ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EPAS Issue

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good Morning All,

I completed a track day at Silverstone GP at the weekend and noticed some issues with my EPAS.

I don't know how to best describe the issue but the steering wheel felt "clunky", on fast bends it went hard/soft/hard. I only run a small amount of assistance while on track but it was very noticeable at the weekend.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, I've have a quick search and people have mentioned the motor way be on the way out but I don't fancy taking it all out if not the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

172 Ph1
That’s normal when it’s turned down low .

Did you try running it in the middle resistance ?
Makes a difference.

I guess it’s down to preference.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
That’s normal when it’s turned down low .

Did you try running it in the middle resistance ?
Makes a difference.

I guess it’s down to preference.

Cheers @barnesautos

TBH I keep turning it lower and lower which agrees with what you said, when turned up to max assist there was no issue.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Forgive my ignorance but is it just to prevent power sapping that people swap to EPAS on these?
Or is it that the OEM system leak/fails on track?
Ordinarily i hate EPAS and any car I drive with it is always far worse in steering feel?

If its for power sapping, its it "really" make that much difference? vs the crap steering feel?
If its for leaking, is it not just just worth fixing the standard issues?

Happy to be educated further though :)

172 Ph1
Forgive my ignorance but is it just to prevent power sapping that people swap to EPAS on these?
Ordinarily i hate EPAS and any car I drive with it is always far worse in steering feel?

If its for power sapping, its it "really" make that much difference? vs the crap steering feel?

Basically out on track you could blow a pump , spill oil on track , cause an issue “Stop the session” and worst of all hot PAS fluid could potentially enter the cam belt area and cause engine failure.
That’s it it a nutshell.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
That all makes sense but why is a Clio PAS pump any more likely to fail than any other PAS pump?
I’ve spent more than enough time on track in cars with hydraulic PAS and as long as it’s kept cool, I don’t see the issue.
Whats different on a Clio that PAS pump failure becomes such a concern?

Ive had a chance to test my epas more now and can only fault the extra resistance in the first 20deg that puts me off a bit, but considering the crap the cars given me on the steering thats nothing for a connected and smooth steering. It still self centers as well but only after the 20deg.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup

mine was purely a reliability measure.

had my system leak at cadwell Park and caused a big spin. I just wanted piece of mind that it wouldn’t happen again, plus it’s one less thing to worry about!

I also don’t believe it feels that much different. Although agree it’s not as good as HPAS.