ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine reliability at 200 bhp??

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
A question for those with a mild state of tune at 200 bhp.

Hopefully once cams,inlets and a re-map are performed on my car I'll be seeing over 190 bhp on my 182 Cup.

The car is used day to day for the job I have. Covering around 1250 miles a month.

Is the engine reliable at around 190-200 bhp? Am I likely to suffer problems initially or within a long term period due having these modifications? Anybody have any trouble with their cars following this route of tune?

Comments appreciated. Thanks.:)

I think from reading over this site that the majority of tuning problems come from using aftermarket ECU. I assume you using the stock ECU in which case it will be just as reliable as motor in stock form. Just be gentle with the gear change/clutch

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'd say the gearbox, clutch and drive shafts would fail first.

my box, drive shafts and clutch are sweet and that's with over 200bhp at the wheels. Car had done 36k at the time, was converted to ITB's, cams, omex600 etc, run to 81k and put back to standard and all bits are still the OE ones. 200bhp will be a walk in the park

my box, drive shafts and clutch are sweet and that's with over 200bhp at the wheels. Car had done 36k at the time, was converted to ITB's, cams, omex600 etc, run to 81k and put back to standard and all bits are still the OE ones. 200bhp will be a walk in the park

What miles are you at now ?

And who did your itb's ?

What miles are you at now ?

And who did your itb's ?

D1cky do a search through his posts. I cant believe you havnt seen before!!

lol, yeah car was done by GDI and it's on 82.5k miles at the moment... done around a thousand miles standard in it since selling all the bits, wont stay long in this spec ;)

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Im running a comfortable 220bhp and its 100%, will run hotter obv but it can take it no problem, clutch takes 190lbft before slipping.

R35 GTR
If the ecu is mapped by any half decent tuner then you shouldnt get any problems with reliability. More frequent oil changes would be a good idea to keep everything running smoothly.

178hp 172 Cup
yeh and with near 200hp at the fly u will b more like 170 to 175ft/lb!! i hear upgrading to a Helix is a good option??

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Thank you to everyone for their replies.:)

So, apart from the drivetrain suffering wear (aware of gearbox issues) nothing else to report really?

Engine can handle 200 bhp without failing in certain areas?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
yeh and with near 200hp at the fly u will b more like 170 to 175ft/lb!! i hear upgrading to a Helix is a good option??

I used a Helix organic fast road item in my Integra Type-R. Only lasted about four months before definate wear set in. Nice soft feel though on the pedal.

Used an A.P. item beforehand, again fast road organic. Lasted much longer. Pedal heavier though.

Mechanically the engine is able to withstand alot more than 200bhp. The majorty of issues occur with poor installation, excessive rpm and poor oil supply.

depends how much time you spend up there, fatigue is the main point, but instant failure can be seen by high rpm such as 8000-8200rpm.

If you spend alot of time at high rpm you need good oil, good oil supply and sufficient viscosity at the average working oil temp you'll be seeing. Apart from that, rod bolts and pistons can fatigue and fail if you are a limiter hero and have an upped limiter to say 7800rpm.

I see. I don't know when peak power is made with aftermarket camshafts but from most people are saying the increased rev limit is pretty pointless anyway. (especially running standard)

where peak power made then with aftermarket cams and/or TBs? (rough estimate)

TVR Cerbera
Im running a comfortable 220bhp and its 100%, will run hotter obv but it can take it no problem, clutch takes 190lbft before slipping.

standard clutch doesn't take 190. i'm running 177ft lbs and mine's just exploded. i would say it would take circa 200bhp.

uprated helix organic is only rated at 170 ftlb

gearbox weakness is rubbish, unless your gearchange is rubbish

I see. I don't know when peak power is made with aftermarket camshafts but from most people are saying the increased rev limit is pretty pointless anyway. (especially running standard)

where peak power made then with aftermarket cams and/or TBs? (rough estimate)

i'm running catcams 422 and bodies and peak is at 7500.

ive got 233bhp at the fly and only 177 lbft!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats quite high considering that you'll ideally be using the tail side of peak power for at least 500-1000rpm. What point is peak torque?

TVR Cerbera
Thats quite high considering that you'll ideally be using the tail side of peak power for at least 500-1000rpm. What point is peak torque?

no cos i'm still making 233 at 7800. the power curve doesn't drop, because i have breathing problems or did have (172 manifold, sportscat) and the cams want to make more power. once i have the 182 manifold on with the first box in the right place (tuned length) then i should have 240-245. peak torque is at about 6.5k iirc

( and i don't drive it to the limiter either, shift light at 7500)

Though we were talking about a stock engine when i wrote the post.

Whats the curve like sub 4000rpm?

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Id suggest dropping it onto another set of rollers mate, I was told 227bhp and 187lbft on the same ones you have got your figures from. But got then I got 220bhp and 170lbft against other 172s and 182s which were making bang on book figures.

TVR Cerbera
Though we were talking about a stock engine when i wrote the post.

Whats the curve like sub 4000rpm?
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=303721

Id suggest dropping it onto another set of rollers mate, I was told 227bhp and 187lbft on the same ones you have got your figures from. But got then I got 220bhp and 170lbft against other 172s and 182s which were making bang on book figures.

172s and 182 don't make book figures. what mods have you? how long ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
  TVR Cerbera
same as you plus headwork but minus the rods.

work was done november last year.
I've done headwork. have you got high comp pistons? i'm also running 422 cams, are you? what do you think to them. was thinking about the next ones up......

by GDI? must of seen mine there, cos it was in there in nov.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
quite possibly, there was 2 blue cups up on the ramps! foxons and the other must have been yours!

yea its the same package i think. I am selling my car now though, although I know I will miss it :(

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
you will get the same old arguments about power figures..

every set of rollers seems to say something different...

we will have some rather nice superflow ones very soon.... (single roller)

clio 200 F4Rt

i wouldnt say that is too big a difference on two totally different rollers.

Plus it shows you have nigh on 50 bhp more than the standard ones, which is another 1/4 power extra!!

TVR Cerbera
quite possibly, there was 2 blue cups up on the ramps! foxons and the other must have been yours!

yea its the same package i think. I am selling my car now though, although I know I will miss it :(

mine wasn't a package from GDI, it's my own creation! lol. Andy just rebuilt it after it broke and tuned it.

Focus RS mk1
looks like i am going to be the party pooper, i must just be really unlucky as i had cams fitted and now i have a blown engine. gutted completly. it lasted all of 3days and around 250-300mile!!