ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine overcooling?

Artic 182
Since the weather has got a little nippy my 182FF seems to mostly sit just under half when driving about, now this wouldnt usually bother me but clever renault have a variable rev limit so the dam limiter keeps catching me out!

Is this a common problem? Or should i try a new stat?

Artic 182
It was fine untill its started getting cold at night...

Thanks for your input dude, if i get no joy i will try it

S4 Avant
Unfortunately I noticed mine doing this tonight. Booted it a bit, and got the needle up to the middle. Oil was fully warmed up as well, as the rev limiter was at 7200. Just when driving normally the needle sat a notch below the middle.

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
I was not aware the rev limit was 7200, i thourght it was around 6800 ?? Maybe my car is not getting warm enough hmmm

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
Mine always sits just below half unless I'm giving it some stick for a while, I thought it was normal, takes bout 15 miles slow drivin before I can hit the 8k limit but if I drive a little harder from cold it takes bout 5 miles, but once it's warmed up there's no problem at all

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
the sensor is on the side of the thermostat housing on the right hand side of the engine where the airbox is, it should have 2 wires going to it,
correct me if i'm wrong

Artic 182
Trouble is i boot it and its warmed up but then if i cruise for a few minutes it sodding cools down again!

if it the coolant temp sensor your on about it where markblack172 described

just lift the air filter box out, its a small 2 wire switch plugged into thw thermostat housing.

if you stuggle to find it follow the hose from the the top of the coolant bottle down to the thermostat housing and its almost next to it

cant remember what they cost from stealers, think it is only about 2-3 of your english pounds

172 cup
yeh thats it mark mine does same as yours mark give it beans then it sits at half way the when ya chill it sits a little bit lower i thought it was normal to

Artic 182
I wouldnt mind if it didnt affect the rev limiter but sitting at 85degrees and cutting in early is irritating

SQ5
The oil temp effects the rev limiter ;) Although I also do think water does too as sometimes itll go all the way the 5 mins later it won't :S

its TWENTY QUID from the stealers! Fitted mine just now, will wait to see difference in a bit :)

SQ5
Have you fitted a new one yet? I did, and it isn't as bad now!

Had engine changed and it still does it! Sits just below half way

Artic 182
It really wont give me full revs unless i drive it hard to heat up, then after a while of normal driving it'll drop again. Think i should change cts and stat?

ValverInBits
On EVERY car I've had, I've had to do one of these.

It's the thermostat, not a sensor from my experience.

Ph1 172
I had the same issue with another car, spoke to a mechanic mate and he said the coolant:water ratio is wrong which is why the engine is running cool.

Either drain some of the coolant and then top up with water, or better still drain the system and then refill to the Reno requirements.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I had the same issue with another car, spoke to a mechanic mate and he said the coolant:water ratio is wrong which is why the engine is running cool.

Either drain some of the coolant and then top up with water, or better still drain the system and then refill to the Reno requirements.

You dont mix coolant with water on 172 mate type d pure coolant only .

172 Cup
How much did the thermostat cost?
Do you need any gaskets or o rings for housing?
My girlfriends car is doing this too. MPG's don't seem to good at the moment either!

Last edited:
  Artic 182
I ended up paying £12 for it because i had to get it from GSF. didnt come with any rings or gaskets (they usually do) so i re-used the old one and it was fine. whack some hylomar on it if your worried