ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine noise 182

RenaultSport clio 182
Hi i wonder if anyone can help, i have a 182 that has covered 38000 miles. My engine has developed a worrying scraping/ grinding noise it is very evident up to about 2k revs. It appears to be coming from the lh side of the engine as you are looking at it. any ideas?:(

BMW M3
I been wondering about this noise for ages !!!

I get it too if i hold it just above 2k or so. Seems to be coming from the bottom left hand side engine bay. There is black pipe down there and i tried touching it while performing some clever yoga manouver on the go pedal and it seemed to quieten it.... i think it just vibration of something.... engine cover rattled to but sorted this.

Dont notice it when driving though... only stationary with windows down and a little rev.

I'd bet you've not had the Aux belt chnaged.

It should be chnaged at 36k but dealers often don't.

Its most likly the tensoners on them which have given up.

BMW M3
Actaully, i think edde might be spot on as usual. Only had my aux belt and tensioners done on tuesday and ive not noticed the noise since.... Will have a listen later

RenaultSport clio 182
thanks for your quick reply guys, out of interest how much is it to have aux belt and tensioners replaced at renualt. thanks

BMW M3
thanks for your quick reply guys, out of interest how much is it to have aux belt and tensioners replaced at renualt. thanks

About 3 million quid... lol

Well... they treid to charge me £360 for just that and £660 inc service.... Its should only cost around £100 i think... hopefully your near yozzasport or rentek etc..

what is the Auxbelt? Is that the belt from the alternator?

Yep powers the aircon pump PAS pump coolent pump alternator err thats it I think. You can see it when you open the bonnet.

2.7 hours work to change belts only £12 or so.

RenaultSport clio 182
Think i will have a go at changing belt and tensioner myself. Is there a manual you can buy for the renaultsport models, or a guide to do this job, many thanks. Also has anyone on here done this job themselves?.

172 cup TT
edde u anywhere near herts sunshine? i gotta noisey friggin engine and no one can knows what it is... pm me (maybe i shoulda PMd you this! ha)

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
Had the same type of noise. Renault dealer found out it was from a untrue bearing in the pullys. Had the whole timing belt and aux belt change over...sweet.. haven't heard the noise since

Think i will have a go at changing belt and tensioner myself. Is there a manual you can buy for the renaultsport models, or a guide to do this job, many thanks. Also has anyone on here done this job themselves?.
Don't bother its a pain to do except on cups and hybrids.

PM me your address I'll send the guide as such but don't bother.
edde u anywhere near herts sunshine? i gotta noisey friggin engine and no one can knows what it is... pm me (maybe i shoulda PMd you this! ha)

Nope I live up in the North west bit of a drive away.