ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine/Gearbox mounts - (clio 172 2002)

Clio 172
Hello

When backing off the accelerator it is clear there is quite a bit of engine movement. However you can't hear any horrid knocking noise (yet).

I took it into a garage today for an inspection as I though this is getting worse over time and the best they could manage was 'seems ok' and 'they haven't perished'.

Assuming they are wearing away - is the top engine mount probably the best place to start?

Also... It may not be relevant but I have been through a few exhaust silencers in the last year, caused by a whole appearing where the bracket is welded to the side of the box. It did cross my mind that a large amount of movement from the engine could be a part of the problem.

Thanks,

Dan

2003 Clio 172
Dogbone first IMO mate...............but saying that. It didnt solve shite for me....

J

RB FF 182
Mine had excessive movement but not knocking, I bit the bullet and got powerflex dogbone and new upper gearbox, and upper engine mounts. It's made a huge difference having them all renewed at once. Feels SO much better to drive!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Fitting the powerflex/K-Tec engine mounts a big job?

I have the dogbone bushes to go on soon, or best doing all together?

RB FF 182
I wouldn't go with uprated engine mounts...

I'd go for standard upper gearbox mount, and standard upper engine mount with uprated dogbone.

It isn't a massive job and there is a guide on here, although I just could not get any of the bolts undone, had to get it done at a garage in the end!

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'd be getting 1 of 2 grease monkey mates to help me with a pit or a lift anyhow - one is an old rally mechanic and the other used to do the TT lol

We also have Clio-God over here roaming around Belfast in the 5dr 182 :)

Clio 172
Mine had excessive movement but not knocking, I bit the bullet and got powerflex dogbone and new upper gearbox, and upper engine mounts. It's made a huge difference having them all renewed at once. Feels SO much better to drive!

Did you use the standard dogbone with powerflex bushes?

RB FF 182
I reckon I could have gotten them undone with a breaker bar but I didn't wanna shear anything... so that's up to you!! lol

Yeah you just take the old bushes out of the dogbone (I've heard the easiest way is to burn them out!)

The uprated bushes in the dogbone make the car vibrate quite a bit at idle, but I kinda like it, feels competition like. Besides, it settles down after a bit of use.

Clio 172
Going to take your advice Mister_G. Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again

2003 Clio 172
I just beat the shite out of the rubber in the dogbone with a BIG hammer and it came out.

I guess thats down to exactly how worn it is.

J

RB FF 182
There's a guide in the guides section I think.

Basically make sure you support the engine with a jack and then undo and replace. Although as stated above I gave up and took mine to a garage.

The guy selling that mount in eBay is a member on here but can't remember his profile name.

Clio 172
Thought I'd bring this thread to a close and explain what I did.

I started by purchasing:
x1 standard OEM upper engine mount from Ebay
x1 standard OEM upper gearbox mount form Ebay
x1 power-flex bush kit for the dogbone from ... Ebay (not sure how I'd get by without it, lols).

I fitted the upper engine mount first. This is a 30-60 min job depending how handy you are with tools.

I'd read a few posts about the dogbone and was very concerned but I decided I would give it a go anyway.
Big thanks to Dave's tutorial. - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...one-Mount-Fitting&highlight=powerflex+dogbone
I took it off without any trouble but the mounts were a little harder to get out. I used the 'hammer' method and it seems to work fairly well. Placing the dogbone over a couple of pieces of wood and hitting with a hammer, took less than 10 mins to remove both mounts.
The news ones went in fairly easy. They can be pushed in by hand. I'd say this is an hour to two job. If your good with tools maybe you could do it in a lot less.

I never went on to do the final mount because I haven't really had the time.

The result from the two mounts is VERY VERY noticeable!! I would recommend power-flex to anyone. The car does vibrate like a race car but only on idle. By 1000rpm the vibrating stops and it's SO MUCH BETTER to drive.
If your on the fence whether to do buy power-flex or not... it is worth it.

Dan