ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

esp on 172

TDI tyre shreader

Which 172s come with esp? went looking at one today with it in a dealers would a 2002 come with it? the one that had it was unregistered in the dealers living room.

Cheers, Iain

Lee

BMW M2C

Im not 100% certain on the dates, but I think they started coming with it from around September 2002.

Cars with it tend to also tend to have clear side repeators, as they were made standard at the same time. A few months later the drivers side door look was removed!! Not the best way to tell its actually age but a good indication.

Mines an 03 which was registered in March, but manufactured in January. I have ESP and clear repeators, but also both locks!!

Hope that makes sense.

Lee

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

My (soon to be arriving) car has both door locks and clear indicators.
Its regd as an 03, but was built in 02 as far as I can see from the renault paperwork in the glovebox.

TDI tyre shreader

just found out that esp came as standard on a 172 after aug 2002 or so the parkers website says (owners review) Cheers for the help guys

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

And how would you know if you have/havent got it?
Obviously ABS can be tested by stamping on teh brakes etc.

If youve got it, theres an ESP/traction button next to the dashboard light dimmer wheel on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Clear side repeaters came in from beginning of 2003 and ESP was, as said, about August/September 2002.

Lee

BMW M2C

They also changed the little Renault/Elf sticker in the rear window around mid 2003, when they removed the one lock. How sad am I for noticing that fact!!!

TDI tyre shreader

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 03 January 2004

And how would you know if you have/havent got it?
Obviously ABS can be tested by stamping on teh brakes etc.
From reading a past post u can also tell by turning ignition key to second click, when all lights come on on dash and the esp light, lights up. looks like a scary face or something!! Apparently you can also have it without the button to turn it off, found on some imports from Belgum.

Think im turning into a esp anal r****d now!!

Jonesy

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by mikeherts on 03 January 2004

If youve got it, theres an ESP/traction button next to the dashboard light dimmer wheel on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Clear side repeaters came in from beginning of 2003 and ESP was, as said, about August/September 2002.
but thats not 100% as there were 172s that came with esp but no button to switch it off.. how confusing eh !

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i thought all mk2 172s had esp it was just the dashboard buttons that were different on some vehicles.

Elise/VX220/R26

It started on 03 reg cars (dont know exactly when) Mines 03 and it has ESP but I also have both locks!

Lee

BMW M2C

The consistency of Renault. :confused:

I wasnt aware some cars had it without the switch. In that case there is a light on the dash which is orange and has the image of a car sliding on ice on it. The will illuminate for a few seconds when the ignition is switched on.

Elise/VX220/R26

Its a quality bit of kit too, well underrated. Redirects power between the wheels when your cornering too quick and the lot.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

I did when i first got it but novelty value has worn off. I t comes in handy with the specs cameras tho. I tend to just set it and forget about them. Id prob use it more if i did long motorway journeys.

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 04 January 2004

It started on 03 reg cars (dont know exactly when) Mines 03 and it has ESP but I also have both locks!
No it didnt. It started on 52 reg cars (possibly some late 02 if it was August). Mines 52 and definitely has it!

mine doesnt have any of that! it was registered in march 02... but I found a date on the car which suggrests it was mad in december 2001!!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Yeah, My car was regd March 1st 03, but Im sure I sure it was made in 2002 on one of the docs.

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by mikeherts on 04 January 2004
Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 04 January 2004It started on 03 reg cars (dont know exactly when) Mines 03 and it has ESP but I also have both locks![/QUOTE]No it didnt. It started on 52 reg cars (possibly some late 02 if it was August). Mines 52 and definitely has it!

actually mine was from a car supermarket so although 03 reg it was probably made about the same time as your 52 so I stand corrected!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 04 January 2004

Its a quality bit of kit too, well underrated. Redirects power between the wheels when your cornering too quick and the lot.
it uses a combination of applying throttle and applying the front brake which is on the outside of the bend to counteract oversteer.it uses a combination of releasing the throttle and applying the rear brake which is on the inside of the corner to counteract understeer.there are additional solenoids in the abs block to allow esp.