ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine noise 182

Do all 182 engines make the same loud ticking noise, it sounds like noisy tappets or maybe the fuel injectors. It cant be heard from inside the car but when driving with the passenger window down it sounds like a Mk1 fiesta. The car has done 800miles and was run in by the book, should I let the dealer have a look or is it normal.:(

225 & Audi S4

mine makes a ticking sound too asked dealer, said it was normal, dont know if i believe him thou i would get it checked out, how old is your car

Dave, you can only hear it with the window down and passing a wall or car to reflect the sound.

Littleone, did the dealer say it was tappets or something else.

Im not really worried if they all sound the same but it sounds a bit rough for a brand new engine.

Does anyone know if the tappets can be adjusted, are they hydraulic?

Bloody hell its a track car buy a focus if you want a quiet tick over!

some people would kill for a car that does 0-60 in around 6.5 secs, fit a k-tec exhaust you wont be able to hear it then.

I traded in a scooby so the performance isnt thrilling me so far, and at 75,000miles it was still quieter than the 182 at 800miles.

I noticed that mine was a bit noisy the other day when leaving my estate (car was cold) a neighbour wanted a closer look. I got out of the car whilst it was still running and must admit I thought mine was a bit loud too ... similar sounding noise (tappet-y)

Glad to hear that this isnt abnormal!

Craig

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Actually think the ticking tends to be the injectors. Both my performance Citroen (167) and Renault (172) engines have always had a tick.

Quote: Originally posted by tinhead on 08 June 2004

I traded in a scooby so the performance isnt thrilling me so far, and at 75,000miles it was still quieter than the 182 at 800miles. <SCRIPT language=javascript>
Slightly daft comparison.

My 182 is noisier than my BMW too!

The 182 IS noisy mechanically, especially when revved hard, but for the price and with its superb spec., I for one dont mind.

I dont even find the much-criticised driving position a problem, once adjusted to suit me.

It is a hot, hot hatch. They are noisy!

Quote: Originally posted by tinhead on 08 June 2004
<!-- ZoneLabs Popup Blocking Insertion -->Im not really worried if they all sound the same but it sounds a bit rough for a brand new engine.Does anyone know if the tappets can be adjusted, are they hydraulic?<SCRIPT language=javascript></SCRIPT>

the tick over noise if anything like 172s is rough as fook!!! something to do with the cams!! how ever its not what it sounds like on idle - its what it sounds like when you press the loud pedal!!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by 182 Clio on 09 June 2004

The 182 IS noisy mechanically, especially when revved hard, but for the price and with its superb spec., I for one dont mind.

I dont even find the much-criticised driving position a problem, once adjusted to suit me.

It is a hot, hot hatch. They are noisy!

For christs sake! If you read properly, he believed it sounded rough and thought it could be a fault, he just wanted to know if its normal or not lol.

Did he mention the price, driving position, spec being a problem? no need to go all patriotic :p Christ almighty LOL!

[Edited by ricjax99 on 09 June 2004 at 3:04pm]

Thanks for that Ricjax99.

I just wanted to know if it was normal I wasnt trying to be critical although the seat is a bit high;)

No probs,

"Seat is a bit high" LMAO, talk about can of worms! :eek:

Can u do heel n toe in the 172/182 btw? Impossible for me in the RT, pedals are nice and close but id knee cap myself on the s.wheel :p

For christs sake! If you read properly, he believed it sounded rough and thought it could be a fault, he just wanted to know if its normal or not lol.
Did he mention the price, driving position, spec being a problem? no need to go all patriotic :p

I was answering several posts at once, not just the original. My point stands, they are noisy so stop worrying. We would all have our sleeping bags at the dealers if we worried about every sound on a 172/182 ffs.

Do the olscrewdriver trick... Pop the bonnet, stick the screwdriver on a part of the engine you think is ticking, stick yer lug (thats ear to you southerners) on the end of the screwdriver... Move the screwdriver around until youve found it.

My 182 is also a bit rattly but I assumed they all did it... Cant say its too loud/bad though. If youre unsure or worried, Id suggest getting it checked out for peace of mind.

Balders