ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine troubles on my 1.6 16v Clio Dynamique...

Hi all, I've been a reader for a while but this is my first post, so please go easy on me. I've got a couple of problems that I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on.

As the topic title suggests it's a 1.6 16v Clio Dynamique (51 plate), with only 28k on the clock. I've only had it since August '07 and have had no problems at all, passed MOT with ease in November.

1. Last Monday I had some trouble driving back from work, having just got down the road it started 'juddering' and bouncing a little, it was a similar experience to running out of petrol. A warning light came on the dash, which after consulting the handbook, it stated it was the "Warning light for monitoring exhaust gas" and that "If it flashes, reduce the engine speed until the light stops flashing." Which I did.

I managed to make it home and was going to wait until the next morning to get it looked at, but my impatient father insisted on calling the AA for 'Home Start'. They eventually showed up and the guy reckoned it was a common fault and straight away started testing the ignition coils, he decided that two needed to be replaced and did so, only afterwards telling me that I had to pay £97 for the pleasure. :mad: Having checked on eBay afterwards I realised I could have bought a whole set for £39ish, so I was none too pleased. :dapprove:

The car drove fine for a few days and now it seems to be jerking a little on low rev's and gear changes, similar to the bouncing but nowhere near as severe, no warning lights either. The guy mentioned that a couple of coils had already been replaced before his efforts and that, for such low mileage, it may indicate a more severe problem. So before I take to get looked at again, is there anything I need to be checking so that I can avoid getting ripped off again?

2. Do I actually need to take the car to get serviced in order to turn the 'Service' warning light off? I know it's probably best to take it anyway, but I was just wondering.

Hope someone can help a newbie out!

Renault Clio 182 Silver
The only comment I can give is on the "service" light. The light doesn't indicate that your car needs a service, but that there is a fault. If one of your other fault warning lights (airbag light, exhaust fume warning light etc.) comes on, the "service" light will also light up..:cool:

Ah that makes sense, should have mentioned that the airbag light was on too. I thought it might just be telling me that it was switched off. Cheers for that, hopefully shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Anyone know what the issue might be for the airbag light to be on?

CB600FS
The airbag light will be the pretensioner wiring under the seat, wiggle each connecter (under the seat, the connector will have brown/blue wires) and the light should go out, for a bit.

Most people cut and solder them so its got a proper connection.

BMW M135i
The coil packs on them are shite. If your sure the new problem isn't a placebo then i'd recommend getting some of those coil packs off ebay and some new plugs, made a world of difference to my old one much more smooth.

I've got a load of spares you can try if you not too far away.

@TomTom:

Which seat are we talking for the airbag? Will it be under both seats, one for each bag? Excuse my ignorance.

@bmh.01:

Hmm, so you reckon it'll need a whole new set then? Plugs shouldn't be a problem though. It's definitely doing it on very low rev's, ie. if I move off in 2nd then it kangaroos down the road whereas before this problem it didn't.

Cheers for the offer, I'm in Kent so the petrol would probably outweigh the cost of buying my own parts. Thanks all the same.

2004 Clio 1.6 Dynamique
in theroy u should change all four coil packs at the same time. So i would recomend doing them all. If some have gone chances are the others arent too far behind.

CB600FS
@TomTom:

Which seat are we talking for the airbag? Will it be under both seats, one for each bag? Excuse my ignorance.

On the early ones it can be either but they 'seemed' to rectify it on the drivers side as time went on (around 2004), Makes sense todo both really it'd save the hassle and its only a quick 20 minute job.

Look under each seat, its a block plug with 2 wires going in and 2 going out, can't miss it.

Megane Cabriolet D+
I had the similar problem with mine mate, only one of my coil packs went though and that was jerky enough, so i first changed the plugs & that improved it a little, but then changed the coil pack that was dead and its been absolutly fine since.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

Cheers for all the answers guys, most helpful.

I'll have a look under the seats over the weekend and get that sorted.

I have a feeling I'll be needing to replace the other two coils as well then, excuse my ignorance but I won't need to replace all four again will I? Considering the replacements that the AA put in are only two weeks old.

However I've now developed a third problem; a constant high pitched screetching at all speeds, it stops if I press on the brake pedal but otherwise it's constant, and very annoying. I thought it was the brake pads wearing thin, but after checking them today they have plenty left on them. Any other thoughts? It's definitely coming from the front wheels.