ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine makes rattling/tapping noise

Clio 2.0 Sport 172
Hi guys,
So i just bought myself a clio 172 2002. On first inspection it sounded smooth, bodywork is mint and got at a great price '£900'. Having ran it a few days, when the engine warms up it sounds like a tractor. You can hear it in the car and stood next to it. This only happens under 2500 rpm. But when it cools down, no noise on start!

Now ive seen plenty of threads about dephaser pulleys so i reckon thats the culprit. But im hoping theres other problems that may cause the noise. It is coming from what seems to be within the block itself, but could be alongside where the cambelt etc is sitting. Hard to tell as its so loud generally!
Id appreciate some sound advice, as my mrs was dead against this car when i bought it and want to get it sorted before it affects anything else!!
Im in between derby and notts and if anyone can point me in the right direction id really appreciate it.

IMG-20110203-00005.jpg

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Hi guys,
So i just bought myself a clio 172 2002. On first inspection it sounded smooth, bodywork is mint and got at a great price '£900'. Having ran it a few days, when the engine warms up it sounds like a tractor. You can hear it in the car and stood next to it. This only happens under 2500 rpm. But when it cools down, no noise on start!

Now ive seen plenty of threads about dephaser pulleys so i reckon thats the culprit. But im hoping theres other problems that may cause the noise. It is coming from what seems to be within the block itself, but could be alongside where the cambelt etc is sitting. Hard to tell as its so loud generally!
Id appreciate some sound advice, as my mrs was dead against this car when i bought it and want to get it sorted before it affects anything else!!
Im in between derby and notts and if anyone can point me in the right direction id really appreciate it.
Its your dephaser mate. Luckily for you diamond motors is on your doorstep. £5-600

Clio 2.0 Sport 172
I'd put money on the dephaser! Makes them sound like a diesel!
Problem ive got is ive just spent most of my dough on the car! Is it something that i should take the car off the road for? Or can i run it till next months pay day? Like i said you can hear it clearly when youre stood next to the car..

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Problem ive got is ive just spent most of my dough on the car! Is it something that i should take the car off the road for? Or can i run it till next months pay day? Like i said you can hear it clearly when youre stood next to the car..
I ran mine with a rattling dephaser for a good 12 months . I took it to Mick at Diamond motors , lucky that I did actually , because the water pump was on It's way out too . So the answer to your question is yes , if it is the dephaser , which is highly likely from the description of it sounding like a tractor you'll be ok until next pay day .

BG Clio 182
It's 100000 percent the dephaser. Cannot possibly be anything else. Do the water pump and obviously coolant too at the same time. Not worth leaving it out tbh

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Clio 2.0 Sport 172
Just to update. Had the dephaser, cam and water pump done and noise has gone. The cam timing was also out and was causing some crazy acceleration too. Felt like a diesel till 5000rpm then shot off like a rocket. Got a nice accel curve peaking at 5000 now. And its gave me an extra 10mpg.

I know so people say it can run forever after it starts knocking, but seriously guys its money well spent. No more embarrassing looks when i have to stop at lights are anything now!!