ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine oil leaking into gearbox.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Well I changed the gearbox in the Dci 80 the other day and it started and drove pretty well. However I noticed that it was starting to drip engine oil from around the bottom of the gear selector and the clutch was slipping when it was coming on boost.

Pulled the gearbox off again and find that the clutch plate, pressure plate and flywheel have oil on them and the bottom half of the bell housing is a little bit oily.

I'm assuming that the only place that the oil can be getting into the box and into the clutch must be from the cam seal as there is no sign of oil that could be leaking from higher up and down into the box, is this correct?

If this is the case, whats the procedure/best way to remove and refit a new cam seal?

Cheers
Jamie

yqeguvaq.jpg

epa7yjyv.jpg

bu2yzu5u.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its the actual seal, you will have to take the box off, if its just the maincap not sealing properly its just about possible with the box in place still although awkward (assuming its same as a 172 which I would expect, but I know little of the DCi specifically)

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
If its the actual seal, you will have to take the box off, if its just the maincap not sealing properly its just about possible with the box in place still although awkward (assuming its same as a 172 which I would expect, but I know little of the DCi specifically)

Box, clutch and flywheel are off already so that's not an issue. Just removal and refitting I need some direction for!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
ah I thought you had refitted then found the issue after, apologies for not reading it better.

just dig it out and push a new one in if its the seal itself you think is gone.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
As Chip said.

Dig the old one out (be very careful not to damage any of the sealing faces), then simply push the new one in, giving it a smear of oil on the outer and inner faces.
Make sure it is flush. Job done.

I did the crank seal on my Megane, it looks more daunting than it is. It's quite simple really.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
That's good to know that it's not too difficult.

From looking at the pictures does it suggest that the seals away? It was only dropping oil when it's hot and I can't see anywhere else that the oil could be coming from.

Is it worth leaving the old clutch on when I put it back together just incase is doesn't sort the problem and ruins another clutch. I'm not bothered about the time it takes to put the box on and off, more bothered about wasting £100 on another clutch if it doesn't stop dropping oil lol!

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Not getting through the flywheel bolts is it? If no sealant/loctite has been used on them.
Had that issue once on an old metro