ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine conversion

which engine would be best to fit to a clio for performance and reliability

i think all the engines that can be fitted are

1.4 8v, 1.8 8v, 1.8 16v, 2.0 16v, 1.4 GTT, 1.6 8v Megane, Volvo 1.7 Turbo, 1.6 16v!

when fitting engines like the volvo 1.7 turbo,1.6 16v and 1.4 gtt what transmission and driveshafts are used?and what other work is required eg how do you wire in the new speedo etc

unfortunatly i cant use companies like torsion tuning as i live in northern ireland!if anyone knows of a link to a tutorial or is willing to write a tutorial on how to fit any of the above engines it would be greatly appreciated!even if i cant do the coversion it would help the person i would get to do it if they had a rough guide!thanks stephen

if u put a 16v, williams or 5 GTT enigne in then ur best bet is to use there gearboxes meaning u need there drive shafts and brake setup!

as for the speedo the speedo will run off the gearbox so for a correct reading u will need to use the engines original gearbox and dials!

as for the 1.4 and 1.8 8v u should be alright with the original gearbox and dials etc jus stick the engine in!

as for the tutorial good luck finding someone to write it out!

are the driveshafts for the gtt the right length or do they need shortened or lengthened?

do i need to get new engine mounts made ?

i didnt really think anyone would write a tutorial but sure its worth a try!

i think ill change the gear box as i have a 4speed gear box:(

i suggest u do!

if u use the 5GTT gearbox u will need the GTT driveshafts which will fit straight on nno adjustment!

u use the original engine mounts that come from the engine for a GTT

jus think of how much work need sot go into it

I heard that the R5 GTT driveshafts are too short, and on full lock pop out? People use 16v ones I think..

could someone confirm what driveshafts you need to use?

essex lad the reason im askin so much about the conversion is to try see what all is involved and see if i could manage it between me and a few freinds or if i should get someone else to fit it!at the end of the day the conversion should be worth it:)

is there any parts need relocated on the new engine etc!

anyone that nos anything they think would be useful for me to know please post it here:)

Titanium 182

if i were u mate, id sell your clio

and get a valver

probably tghe most relibable lump bar the williams but they cost alot

im not saying the others arnt reliable but the 16v engine is cheap as goes well with almost 140bhp std

and buying a valver means ul have all other features and no hastle bar normal wear and tear as that engine was meant to be in that car

how hard is it to fit a 1.6 16v engine go in mk1 clios? its a newer engine and might be more reliable than the gtt!i dont no what engine to go for:(

Smoore, the way things are going i may have a 1.8 engine for sale soon, PM if your seriously interested as its waiting to be picked up.

engine conversion is off:(

was coming home from work on tuesday!was doing 45 before i came to a corner as i know the road i was on is very slippery and the rain wasnt helping matters!i slowed for the corner!then when i was just about round it the back end went out!i steered into it and as it was coming back round the passengers side wheel went up on the hedge,rolled the car onto her roof!went 3-4 car lengths down the road on its roof!ended up on the wrong side of the road facing the opposite way i came from:(

i have another clio but the bodywork needs alot of tlc!ill probably drive it a year until the mot is up on it then try find another car(probably not another clio) dont no what ill go for but itll have to be group 5 or below because insurance is so high in northern ireland!