier when the engine was out but still its not hard... It was easier for me as I had access to a 2 post ramp and I just dropped my subframe and changed the rack over on the floor.. the interior part changing the column is a piss easy as was the wiring to it... removing all the old hpas hoses were a bit of a pain though if you want to keep them intact..

Its the mess of the hpas fluid that was the worst part for me, although had a bit of a time doing the wiring but It was my first time doing such job, had a couple problems prop up which @1985michael182 helped with

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Its the mess of the hpas fluid that was the worst part for me, although had a bit of a time doing the wiring but It was my first time doing such job, had a couple problems prop up which @1985michael182 helped with
Yea I read you were having issues with using an existing main power feed. Mines a Cup and I dont think that main feed is in mine so I had a quick look couldn't find one so I just ran an 8 gauge power cable straight to my internal bulkhead power supply from my battery relocation wiring..All the rest of the wiring was a doddle..I think I spent 1/2 hr tops and it was done..

Yea I read you were having issues with using an existing main power feed. Mines a Cup and I dont think that main feed is in mine so I had a quick look couldn't find one so I just ran an 8 gauge power cable straight to my internal bulkhead power supply from my battery relocation wiring..All the rest of the wiring was a doddle..I think I spent 1/2 hr tops and it was done..

I had to buy a nonsport loom which had the correct gauge wire that goes under the skuttle to the relays, worked out perfect.

I have a cup interior loom and both power and earths are in there btw

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I had to buy a nonsport loom which had the correct gauge wire that goes under the skuttle to the relays, worked out perfect.

I have a cup interior loom and both power and earths are in there btw
Lol.. TBF. I spent all of 2 mins looking, thought F**k it and #becausefrenchwiring, thought its better to run new thicker cabling anyway..

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Another good reason for Epas is the reduced weight and less strain on the engine with a reduced rotating mass.
Only need the alternator on the auxiliary belt, well water pump aswell but that goes without saying.

20190710_204023.jpg

Losing the aircon pump and hpas is a huge saving In weight with all the gubbins that goes with it. Less to maintain and more room in the bay.

Can drop the sub frame in a fraction of the time aswell with out all the pipes to contend with.

20190310_151240.jpg

My plan was do it once do it right then I dont need to bugger around anymore just nut and bolt checks with usual maintenance.

Yeah that was my plan to do it right as well, for some reason my subframe is on the floor after rebuilding the rack and putting the rack back in with the subframe in situ, only to find out that in fact the rack bushes are shot after thinking it was just because one of the bolts came loose. Powerflex ones btw

My clio is cursed and its problems unique to any other clio. Low mileage silver 182s from dodgy dealers basically just sell your soul instead youll have less stress in life

2 racks failed, driveshaft snapped mid corner, abs pumps being c***s, bolts holding the rear hubs on snapping.

These are renault numptys at fault!

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Genuine shaft?
ABS you dont need that's your own fault
As for racks, youve pulled them to bits, I would have left them well alone. If it ain't broke dont fix it.
You are the first person I've heard of bolts snapping aswell

Yeah was the original one on from factory.
Yeah abs is my fault I should of left it alone but I at least I now know how to make brake lines now.
Unfortunately the hydraulic quick rack failed, the car was perfect before this started. Recent rack problem I think is just bad luck.
I know the stub axles can bend quite bad.. I think its just a good excuse to buy more parts and make things better in the process.

When it was corner weighted I remember being amazed at how easy it was to drive, was comical the amount of grip it had. It will get there again, very soon!

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I’m thinking out loud here, so I’ve had the group n done but for obvious reasons I can’t get it mapped. Would I be mental to buy another key/uch/ecu that’s been mapped on an engine that’s had group n just to allow me to drive the car and make sure the engine is all okay?
since I rebuilt It I still havent driven far through fear of melting a piston or something stupid. I just don’t want to get up Chester when allowed and find it goes bang or something on the dyno lol

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Yeah I think I’m just getting impatient to get it done. I’ve got a trailer now so don’t have to drive it there which is a good thing

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Can I ask, is the Group N timing tool still readily available at all? Not after one just yet but I will be in the future.