ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Management (Basic Questions - Sorry!)

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Hi. If considering a 172 engine upgrade with cams and ITBs I'm aware that a standalone / aftermarket ECU is needed...

My questions:

* Does the OEM ECU stay, and Omex (or whatever) work 'alongside' to do just engine stuff?

* If Omex, is an Omex 600 the right kind of thing to be looking at?

* Can other brands (like Megasquirt etc) that seem to be typically used for other marques (Ford, Vauxhall etc etc) be used?

I understand that extra stuff is required (custom engine loom etc).

All hardware will be 'professionally' installed (by mechanics, not a 'tuner') then the car taken to an appropriate willing 'expert' to be properly set up, mapped etc.

Am I working along the right lines?? :S

Thanks for help!

(Apologies if my questions appear v basic, I did do multiple searches before posting a thread! :eek:)

ITB'd MK1
OEM ecu stays to run the dash.

the 600 is what we (GDI) fit to clios and supply with ITB kits.

As far as what brand of ECU to choose, I'll try to be impartial (as an employee of an Omex dealer). Which ECU you should use comes down to who is going to map it and what they are happiest with. This will get you the best results. Forcing an unfamiliar system on a mapper will just cause frustration, and delays. Then there's the legality consideration. Only omex and Motec are E-marked to date

Thanks Danny... :star:

It's an Omex 600 that I've been offered / am considering...

So, assuming I have the hardware bolted on and an appropriate custom loom made up and installed, I could bring the car to your employer (or another tuner who is happy working with Omex units) and it could be mapped up and sorted??

And, retaining the OEM ECU will mean I still have central locking, alarm / immobiliser, rev counter etc??

I know I'm over-simplifying and it's not as easy as bish-bash-bosh but just wanted to clarify that I'm barking up the right tree...

Cheers, Baggers.

ITB'd MK1
yeah you're not far off, that's pretty much the general idea.

Give us a call about the loom, we have a very easy solution for exactly what you want :)

Cool, thanks!

Is your solution in keeping with my 'much cheapness' approach to upgrades? :eek: I know you hate customers working to stupid budgets, but the only thing I want to pay top dollar for is the final mapping & setting up... ;)

Yeah, fair point...! I'll give you guys a call over the next few days... Many thanks for your help so far! :star:

M

mini-valver

check out www.vems.com too Paul. Its cheaper than the OMEX but isnt E marked as Danny says. Personally I dont think its a problem as you'll declare an aftermarket ECU to insurance, not make model etc.

Thanks Dave... I'm looking to pick up a used or 'as new' ECU, so I'm open to all brands... Emerald (suggested with others by Fred in different posts) seems to be an option...

M

mini-valver

There was an ecu for sale on here not long ago. Dont be limited to buying one thats off a Clio only though. You could pick one up from Ebay from any car if its cheap enough and buy the loom new from OMEX direct....