ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine noise

Clio 182 cup
I've got a clip of the sound my engine is making while at a stand still, the knocking/tapping seems to pick up when rev'd abit but doesn't get any louder. Anybody know what it may or may not be as i'm freaking out :mad:.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=88OJ7dgFdCk
I hijacked someone elses thread with the same issue :rasp: but thought i would start my own :cheers: .

i was gonna buy a 172 with the very same noise today...but common sense told me to walk away...even though the seller kept insisting that the noise was the "twin cams"...lol

if it's the dephaser that needs replacing, i think the part is about £100 from Renault and the labour is about 5 hours (as per cambelt change)

Clio 182 cup
seems to be coming from the top part of the engine where the engine cover would sit. How much more work is involved in replacing the dephaser as i'm getting the cambelt and that done in 2 weeks coz i could get it done then.

BMW M135i
Its the dephaser and I doubt it'll last 2 days let alone 2 weeks if its got to that state (look what happened to DrRollo). It needs sorting now before it takes the valves/possibly head out as well.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mine had, aux belt, cambelt, dephaser pully, head removed, ultrasounded, reskimmed, valves reseated, 8 new vlaves, new oil, new coolant,(+ stuff i can't remember) then there was labour on top. Was done here, good price for the work done IMO and they both own 172's so know the car well.

Birchdown Auto Services

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=275324

Was lucky in a way car was only ticking over when it broke.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
51 plate, 64k, had a cambelt done year ago to. I did do some spirited driving around the Nurgburgring though.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
But........... a depahser can just sound noisy. I know of a cup on here that did it for 2 yrs or so. DR rollos was a freak as the pully sheared off. Does the noise disapear once on the move, just noisy at idle? Get it changed though.

Clio 182 cup
mines an 03 plate 172 cup with 57k on the clock. when you rev it the ticking noise etc slightly speeds up but gets drowned out by the noise of the engine and when the sound of the engine gets low you then hear the ticking slow and go back to a ticking noise.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
sure it aint the charcoal cannister? Can you here it outside the car? A dephaser makes the car sound PROPER rough. A faulty charcoal cannister solinoid tick tick ticks on idle and cruise, then dissapears

A4 oil burner !!!
DrRollo vbmenu_register("postmenu_3432356", true);
ClioSport Club Member

Car: Flame Red 172

Re: engine noise
51 plate, 64k, had a cambelt done year ago to. I did do some spirited driving around the Nurgburgring though.

How unlucky ? If you only had the cambelt changed a year ago wouldnt they consider offering you some compensation eg 12mths warranty on cambelt parts etc

Clio 182 cup
Just an update really. Had the cambelt, aux belt, rest of the stuff that goes with those with that done, new water pump, new dephaser, oil and oil filter change done which I did today. The car is still sounding like a diesel and i can hear the noise increase in speed when i rev up slightly. Does the new oil need time to circulate and get into the system or should it be sraight away. It's strange coz if i rev up a few times the noise can goe away for about 5 seconds. I don't know what else it could be. Any ideas and do 172 cup normally have that sound during idle?

Clio 182 cup
How can you fix the charcoal canister thing. Is there anything i could buy to sort out a sticking hydraulic lifter or blocked injectors?

172 MKII FF
Wow is that what the carbon cannister sounds like? Mine has a slight ticking a ticking noise when I press the clutch down and rev it.

I've resolved it now, i disconnected the charcoal canister and now its not making the noise any more, sweet!

Dont think you should just disconnect it...think you have to bung the holes.
I would do a search as there is lots on it.
Mine ticks too...I got a new one and it still ticks:(

Yay my 1000th post too:cool:

clio 172 cup
HI! just thought id put something in to the mix. my 52 plate 44k cup ticks on idle after a couple of mins on cold start up but goes after you lightly rev it then 10 seconds later comes back, what do peeps think? normal?