ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine out guide please

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
mrk1 172,

need to drop the engine out, going to drop it on the frame and lift the car over it..

my understandings is;

top, gearbox and dog bone mount off.
exhaust off
plumbing off
un clip all wiring
subframe support arms off
four subframe bolts off
rad stays in?
driveshafts out

then lift the car over the engine?

anything i have missed? also how loung you reckon to do.. i do not have a 4 post lift.

How are you going to lift the car over th engine?

Don't go bending the subframe though idealy remove that first then lower the engine.

Rad stays in yep air con needs unpressurinsing you should get a registered place to do it for you

Why remove the drivesfats you'll only then have to refill the gearbox. Since your doing body over engine. don't forget need to decide what your doing with the brakes undoing them and bleeding or doing the bottom ball joints and splitting them disconnecting the drivesafts and hubs as such etc.

Time cannot say depends how good tols you have. I'd give youerself a day.

Lionel Richie
take it out the top MUCH EASIER, LISTEN to me this time ben! remember last time when you didn't listen and did the gearbox????

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
LOL i dont have a crane though!

the car cant be that heavy with the eingine out.. 4 men could lift it and roll back?

edde why would the subframe bend?

with the brakes id drop the line off.

fred i can get a crane if you prove (write) that it will take less time and be less hassel!

how much does the engine weigh?

MkII Ph.2 172. Modified.
You don't need a crane. Jeez, it is only an engine. Do you have a local equipment hire place? Hell, ebay.co.uk is littered with block and tackle ads... Cheap too.
If you don't have the right tools, don't do the job. Best advice I can give you.

the car cant be that heavy with the eingine out.. 4 men could lift it and roll back?

edde why would the subframe bend?

fred i can get a crane if you prove (write) that it will take less time and be less hassel!

Get a crane its easier that was realy I assumed you had some sort of lift.

Subframe well you drop the engine onto it well there not that strong and bent ones are a bugger as there expensive so why wisk it for a few minutes work plus its out the way then.

Nar as said its heavy the car that way.