ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mounts again!!!!

clio 172
Right I have read everything on here and cant find the following.

- Pictures of engine mount positions
- Details of how difficult to fit them (I am fairly pratical but need to know how hard it is before I start)
- Cost for fitting from a dealer or a local garage.

Need help as I have a novice track day @ brands and need to have the car in tip top condition.

Also are there any 'haynes' style manuals for a 172??

Thanks!!

TVR Cerbera
Right I have read everything on here and cant find the following.

- Pictures of engine mount positions
- Details of how difficult to fit them (I am fairly pratical but need to know how hard it is before I start)
- Cost for fitting from a dealer or a local garage.

Need help as I have a novice track day @ brands and need to have the car in tip top condition.

Also are there any 'haynes' style manuals for a 172??

Thanks!!

Dogbone - just access to undercar, 2 bolts
LH top Mount - hold engine up with trolley jack, undo 8 bolts
top and bottom g/box mounts - remove battery, access to under car, support gearbox on trolley jack, remove bolts to both mounts then move g/box up or down to get each mount out

no pics, sorry

audi a6 3.0tdi
as above with posistions. i'm a total novice when it comes to mechanics but me and a mate managed to change all the mounts on my ph1 172

RS RIP
RSMotroaufh.jpg

hard to see positions but thought it might help a little

clio 172
thanks for the advise, I have a phase one 172 so will have a go a the weekend, might take pics and create a guide. Thanks for the technical pics that was really helpful

182 FF
I have a slight clunking noise when I break or turn onto either full lock (doesnt happen all the time), I have read about problems with engine mounts, could it be one of these causing the noise? if so is there a likely culprit?

t3 corolla 116bhp
could be the mounts or driveshafts

check the mounts, sometimes they just need tightening and not always replaced. iirc there were a few members on here who thought they needed new mounts but infact they just needed the existing ones tightened

clio 172
I thought a piece of wood would be needed to support the sump and gear box and spread the weight. anybody got any tips i.e. top mount first etc to make it easier. I assume changing all of them is the way forward to do the job properly.

Renault Clio 172 Ph 2
Hi

I changed all of mine on a four poster ramp, so it was a little easier, but once the under tray is removed, I'm sure there is an area around where the gearbox connects to the engine is safe to jack on and will hold the engine and gearbox steady.

Cheers John

i've only done this job the once but think that you're probably best off doing the two gearbox mounts first, then the dog bone (whilst you're down there) and then the top engine mount (which is the easiest one).

not difficult, just time consuming first time round

TVR Cerbera
i've only done this job the once but think that you're probably best off doing the two gearbox mounts first, then the dog bone (whilst you're down there) and then the top engine mount (which is the easiest one).

not difficult, just time consuming first time round

agreed, that's how i did mine

clio 172
Sorry to go OT.

When is your Track day? As Im doing a Novice day at brands on the 21st Aug with Brucey82 off here.[/quote]

Im going on the 1st Oct. Not planning to do much to my car (standard @ moment) apart from sorting out the mounts plus the below

- Brakes - Grooved disc's / pads / braided lines
- Oil change
- Gear box fuild change
- Cooling system fiuld change
- Check tyres

From the motorsport vision web-site it sounds like they give some tution on set-up, so going to listen to this before shelling out on modifications and ripping the seats out!!!

Just out of interest anyone got any tips on the basics for setting up a car for a track day. More maintainance rather that modifications. .