ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine swap help

jakehamer1994

North West - North
Hi

Basically I've got a 2002 mark 2 clio 1.2 and I won't to put another engine in it very soon. I know that the 172 And 182 fits bit I've been told that a 2 litre Mark 2 gof turbo fits? Just wanted to know if anyone know if that's true and also what other engines can be put in?

Please don't comment saying just buy the car etc, I know it would be cheaper but I got this Clio when I was 17 insurance was high so had no choice it what I could really get, since then I've spent alot on the car and if I got another would cost me a bit to transfer it over to that, so engine swap would be ideal as I can leave my sound system alone then which has cost over a grand. I'm soon to be 21 so insurance won't be as bad as when I was 17 and I'm planning on doing it all legal and tell them exactly what's in the car unlike some people

Thanks

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Your insurance will be huge at 21 with an engine transplant.

I wouldnt bother

btw, £1k is a pittance compared to what you will spend doing a swap!

106GTI / NovaC20LET
I wouldnt bother the golf engine idea tbh will be alot more trouble than a f4r swap. Basically your gonna need ecu, loom, engine, driveshafts, subframe and wishbones etc(if you want it to handle) and lots of other little bits. if i was you id buy a crashed 172 as a donar car and then you have everything you need.

jakehamer1994

North West - North
It's not just the money it's the time and effort that's I've put into it to make it as good and neat as I can which I would have to start from New if I got another car which I don't have the time anymore due to work. and yeah the sport was my first thought and having a look on eBay at engines I worked out would be better to buy a crashed or beat up on body work one and strip it and then sell the parts I don't need and scrap the shell. And to be honest the price of a swap ain't a issue I've got the money to do it just won't advice and help before I rush into it

106GTI / NovaC20LET
It's not just the money it's the time and effort that's I've put into it to make it as good and neat as I can which I would have to start from New if I got another car which I don't have the time anymore due to work. and yeah the sport was my first thought and having a look on eBay at engines I worked out would be better to buy a crashed or beat up on body work one and strip it and then sell the parts I don't need and scrap the shell. And to be honest the price of a swap ain't a issue I've got the money to do it just won't advice and help before I rush into it

BINGO!

You will pay about the same or less for a full car than you would sourcing all parts individually, plus you will keep finding parts you need if you don't have the donor.

Pin - bubble - pop .

Hi welcome to the real world;) you are day dreaming. The cost involved doing a transplant ie: F4r into a non sport plus insurance will cost you more than just buying a sport and insuring it.

Insurance companies will rape you for converting it to a 2 litre.

I was similar with my first car years ago, never wanted to get rid! Thinking now what a pile of s**t that was.

Man up and sell up is the easiest way to do it.

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdQOCEYpEY3EZHjswzrhPWIg8wq832JDUKH0dZ-XJBV-UKkhk40A.jpg

phase 1 flamer 172
What everyone has said is correct but if you want to do it, you want the 1.8 20v turbo unit from the mk4 golf (plus others), theres one or 2 who have done it on here in the projects page somewhere.

330i. E30 Touring.
PMSL at swapping an engine instead of a sound system into a new car.

This place never fails to get me.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
No such thing as a mk2 Golf 2.0 turbo! lol. mk2 Golf GTI was 1.8 8v & 16v N/A engine or the Rallye & G60 had a supercharged 1.8 8v.

Don't think it's worth the effort IMO. It was be far far easier to swap your sound system over.

You'd probably save enough off the insurance to make a damn good start at 'cleaning it up'.

If you really want to drop the cash, go for it but don't forget about suspension & braking upgrades to match the increase in power.

jakehamer1994

North West - North
Right after thinking about it for a while I've now decided to finish my car off with the sound system, alloys etc and once happy I'm going to buy a basic 172 or 182 and then slowly swap the sound system from my car to that and also will have to swap the door cards. Once the sport has got the sound in I will then hopefully sell my 1.2 for 400 -500 which I should get which will them help towards the insurance

jakehamer1994

North West - North
Insurance is a rip off anyway pal I got quoted 8 grand a year when I just passed my test for a 172 , about a month ago tried again I'm 20 now and it's 3 grand hopefully I'm 21 in january next year and it will go down but I'm definitely going to get one either way just the less I pay the better

330i. E30 Touring.
Wise choice!

Good to see someone take the advice of those who have been there tbh.

Yep, at 21, it'll drop nicely again. After 25, you barely even consider insurance anymore. Lol

LY 200 & 265 Trophy
Insurance is a rip off anyway pal I got quoted 8 grand a year when I just passed my test for a 172 , about a month ago tried again I'm 20 now and it's 3 grand hopefully I'm 21 in january next year and it will go down but I'm definitely going to get one either way just the less I pay the better

No, 172 cup has no abs and as a result had had far more crashes and some companies won't touch them. Those that do have usually hiked the prices up accordingly.

Don't worry it comes down eventually when you old and grey like some of us ☺️

jakehamer1994

North West - North
Haha mines dropped a bit my first car was a saxo forte which is a 1.1 and insurance company wanted 8 grand for that fair enough I had just passed my test and it is a well known "boy racer " car but thats unbelievable, so obviously never insured that and had to get rid. was looking a sport when I was 18 nearly 19 and they wanted just over 6 grand and now I'm 19 And might have something to do with a change in job but it's now down to 3 grand so hopefully 21 is the big drop :)