ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Stop and Battery Flashing

Titanium Clio 182
I think its the Alternator for obvious reasons, was travelling from Portsmouth to Middlesbrough this afternoon, everything was fine. About one hour into the 6 1/2 journey every time I braked, my stereo would flicker between night mode and day mode. An hour later I entered a traffic jam and the stop light and brake light started flashing in sync with the idling of the engine. When I drive off it would flicker faster, at about 3000 revs it would flicker so fast that it just looked light a dull illumination on the stop and the battery light, anything above or below the revs it would start to flicker eradically. I though id be ending up on a RAC truck as I still had over 3 hours till I was to arrive in Middlesbrough. I made it though and it was flashing constantly, the brightness of the flashing would increase if I turned the lights on, the fan on full blower with aircon and the radio. I made sure everything was turned off so I would make it back to boro.

I stopped when I got to Middlesbrough and the light was still flashing (Stop light and battery light) with very low illuminance, could hardly see iy, but it was flickering as soon as I stopped. When I got in the car 10 min later it had stopped flickering.

I'm going to test it tomorrow with a FLUKE.

Will it be the Alternator, battery or voltage regulator (my brother mentioned the voltage regulator, dunno what it is)

I forgot to mention the clock on the dashboard was flashing in sync with the stop and battery light.

Thanks in advance.

Titanium Clio 182
Nah the headlights looked fine in the reflection on the cars in front.

I'm going to have a good look tomorrow with my brother.

Titanium Clio 182
Also, the battery light is flashing when the engine isn't running. As when I turn the ignition key. Which is strange!

Going to check it in a few hours.

Titanium Clio 182
Its now in the garage, battery was 11.5 V when engine off and when engine running and revving it.

182 cup / combo van
Just noticed mines doing this lastnight, stop and battery light on, slightly dull though, car still under Arnold clark warranty though, so should hopefully be fixed foc, going to check the voltage of the battery later.