ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mount question.

I have just changed the driver's side engine mount on my PH2 172 cup from a vibertec mount (photo attached), to a standard mount with a yellow power flex insert. To do this I supported the engine on a jack removed the old mount and offered up the new mount. However, I found that the engine was sitting much lower on the old mount 20-30mm and so I have to jack the engine up to get the mount bolted back on. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? For information, the gearbox mount is also a vibertec unit.

Thanks all

Attachments

• Q5sQq7dOSV6Gdtr7sAPQnw.jpg
    Q5sQq7dOSV6Gdtr7sAPQnw.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 88
  PH2 172
I have just changed the driver's side engine mount on my PH2 172 cup from a vibertec mount (photo attached), to a standard mount with a yellow power flex insert. To do this I supported the engine on a jack removed the old mount and offered up the new mount. However, I found that the engine was sitting much lower on the old mount 20-30mm and so I have to jack the engine up to get the mount bolted back on. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? For information, the gearbox mount is also a vibertec unit.

Thanks all

The old mount was installed the wrong way up?

The old mount was installed the wrong way up?
I don't think it was installed upside down, as the nut was threaded onto the vertical bolt shown in the picture. This is how the mount is sitting at the moment - am I missing something? I cant see any way of getting it lower.

Attachments

• 42DUZH8bSJaiKLTT0my6+w.jpg
    42DUZH8bSJaiKLTT0my6+w.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 89
  • q2RZ6aEeRxCgMm16Yg%GLA.jpg
    q2RZ6aEeRxCgMm16Yg%GLA.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 87
  • q1uHU+78QbyV5Arz0pYKCA.jpg
    q1uHU+78QbyV5Arz0pYKCA.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 4%XrOfCMTMy4GgGeVkFMcQ.jpg
    4%XrOfCMTMy4GgGeVkFMcQ.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 7BtOaQOjSD69lhDFOdSQfA.jpg
    7BtOaQOjSD69lhDFOdSQfA.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 77
  • t22Hr847RP+hBwPgHKcH6w.jpg
    t22Hr847RP+hBwPgHKcH6w.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 90
  PH2 172
I don't think it was installed upside down, as the nut was threaded onto the vertical bolt shown in the picture. This is how the mount is sitting at the moment - am I missing something? I cant see any way of getting it lower.

You have omitted the plate, though that is not relevant to the height question.
POWERFLEX INSERT.jpg

If the Vibratech mount was installed as per your picture, it was upside down.

Thanks Steve,

Yes, the mount was installed as shown in the picture (not by myself I hasten to add, must have been the former owner or who rebuilt the engine).

Hopefully it hasn't done stress damage to any of the other mounts etc.

I'll get the other plate installed as well, that should reduce the movement. The only reason I was replacing the vibratec one is due to the vibration, which was probably caused by the mount being fitted upsidedown....FFS!

PH2 172
Thanks Steve,

Yes, the mount was installed as shown in the picture (not by myself I hasten to add, must have been the former owner or who rebuilt the engine).

I'll get the other plate installed as well, that should reduce the movement. The only reason I was replacing the vibratec one is due to the vibration, which was probably caused by the mount being fitted upsidedown....FFS!

You could reinstall the vibratec the right way up, but don't run the Powerflex with plate missing, this will happen.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/power-flex-bush-split.817011/#post-11582736

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
My picture is prooving quite useful lol
The benefit of the Powerflex yellow is you can potentially remove it between trackdays to soften the harshness of the mounts. Dont try that with the black mount though as theres so little flex they are an absolute bugger to take out.

Thanks Steve,

So I've been looking at this again today, and can't work out how the vibractec mount is upside down. It looks exactly the same as the pictures from their website.
Can anyone elaborate?

However, I found that the engine was sitting much lower on the old mount 20-30mm and so I have to jack the engine up to get the mount bolted back on. Is this normal or have I done something wrong?
That's normal vibra technics makes the engine sit lower although not sure its 20-30mm?
1525637533875.png
1525637830780.png

PH2 172
So I've been looking at this again today, and can't work out how the vibractec mount is upside down. It looks exactly the same as the pictures from their website.
Can anyone elaborate?

You & I have been a pair of numpties over this, which give someone a chuckle.

What you have done is correctly supported the engine on a jack & then removed the 4 bolts from the casting covering the cambelt.
No longer anchored to the engine, the front of the car has risen on the suspension springs, so when you went to fit the new mount, it gave the impression that the engine must have been lower on the original mount.

If you had been fitting like for like, you would have probably worked it out.

For my part, I accepted what you said, looked at the Vibratech mount and thought if you flip it, it will sit higher.

It`s up to you to choose to refit the Vibratech, the standard mount with the powerflex insert or just the standard mount.

The first two will give some increased vibration on tickover, but the payback will be improved gearchanges and reduced lateral movement which can bind the driveshafts when you are up on 3 wheels.

The Vibratech was installed correctly in the 1st place.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Can someone point me towards replacement standard engine mounts please? I Have an evol dogbone fitted and the car is nice as a daily so I'm not wanting uprated mounts.

You & I have been a pair of numpties over this, which give someone a chuckle.

What you have done is correctly supported the engine on a jack & then removed the 4 bolts from the casting covering the cambelt.
No longer anchored to the engine, the front of the car has risen on the suspension springs, so when you went to fit the new mount, it gave the impression that the engine must have been lower on the original mount.

If you had been fitting like for like, you would have probably worked it out.

For my part, I accepted what you said, looked at the Vibratech mount and thought if you flip it, it will sit higher.

It`s up to you to choose to refit the Vibratech, the standard mount with the powerflex insert or just the standard mount.

The first two will give some increased vibration on tickover, but the payback will be improved gearchanges and reduced lateral movement which can bind the driveshafts when you are up on 3 wheels.

The Vibratech was installed correctly in the 1st place.

Good work sir! It hadn't even occurred to me that would happen. Do you know if there's much difference between the Vibratech mounts and the yellow powerflex mounts?