ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Euans Albi 200

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I picked this up this morning and I'm loving it so far.

After the unfortunate demise of my mx5 it was time to for a change, I've had 2 mx5s in a row and with a fault claim now on my insurance the premium for an mx5 anywhere near the spec of the one I crashed would be through the roof.

Decision was made that I needed something I wouldn't want to mod too much and to me that meant going newer. 1*2s tempted me but I thought I just wouldn't be happy with a standard one.

Started looking at 197s and then inevitably upped my budget and now I've ended up with this 200

So it's a 200 with the cup chassis, and various other bits but I don't know what's extra spec and standard as coming from the mx5 this feels like it's got so many gadgets.

No Recaros unfortunately but I was in need of a car, it does though have the Akrapovic exhaust which sounds brilliant.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Plans are very much based around OEM bits and bobs as I just can't get insurance on modified cars at the moment.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
The pictures the dealer had did it no justice. Lovely colour in the flesh, I didn't want blue originally as ive only had blue cars but it's so nice I don't mind.

Last edited:
  Swift Sport
Tempted by the Albi 197 in the classifieds, but I shouldn't buy yet another car I've owned before lol.

Brakes are awesome aren't they!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
From what I've felt yeah, not really tested them properly yet as I'm a bit lacking in confidence at the moment.

Not driven since I crashed so I was just taking it easy and making sure I didn't do anything stupid

Swift Sport
Well once you're comfortable with the car, give the brakes a try (on a dry road!), they're amazing for a standard car!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Will do, I'm looking forward to giving it a good thrashing see what all the renaultsport hype is about.

Swift Sport
The 197/200 got slated back in the day for being 'slow' which was a load of balls. It's not as exciting as a 172/182 because it's bigger and more refined, but it also handles much better with excellent brakes. For me the only real disappointment was the weak gearbox and poor MPG for such a modest car.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I have really noticed the difference to the mx5.

Mine was probably similar to yours in that it has a full interior and was quite plush for an mx5 yet this 200 just feels so much different.

Everything's lighter to use and as you say more refined. Feels very odd at the moment.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I had an Albi 197 and it never photos well. In the flesh it's awesome, can look really different in changing light conditions :)

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It needs the 72,000 mile service very soon unfortunately so Recaros won't be on the cards for a little while.

That's the first priority as its on 68,000 but is just getting to 6 years old.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
So the bills are starting to roll in... Yay!

Headed ooop north for the belts to be done by Mick at diamond, fantastic service and I'm happy I've got peace of mind to give the car a thrashing now they've been done.

Mick was good enough to give the car a look over and picked up a few niggles to sort out.

I knew it had got a blow from the exhaust that started recently so I now know that's coming from the exhaust flexi. Not sure whether to try and replace the flexi or go for a full manifold... but not a toyosport, the advice was very strongly against them! This is caused by shagged engine mounts so they'll be changed as well.

Also picked up was a broken Spring on the drivers front, this poses more of a dilemma. The cars got a warranty that came with buying it that should cover the spring (although that's yet to be confirmed) but I'm not sure whether to sack that off and just get some lowering springs fitted whilst I have the chance.

Decisions decisions!! Still loving the car though even if it does sound like a pig and is filthy at the moment. It was staying clean until I washed it, now it's covered in all sorts.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'd probably just bite the bullet now and get the lowering springs you are after mate; no point in getting it fixed and then buying and fitting (possibly shortly after) the lowering springs... :smile:

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I think that's the way I'll go, having thought about it I think I'll go for springs and then try and get new flexis welded into the manifold, plus engine mounts to prevent it happening again

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Buy a modern car they said, 'it'll be more reliable' !!

The car cut out whilst driving on Saturday and wouldn't restart, leaving it for a few minutes seems to work and it will run and drive fine for a few minutes when it will cut out again.

So it's looking electrical, the AA guy that towed me to Renault reckoned crank sensor and that would appear likely. So the cars now with Renault and booked in for Monday which is the soonest they can get onto it!

Yay!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I thought I was going to be able to write a positive update over the next few days, that's been somewhat hampered today.

So good news first, on Thursday the cars going in to Beaniesport to have a new manifold put on along with H&R springs and some powerflex engine mounts.
image.jpeg

That's all of the issues I know about on the car and they should be sorted by Thursday, I was pretty happy thinking the car will be ready for CSF in plenty of time? Until this morning..

Was leaving for work this morning and noticed, couldn't fail to notice, the huge dent in the door. Luckily it looks like they only hit the door and nothing else is damaged, should just be a case of a new door
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Few little bits to update on this,

The springs are on and the manifold is too. The engine mounts got replaced for powerflex items as so far I've had no trouble with the manifold knocking on anything. It's very loud now, which I'm enjoying but do have to consider how I drive it at times so that it doesn't annoy the neighbours.

The door is also changed which was a bit of a faff but it's done now. I shall know for future reference that the window needs to be down to take it off. Oops
Added the finishing touches to the door today and wired in the speaker and light to finish it off.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I've also found that a clio door doesn't fit in the boot! Out came the hacksaw
image.jpeg

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
If anybody fancies purchasing this it will be going up for sale in the very near future!

I've taken the decision that I need to do trackdays again and I'm just not comfortable with the risk of loosing this sort of cash if I have a prang!