ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Episode 3 - R-sport ECU fitted

996 Carrera

I fitted the ECU this afternoon - bloody nightmare getting the ECU cover off!

After two hours (!) Id got the old chip out and fitted the new one, locked and unlocked the car a couple of times and all was well - no warning lights or blown fuses, unlike my headunit install!

Then the best bit - went for a quick test drive. The engine seems to rev a little smoother at start-up and seems to hold its revs more than standard - I had to brake a bit more than normal through the bends on the estate where previously Id just ease off the throttle.

Once on the dual carrigeway the fun really started. It definitely pulls harder lower down the rev range and the engine really screams all the way up to the 8000rpm limiter.

All in all Im very happy with it. All thats left now is to get it on the RR on Saturday and get the increase in power and torque down on paper.

Cheers,

G

Well done mate - youve convince me to order mine now -any noticabale increase in acceleration to 60 or 100? Does the limiyter try and cut in at 6250 like it would with a superchip remap and does the engine struggle to 8000RPM or does it pull all the way?

sounds good i am on the brink of ordering too, what in a nutshell is the most noticeable benefit? 0-60 ? above? top speed? torque? is it truly worth the £250 or whatever it is?

996 Carrera

Ive only been out in it for 20 mins so Ive just wrote down what I noticed during that time. Ill have a better inpression of the difference after the run in to work in the morning.

Id say its definitely worth the £241 it costs.

MEGANE

fitted mine this morning, took about 45 mins, bit better throttle response,bit more torqe,rev limits a bit higher , makes the car pick up a bit quiqer so better for overtaking, cant wait to try it out at donnington on thursday should be more noticible on track!!!!

We fitted one of the Renault group "N" ECUs for a customer on saturday. The impressions I get from the mod are very similar as well. I think one of the main differences for sure is the elastic band between the throttle pedal and butterfly has definately been tightened, now as soon as you press the pedal you can feel the difference and the car starts to pull straight away and does not seem to be bothered what revs you start at. mid range touque and part throttle responce is certaially much better. I do not have any sort of power figures for the car but to be honest all you have to do is put your bum in the seat and press the faster pedal and you will now its got more.

I would say a very good conversion for the cost.

If any customers would like this conversion but are unsure or do not wish to fit the unit themselves we can supply and fit the ECU for Cliosport members at £265.00 inc vat.

Nippy white cup

Fitted mine last week and I can definately recommend it to anyone. It seems to pull to 8000rpm without any probs. It has improved three ways. Better response/pickup low down, it seems to have a bigger 5000rpm boost, and of course it revs higher. Fantastic mod for a v resonable price.

@ Monkeymagic. How fecking tight is that cover!!! Took ages to remove the b*****d thing!:mad:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Chris -

Whens it going back on the rollers for the after ECU test???

Love to see the actual comparison between standard and R-Sport ECUs

Quote: Originally posted by N.D.Hill on 01 September 2003

We fitted one of the Renault group "N" ECUs for a customer on saturday. The impressions I get from the mod are very similar as well. I think one of the main differences for sure is the elastic band between the throttle pedal and butterfly has definately been tightened, now as soon as you press the pedal you can feel the difference and the car starts to pull straight away and does not seem to be bothered what revs you start at. mid range touque and part throttle responce is certaially much better. I do not have any sort of power figures for the car but to be honest all you have to do is put your bum in the seat and press the faster pedal and you will now its got more.

I would say a very good conversion for the cost.

If any customers would like this conversion but are unsure or do not wish to fit the unit themselves we can supply and fit the ECU for Cliosport members at £265.00 inc vat.
where abouts are you based please.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Address:
Barns Heath Farm,
Snarestone Road,
Appleby Magna,
Swadlingcote,
Derbys,
DE12 7AJ

Phone: 01530 273633

Mobile: 07973 342081

Nippy white cup

What you up to on Sat? Might try and get it booked in for next Sat at Powerzone. Just for a power run to see if the BHP has gone up much.

I cant lose really cause even if there isnt a great improvment in horses, I know that it has made a big diff on the road. I do think that it will add 5-8bhp based on the improvment ive noticed.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

What you up to on Sat?

Ill be sat round a pool drinking a cold beer mate... :D

Going on my hols early Friday morning, away for a week, so wont be about until Sat 13th Sept now

Might try and get it booked in for next Sat at Powerzone. Just for a power run to see if the BHP has gone up much.

Did you ask them how much that would cost?!

Might get mine on there to see what its running now...

I cant lose really cause even if there isnt a great improvment in horses, I know that it has made a big diff on the road. I do think that it will add 5-8bhp based on the improvment ive noticed.

Better than the Superchip you tried then?!

Rangerover Supercharged

Hey Chris PM me if you can sort out a run at Powerzone ill get my cup over for a comparison against a standard cup, tell Andy I said hello when you speak to him.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by poundrick on 01 September 2003

Hey Chris PM me if you can sort out a run at Powerzone ill get my cup over for a comparison against a standard cup, tell Andy I said hello when you speak to him.
Well, if we wait until Im back off my hols Ill run my Cup too...

Probably get a good deal if more of us wanna go, as all we want is a power run which is quick & easy for them and no messing about.

Unless...

What about a NW area RR day then we get a few of us down???

Where you from Poundrick?!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 01 September 2003

Booked in at Powerzone at 9.15 on Sat morning, if you can get up for it!
Ah, fair enough. :oops:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Eddd on 01 September 2003

So when do we get a comparison test with the GrN ECU and R-Sport chip?
Never... its the same thing!

The R-Sport IS an ECU mate, not a chip.

I get the feeling that the name "R-Sport" is meant to convey some connection to Renault without actually putting Renaults name to them!

And where can I get a GrpN ECU from?

MEGANE

dont know? but its almost sure to void the warranty, otherwise it would be fitted as standard!!!

Eddd has the Grp N parts catalogue for the Ragnotti/Cup - hes posting it to me on Monday - ohlins/Bilstein suspension here we come! Pukka rally gear ya know!

this is all getting very confusing, who knows :-

1. the correct name part no for this ecu/chip/mangement system/

2. where it comes from - local renault dealer / renault sport uk/france

3. a contact address or web site

4. price

5. and the holy grail- and RR read outs before and after

any help would be great, or please send me two asprins as my head is thumping....cheers

Clio 197

There are four ECUs in the Grp N catalogue:

77 11 129 391 for the F4R 730

77 11 129 434 for the F4R 732

77 11 129 506 for the F4R 736

77 11 129 630 for the cammed and high compression? Grp N F4R 736.

Ed

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 02 September 2003

R-Sport will be at Donington on Thursday - Ill ask em.
See ya there! Pop over and say hello! You wont miss my car - itll be the one with the Mk2 V6 spoiler ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by poundrick on 02 September 2003

Are any of you guys going over to Powerzone on Saturday to show a little support
Im on my hols mate...

But, we are thinking of organising a little NW group RR day there sometime!

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by JJ172 on 02 September 2003

Quote: Originally posted by JJ172 on 01 September 2003

Thanks for the feedback Nick. So will this mod fit a Mk2 172?
BUMP!!!
Nope. The one on the 172 has to look after the auto headlamps, ESP, ABS etc etc. So the R-Sport ECU is Cup only.

Maybe one day it will but not at the moment as far as I know.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

If you want your 172 chipped get a unichip and get it custom mapped.. none of this "off the shelf" crap..

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 02 September 2003

If you want your 172 chipped get a unichip and get it custom mapped.. none of this "off the shelf" crap..

KDF line up side by side with me @ 30 mph in 3rd and see how "crap" the R Sport ECU is, I would totally gub you for throttle response and low down ull in 3rd.