ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine knock/rattle NOT DEPHASER

F4r'd Clio 1.2 16V
Hello

the car has developed a strange tap/knock/rattle when on/offing the the throttle, I looked on youtube and the closest thing to what mine sounds like is this video

http://youtu.be/3nrhsjsM2_0

It's not the dephaser as that has very recently been changed it sounds like a heat shield rattle but worse and on idle it does not do it, likewise when you hold the revs.

jack

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
The ticking at idle is probably just the valves. It's much more prominant with the RS2.

I'm not qualified to judge the grinding noise when revving though.

172 Cup
If it's knocking when you apply thottle (thus applying a change in torque), then could it be engine mount related? Have you checked the mounts recently?

F4r'd Clio 1.2 16V
I appreciate the replys, the thing is I had the dephaser changed as this was the last problem I had, the noise doesn't get worse when it's hot like when the dephaser is going, it does it when cold and hot and is fine on tick over, could it be to do with my lifters? Seeing as the engine has been in the garage for the last 6 months or so?

​jack

Lionel Richie
Lifters never fail on these, who did the dephaser? and are you 100% sure they actually changed it? (daft question but hey!)

Lionel Richie
Edit, just watched the video again, the "off and on" bit, 1000000% dephaser, take it back to whoever did the work, new parts have 12months warranty