ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Evaporator swap

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
So, next chapter in the ac reinstall. (I hope to get it back in by summer 2022..)

The two pipes going in/out to the evaporator haven't been blocked off when ac pipes have been removed so they're full of dust and other gunk.

I'm tempted to just clean it out as well as I can, but there might be more crap stuck further in the evaporator.

1) Would this cause any big issues in the ac system? (do the evaporator/condenser block easily?)

2) I've looked at the PMS AC delete guide and it seems the evaporator can be taken out via the front but is a bit of a job, anyone done it and how bad a job is it actually?

Thanks!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
If you send anything but PAG oil or gas through a compressor it won't last long at all. Clean everything out and you shouldn't have that horrible feeling in the back of your mind

Also, it's easier to take the alternator out, get the bracket out of the way and then whip the condenser out the top after everything else is out of there. Saves lying on your back getting crap on your face too

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Good point, hadn't really given the compressor itself any thought. That would probably kill itself in no time..

And thanks for the tip, alternator has to move anyway for the compressor to go back in and I'll be replacing the radiator at the same time when I'm putting the condenser back in.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
If you're taking the rad out then you will have plenty of room without messing with the alternator mate

Just check thecondition of the compressor and you may as well replace the pressure switch too because once you've gassed it up that's it 😂

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
It's all coming out as the alternator is down there where the compressor is!

How do I check the condition of the compressor? Anything specific? It came of a car with working ac but I've got no idea of its condition.

Where best to get the pressure switch from, Renault parts direct or would something from ebay work as well? Number 7700837219 is the one to look for?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
It's all coming out as the alternator is down there where the compressor is!

How do I check the condition of the compressor? Anything specific? It came of a car with working ac but I've got no idea of its condition.

Where best to get the pressure switch from, Renault parts direct or would something from ebay work as well? Number 7700837219 is the one to look for?
Aye but you shouldn't have to completely remove the alternator and bracketry if you're hoying the rad out too mate

I'd personally go genuine or a reputable brand, saves any headaches down the line. As for the pump, just check there ain't any debris in where the pipes would connect, they're fairly robust unless you run them all the time with no oil and then they just seize

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, you're right, I'm not being very clear as I'm trying to do three jobs in one go. And I'm even confusing myself right now haha!

Car has got a partial ac delete with the pipework, compressor and condenser removed but the evaporator still in place (with pipes sticking through the bulkhead collecting dirt).

Because of this I need to either clean the pipes or remove and replace the evaporator, but there's very little information on the forum about how easy or difficult this job is.

The alternator has been moved down with a bracket and shorter aux belt so has to be removed and put back in its original place so the compressor can go back in with the associated pulleys and the tensioner.

I've bought a new condenser and while I'm installing that I'm also installing a new radiator as the current one is leaking. (And obviously a new header tank because of looks).

I'll get a new Renault pressure switch then, need to order a new aux belt anyway!

Thank you for all the input, its greatly appreciated!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Ah I've got ya now haha, you should be alright to blow through the evaporator with compressed air to get rid of the crap just make sure to blow through both ways

Might as well do the job once and do it properly mate, these things are a right headache when you spend weeks or months continually finding other things to go wrong! 😂

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I'll see how much I can clean out but otherwise I'll replace the whole thing. As you say, might as well do it properly once, otherwise I keep paying to empty the system and pressure test and regas afterwards.

Trying to source parts is already proving to be a headache, glad I'm not in a hurry! Altough some coolant in the system would be nice for my next track day;)

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I made the mistake with my megane, new condenser and drier... The AC is still a bit poo now so not sure if it's a pressure switch or condenser issue plus the O-ring I replaced is still crap :cry:

Luckily my mate gassed it up so come February I'll sort them issues and slide him a backhand so he can gas it whilst at work haha

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that would really annoy me especially as I'm going to spend a day and a half of my (at the moment) precious time I want it to be right the first time!

Hope you get your Megane sorted!