ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Everlasting Brake Pads

When I had the 12K service the stealer reported the front pads were 50% worn. One year later I've just collected the car after a 24K service. Front Pads are now only 20% worn.. What a f**king joke. Whats the point in including this information when its clearly not accurate.

Lee

BMW M2C
I had exactly the same from Renault Birmingham. When I had a go at them they told me they only have a quick look and it's a rough guess. To check would take longer and would put the cost of the service up.

My brakes are screwed at the moment but it's due it's 36k in a couple of weeks. I'll be asking how they can be so screwed when they were new just 6k miles ago on the front, and the rears were barely worn!!

It really pisses me off because I'm not mechanical and I have to rely on these idiots who just make stuff up as they go.

I had exactly the same from Renault Birmingham. When I had a go at them they told me they only have a quick look and it's a rough guess. To check would take longer and would put the cost of the service up.

My brakes are screwed at the moment but it's due it's 36k in a couple of weeks. I'll be asking how they can be so screwed when they were new just 6k miles ago on the front, and the rears were barely worn!!

It really pisses me off because I'm not mechanical and I have to rely on these idiots who just make stuff up as they go.

Have a lighter left foot ;)

You'll find they just have a quick look, and guess, i've had it before, come to change pads that Renualt said were almost out and there was loads of meta left on them.

Don't forget the inner pad on a sliding caliper system wears quicker then the outer pad.

When you are talking prolly 15-20mm and guessing done by differnt people, its easy to see how you get 50% and then 20%, 20mm thick brake pad thats only 6mm difference, and if one bloke was looking at outside pad and next at inside pad.

Bet oyu'd b**ch if they took them off, measured how much material was left and refitted then and charged you extra?

Lee

BMW M2C
A light left foot on track isn't going to help my slow down is it. lol

I don't care how they do it, what I want is consitency. I was told I had 80% wear a while back so had new pads based on that and some track work coming up. What if they were really only 50% worn and I forked out for new front pads? That's hardly fair on me, because I have to trust the garage.

Because I use my car a fair bit on track I'd be happier if they did charge a little more to pop them out and take a look provided it was disused before they started the work.

I had to ask them to check my brakes in the past and was told there's no need after the miles I'd done. I had to tell them I wanted them checking because of the extra wear they get on track.

I think my fronts are okay at the moment, or they should be as they've not done that much work, I think the rears have reached the end of their life though. They're getting very noisy at the moment. But as you say, they do sod all, but I do have to leave it in gear when parked on a bit slope. lol

Black-Gold 182
Lee, I wouldn't touch Renault Birmingham with a barge pole for servicing! I got my 182 from there second hand, and the car supposidly had a full PDI. However, two weeks after picking it up my brakes failed due to excessive wear on the discs - they replaced them free of charge as "it had been overlooked in the PDI". If my car had a PDI, then I'm the toothfairy!

Lee

BMW M2C
I bought two cars new from them. The guy I dealt with in service was great, but the work done on the car was shocking. I used Sutton Park before Renault Brum (going to the opening of the new place on the 25th), recently I've used Wolvo and now the new one at Cannock. Can't really fault Wolvo or Cannock so far.

I've told Cannock if they keep it up I'll buy my next (and 4th) Renaultsport Clio from them.

I hope they didn't sell you my old 182!!

Black-Gold 182
I bought two cars new from them. The guy I dealt with in service was great, but the work done on the car was shocking. I used Sutton Park before Renault Brum (going to the opening of the new place on the 25th), recently I've used Wolvo and now the new one at Cannock. Can't really fault Wolvo or Cannock so far.

I've told Cannock if they keep it up I'll buy my next (and 4th) Renaultsport Clio from them.

I hope they didn't sell you my old 182!!

Cannock I've heard very good things about. Tamworth is shoddy as hell! (I'll dig out my link I put on here about them... http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=258901 )

It was an ex-demo one from the Renault Brum - FF Black Gold 182. Only one previous owner - the garage, so doubt it'd have been yours mate. Still only done 29k miles, and it's 3 years old now! (done 16k when I had it!).

Lee

BMW M2C
I wish I had the time and ability to do it myself.

Not mine then. Mine was an 04 in Arctic blue, done 18k when I traded it in after having it a year from new. It needed a new exhaust and a rear damper when they took it.

Lunner said:
Bet oyu'd b**ch if they took them off, measured how much material was left and refitted then and charged you extra?
No, this would obviously be discussed before the car is put into the service with them. They are rip off merchants full stop.

1. The courtesy car (Clio Campus, what a crock of s**t these are to drive) has 2 bars of petrol in. The bloke says bring it back with two. As soon as I get a mile up the road 1 bar drops. I drive it for 11 miles, put 2 litres back in, still 1 bar. Gave them the reciept and told them i wasn't putting anymore in.

Why not record milage and tell me I've got x miles instead of treating it like a hire car.

2. Rear wiper blade needs replacing, they want to do it for £17.50. WTF how is this even resonable? I laugh and tell them no thanks.

Final cost £220 with me supplying my own oil (They wanted £290 with oil) I'd expect more. This is the last time it goes to the dealer for a service. They did f**k all for that money.